What compares to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It just dawned on me; have you considered a short live-aboard trip on the Fling to the Flower Gardens? It operates out of Texas. I don't know how bad a drive that would be for you, but if it's not too bad, you might not need airfare! Living in KY, I've been reluctant to fly down & do it myself, since I can go elsewhere & bang out more dives in easier conditions I believe, but you live in Texas!

Aside from 6 trips to Cozumel, I've been in Playa Del Carmen, Oahu, and Bora Bora. All three were completely underwhelming in comparison. To me, Cozumel is the most amazing underwater environment I can imagine. I love, love, love the wall dives, drift diving, the huge coral structures, the turtles, occasional sharks, etc. etc.

Seems to me that instead of diving another destination in spite of the differences, might be worthwhile to pick one because of the differences. I gave the example of Jupiter, Fl, a fine destination, which is very different from shore diving Bonaire. I'm hoping to do 2 dive trips this summer; a live-aboard in Belize (classic warm water aquarium-like conditions, not too deep unless we hit the Blue Hole, said to be pretty easy diving) and a trip to Morehead, North Carolina to do deep wrecks about 2 hours boat trip out into the Atlantic, so I can dive with substantial numbers of sand tiger sharks.

Those 2 trips, Lord willing and providing I get to go and have a good time, will not look much alike. But each could be wonderful. And I chose them for different reasons.

Richard.

---------- Post added January 31st, 2015 at 01:21 AM ----------

Just checked on the map. The Fling operates out of Freeport, Tx, about 60 miles from Houston, which you list as your location. They have 2 & 3 day charters. A little checking around online suggests rough ballpark $600 for a 2 day charter. Bit more for 3 day. Nitrox available. Maybe you could to 2 charters in a row; a 2 then a 3 day?

Richard.

so I can dive with substantial numbers of sand tiger sharks..

Lovely....

hero_EB20000820REVIEWS088200301AR.jpg

I can't really speak knowledgeably about the other locations, but I would agree that Grand Cayman is every bit as good, for DIVING, as Cozumel. There are even a couple of dives on Grand Cayman that may be better than anything on Cozumel. The problem for me, at least, has always been cost. Even when I could get to Grand Cayman for the same (or even a bit less) than what it costs to get to Cozumel, it costs 2-3 times as much to stay and eat in Grand Cayman, and about double for the Diving. For the same cost as a week on Grand Cayman, I can stay, eat well, and dive on Cozumel for 3 weeks. So, is the diving on Grand Cayman three times as good as on Cozumel? In my estimation, no way.

If I had unlimited funds and time, I would dive in a lot more locations, and I would certainly visit Grand Cayman more often. However, diving on a budget means that Cozumel is my go to location - definitely most bang for the buck.
Interesting. I've made three dive trips to Grand Cayman, so I've experienced lots of shore and boat diving there. Admittedly I haven't tried the east or south sides, but I was less than impressed with the diving on the north wall as compared to Cozumel. And that's without cost being a factor. I find the terrain more interesting and the fish life more prolific in Cozumel.

Richard, Flower Gardens is on my list :) It's a hefty boat ride though!
The other thing about the Flower Gardens is that the weather can change out there between the time you leave the dock and when you get to the reef. I know of a couple of trips that had to be scrubbed on site; the boat just turned around and returned to port. My LDS stopped organizing Flower Garden trips because that happened to them.

Inexpensive lodging and meals with excellent diving. Caye Caulker, Belize. Large animals, healthy reefs, uncrowded. Blue Hole underwhelming but reefs surrounding it are amazing! Favorite dive sites: Shark/Ray alley - aptly named, close to Caulker and awesome. The Aquarium - another aptly named awesome dive but only reached when booking Blue Hole.
I found the diving in Belize to be better than Coz since reef devastation of Wilma and increased cruise ship activity.

2 weeks in the Aldora villas is the same or very close to Dive into Ambon pricing, similar 2bedroom. I use points for airfare so it's a wash. Hmmm might not be going back to Coz for a while yet.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom