Split Fin vs Straight Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use split fins and find they kick up less stuff than paddles when used correctly. Best way to use them comfortable frequency and low amplitude, think small moves from the hip instead of big ones. Want to go faster, increase the frequency and leave the amplitude the same, works like that against currewnt as well.

I have no trouble accepting that paddles are better for accuracy, but power and efficiency are determined by physics and splits have the facts on their side. Want to argue this, take it up with Newton first and let me know how you do.

Ah that is my problem. I don't want to go fast underwater, just manouver well :)

I used a set of split fins for the first time at Epcot/Disney Dive Quest last November. All the SB posts are true, You will die with split fins. They were absolutely terrible. You can kick and kick till your heart is content, but you will go nowhere fast.

I would carry a "spare air" long before using split fins. :rofl3:

Keith

My question is why do the split fins swirl up sand and silt up from the bottom about 3' away?

Fins don't kick up silt, divers do.

I have no trouble accepting that paddles are better for accuracy, but power and efficiency are determined by physics and splits have the facts on their side. Want to argue this, take it up with Newton first and let me know how you do.

I was told by an engineer that split fins are actually less efficient than paddle fins, but only marginally so.

Last edited:
When the weather clears up out here a buddy and I are going to swap fins so each of us can try out the other fins and then I may have a dog in the fight. Over the years I have tried a number of styles de jour and keep coming back to the Jets.

My question is why do the split fins swirl up sand and silt up from the bottom about 3' away? My jets don't move stuff off the bottom till I darn near hit it or are at 90 degrees to the bottom kicking for the surface.

Bob

If you use the wrong kick, split fins will make a mess of the bottom, and most divers don't do any training with them, just put them on and go diving.

A big kick with a stiff leg with splits will spray turbulence 5 or 6 feet up and down.

I have a pair of Apollo Bio Fins (split) and Mares Avanti Super Channel full foot fins, I like the Super Channels better for the water I dive in the most which is on vacation in the tropics. They are much lighter to travel with and effortless to use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom