What compares to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP is in Houston. Cozumel is surely the most bang for the buck from Houston. If I were the OP, I'd keep returning to Coz the way Richard returns to Bonaire.

If the op you use on Cozumel only offers you Paradise Reef for afternoon dives, then you should change ops.

I was just about to post the same thing. I've done probably 100 dives in Cozumel in the past 2 years and haven't dove Paradise once. That said Paradise is a good shallow dive and there is nothing wrong with it. In fact I think I'll dive it the end of the month.

I love diving Cozumel. I also love diving Little Cayman, Grand Cayman, especially the East end, Bonaire, Turks & Caicos, and my home reef, Boynton Beach, perhaps especially around Goliath Grouper aggregation. So many places to dive, so little time. Variety is the spice...

If the op you use on Cozumel only offers you Paradise Reef for afternoon dives, then you should change ops.

+1 on that...That struck me as well. Dude..change Dive Ops!

---------- Post added January 14th, 2015 at 02:58 PM ----------

Also have to agree with what many have said already. Cozumel is unique...so I had to learn to quit comparing that way. You are headed to Bonaire, excellent choice. You will enjoy it but for quite different reasons. I am willing to bet you will return to Cozumel after your Bonaire trip, and then you will find yourself wanting to return to Bonaire as well.

Parts of St.Croix, Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Bonaire, & Dominica all rank right up there with Cozumel diving for me.

Parts of St.Croix, Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Bonaire, & Dominica all rank right up there with Cozumel diving for me.

I can't really speak knowledgeably about the other locations, but I would agree that Grand Cayman is every bit as good, for DIVING, as Cozumel. There are even a couple of dives on Grand Cayman that may be better than anything on Cozumel. The problem for me, at least, has always been cost. Even when I could get to Grand Cayman for the same (or even a bit less) than what it costs to get to Cozumel, it costs 2-3 times as much to stay and eat in Grand Cayman, and about double for the Diving. For the same cost as a week on Grand Cayman, I can stay, eat well, and dive on Cozumel for 3 weeks. So, is the diving on Grand Cayman three times as good as on Cozumel? In my estimation, no way.

If I had unlimited funds and time, I would dive in a lot more locations, and I would certainly visit Grand Cayman more often. However, diving on a budget means that Cozumel is my go to location - definitely most bang for the buck.

Having dove many of the carib dive destinations numerous times, our favorites are coz, Bonaire, roatan, little cayman. However, the "diving" in the Philippines and Indonesia is a step above the carib and in some cases that step is a big one......

We liked the Brac. Having your own pet Labrador...er grouper on dives is fun.

I would find it hard to compare Coz to other destinations. We've been to (beside Coz) Salt Cay/Provo/Grand Turk (Turks and Caicos), Cayman Brac x2, Barbados, Carriacou. Each is different with it's own pro's and con's.

Taking a break from the Caribbean and hitting the Pacific for our next 3 trips.

Hoping it's a step up! For 24-36 hour flights and a 12hr time change it better be... lol

Roatan checked all the boxes for us. Went 5 years in a row and couldn't stop. We hit Roatan for our very first dive trip on August 31, as hot as it can get there, stayed at Coco Lobo, had the place to ourselves for $75 a night w electricity, dives were $25 and I needed to do it cheap since I was an airline pilot then. Last time I was in Cozumel I was 8 in 1980. Heading to Coz for 2 weeks in June 2015...I love sweltering weather and most of these wonderful snarky posts.

Back
Top Bottom