When to start the DM course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thal, I think that would be a great idea. Could we turn your course something that could be taught elsewhere? Yes, I know you are thinking that if you don't teach it it won't be the same but I think we would all be interested to learn more about it.

As a new DM, I was very interested in reading this thread.

Like many, I never expected to get into the pro side of things...just wanted to dive.

After 10+ years, however, and having a few instructors ask me, "...have you ever considered...?" I guess I bit the hook. For me, it went so well that our course director has suggested that I consider IDC/IE.

If you're thinking this much about it....go for it. You'll be happy you did it!

Thal, I think that would be a great idea. Could we turn your course something that could be taught elsewhere? Yes, I know you are thinking that if you don't teach it it won't be the same but I think we would all be interested to learn more about it.
I stole everything I teach from someone else, it didn't require them, it doesn't require me. I've tried to pass it on through every staff member I've ever trained. Any way in which I can assure that the techniques that we have developed and the values that we have taught are passed on and further refined I'm happy to do.

Last edited:
I stole everything I teach from someone else, it didn't require them, it doesn't require me. I've tried to pass it on through every staff member I've ever trained. Any way in which I can assure that the techniques that we have developed and the values that we have taught are passed on and further refined I'm happy to do.
Now, you've really hooked me. Awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not exactly a skill, but I think people should understand what it is they're getting into and why. It seems like some people decide they should do a DM class because their dive shop or agency encourages it and it just seems like the next thing to do, or a cool thing to do. They don't really understand what they will learn and what they will not learn, have misguided ideas about making money at it, etc.

I know a shop that runs a fair number of PADI classes of all sorts. My sense is they tend to exactly meet standards in the minimum amount of time they can do it. Not bad classes compared to some you hear about, but they don't go out of their way to do an exceptional job either - it's a business pure and simple. I'm sure they produce some DMs that are good, because they would have turned out that way anyway. Many that just pay their money, take the course, and never do anything with it. And the occasional bozo. I was talking to someone who was planning to take one of the several upcoming scheduled DM classes at this place and they didn't seem to have any good reason why they were doing it other than it seemed like the thing to do.

If someone starts in the "seems like the thing to do" camp and still feels like it after understanding enough about the whole thing, then have at it. Just think it's good to go into it with eyes open.

When do you start the DM course?

I'm not talking about a minimum number of dives that is required to begin the course or to be certified as one.

At what level should your skills be before you can start thinking about it?

When you learn not to hold your breath and when you can read your guages properly-----evrything will fall into place.....

I have been diving for 9 years (August 24th I completed my Open Water) and I since I completed my Rescue Diver my Instructor told me to watch everything he does and all the other staff. I helped out around the shop, such as tank fills, helping him get kit ready, getting weights, working in and around the shop helping with whatever I can, and doing some skill dives and working on my buoyancy etc, rescue skills, first aid etc.

I guess I'm fortunate to be best friends with my Instructor and I get quite abit of attention from him and the other instructors and DM's that work at his centre with advice and training.

But just give it time! Practice your skills and if you can talk to your dive centre that you dive with if you have one.

Last hijack on this thread. I'll start something in the Advanced Diving area so that we do not exclude the nonleadership types.

Project canceled for the moment till I find a better home for it.

Last edited:
I've created a social group "Scripps Model 100 Hour Course." Apply to join and read.

Back
Top Bottom