What compares to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP Update. I did go to Bonaire and WOW! Nothing beats the ability to grab tanks and dive WHENEVER you want! I definitely see the appeal. Bonaire beats Cozumel in the fish variety and coral health departments IMO, but I much prefer the topography in Coz. I will be back in Coz in August, trying out Pompano in December and then I will finally get to see what Roatan is all about next Spring :)

Bottom line, Coz is still my number one, but I'm having fun trying to find a contender :)

I realize there is a big world out there and plenty of amazing exotic places to dive (philippines, maldives, palau are all on my diving bucket list). My question is, which destinations compare to Cozumel in Mexico/Caribbean/Central America in terms of diving? I like to take a couple of trips per year and this is the only region that is feasible for me monetarily. I'm happy going back to Cozumel every year, but I worry that I may be missing out on some other amazing places. What are y'alls thoughts??

**By the way, I do have a trip planned to Bonaire in May, but I'm looking for a second trip this summer

Mexico is pretty cheap and close for Americans, so if price is the deciding factor Cozumel will be tough to beat. But for quality of diving and you have to keep it in the Caribbean, you can beat Cozumel if you focus on the atolls of Belize for the larger variety of bigger stuff such as sharks, tons of eagle rays, dozens of morays and actual schools of bigger predator fish like jacks ... the diving around Turneffe, Lighthouse and Half Moon can surpass Cozumel easily, however not many people realize the potential of Belize since so many people's experience with diving in Belize ends up around Ambergris Caye which is really pretty mediocre, it takes more effort and more money to get out to the atolls, but will be well worth it if you want some of the best diving in the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom