What compares to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoobajay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've only been diving for the last 5 years or so. Aside from 6 trips to Cozumel, I've been in Playa Del Carmen, Oahu, and Bora Bora. All three were completely underwhelming in comparison. To me, Cozumel is the most amazing underwater environment I can imagine. I love, love, love the wall dives, drift diving, the huge coral structures, the turtles, occasional sharks, etc. etc. I also love that it's a two hour flight and a cheap stay at pretty much any hotel.

I realize there is a big world out there and plenty of amazing exotic places to dive (philippines, maldives, palau are all on my diving bucket list). My question is, which destinations compare to Cozumel in Mexico/Caribbean/Central America in terms of diving? I like to take a couple of trips per year and this is the only region that is feasible for me monetarily. I'm happy going back to Cozumel every year, but I worry that I may be missing out on some other amazing places. What are y'alls thoughts??

**By the way, I do have a trip planned to Bonaire in May, but I'm looking for a second trip this summer

I guess the destination would to have current :)--------personally, I've made my last dives in CZM(as of a couple years ago)........For me ---& taking pictures----there are better destinations to spend my time......It took me a few years but I finally realized why I went 18 years between trips there('89 till '07).....I'd much rather ---as my quicky, go to place---Little Cayman or Brac......

Last edited:
The only Caribbean place I can compare to Cozumel is Little Cayman (not Cayman Brac). But the dives are pretty limited and after one week you have seen it all. That plus it is a real chore to get to, and very expensive. But I do go back every few years as a "busman's holiday", but not to Little Cayman Beach Resort, Pirate's point is the far better choice.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS Yes, while there I do miss the current!

There is no Cozumel except for Cozumel, and if you judge other destinations by Cozumel standards, many will come up short. Let's take your upcoming Bonaire trip, from 2 perspectives. After your trip, consider coming back to this thread & letting us know if either or both of my perspectives predicted your experience.

1.) Cozaholic - Bleh! The viz. is good but not as good, there's almost no current so we have to fin everywhere, aside from tarpon on night dives I don't see much big stuff at all, most dive sites look like a roughly 45 degree sloping hillside with corals, sponges & gorgonians on them but aside from the Cliff (& Small Wall, if you boat dive), there's nowhere near the variety of underwater topography! And you'll probably not see a single shark the whole trip. Nobody's offering steel 120 cf tanks! Where are all those wonderful Cozumel restaurants? Look at that airfare!!!

2.) Open-minded - Wow! I can dive 24/7, any time I want, without having to coordinate with anybody, no dive boat needed, walk in, swim out a hundred feet or so (varies) and drop down, dive as short or as long as I've got gas for, nitrox at no extra charge (at a lot of places), it's buffet diving so I can bang out live-aboard dive #'s or 2 or 3 a day & relax, if you're athletic try wind surfing or kite boarding, and while the plane ticket's expensive the dive resort/truck/dive package (likely free nitrox upgrade) is a pretty sweet deal.

One other drift dive destination I sampled was Jupiter, Florida, last September. The ledges had some reef coverage but nowhere close to the glory of Cozumel, and the viz. was nowhere close either. But I got 1 photo with (at least pieces of) 12 goliath grouper in it. And if I had chosen to go out with Emerald Dive Charters (I did not) on a shark feeding dive, I could have probably seen some close up shark action.

My point is, each destination has its own merits. Key Largo? Fishy, shallow reef diving & a lot of it. North Carolina? I hear deep wreck diving with sand tiger sharks (I hope to do this soon). And so on...

Richard.

Dudes... Coz is nice, but there are other places that are as good, and better, although different. Admittedly, I haven't been to Cozumel in may years, but even a decade ago the reefs were showing the wear from a few gazillion divers blowing past every day. If you like busy, it's an awesome place.

Scoobajay, you should look into Little Cayman, and the outer cayes of Belize to start. Very different "vibe" than Cozumel, so if nightlife and partying are important, these aren't the places for you. If you want to e blown away by pristine diving, look into Turneffe Island Resort or Huracan Diving in Belize. We are about to head back to Huracan again... We kinda like having the entire area to ourselves... As in two islands, two complete atolls (including a national marine park) virtually all to ourselves. last year there was 5 of us there. Period.

I think Rich summed that up quite well. If I am forced to choose between Bonaire and Cozumel I have to choose both! I was in Bonaire last month and heading to Coz in less than two weeks. Later this Spring my wife and I are going to Palau. If it lives up to the billing it will be exceptional. We are doing it on the cheap so no liveaboard but I think we will have a great time with our dive shop buddies. Right now in my little frozen part of the world it is -10 F and dropping like a rock. Did I mention I am going to Coz in less than two weeks?:cool2:

Bonaire, Curacao, Cayman, Belize, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Dominica, Turks&Caicos, Roatan, Utila - all good places to go diving in the Caribbean. And all different - really depends what is most important to you.

I have been to Cozumel a few times and really like it. As for being 2 hours flight you might try Roatan. It isn't the same a Cozumel but there are some great wall dives and the occasional drift dive there as I recall. In all honesty, Cozumel can be compared to the last trip to Cozumel. I have yet to go anywhere that I would not return. I have enjoyed each and every dive trip I have taken, each for different reasons. You never know until you try other places. Even then you might return to Cozumel over and over. I know a person who liked it there so much when he retired he moved there. Oh, that was Cozumel however, it might be anyplace. That would depend on what you like best.

I've only been diving for the last 5 years or so. Aside from 6 trips to Cozumel, I've been in Playa Del Carmen, Oahu, and Bora Bora. All three were completely underwhelming in comparison. To me, Cozumel is the most amazing underwater environment I can imagine. I love, love, love the wall dives, drift diving, the huge coral structures, the turtles, occasional sharks, etc. etc. I also love that it's a two hour flight and a cheap stay at pretty much any hotel.

I realize there is a big world out there and plenty of amazing exotic places to dive (philippines, maldives, palau are all on my diving bucket list). My question is, which destinations compare to Cozumel in Mexico/Caribbean/Central America in terms of diving? I like to take a couple of trips per year and this is the only region that is feasible for me monetarily. I'm happy going back to Cozumel every year, but I worry that I may be missing out on some other amazing places. What are y'alls thoughts??

**By the way, I do have a trip planned to Bonaire in May, but I'm looking for a second trip this summer
Cheap & current == Coz. No where else for you.
Expensive & current == lots of places in the Pacific! But not in the Caribbean.

Most of Caribbean diving is easy (low currents) and small critters.

But you can get the big currents and big fish in the Caribbean if you specifically book / arrange it. But you should be prepared to have your diving cancelled due to "rough" conditions. The "east side" of Bonaire, Saba and Dominica all offer big currents and big fish, but generally low chance of doing the dive due to perceived rough conditions (in relation to the sheltered west side).

1.) Cozaholic - Bleh! The viz. is good but not as good, there's almost no current so we have to fin everywhere, aside from tarpon on night dives I don't see much big stuff at all, most dive sites look like a roughly 45 degree sloping hillside with corals, sponges & gorgonians on them but aside from the Cliff (& Small Wall, if you boat dive), there's nowhere near the variety of underwater topography! And you'll probably not see a single shark the whole trip. Nobody's offering steel 120 cf tanks! Where are all those wonderful Cozumel restaurants? Look at that airfare!!!

2.) Open-minded - Wow! I can dive 24/7, any time I want, without having to coordinate with anybody, no dive boat needed, walk in, swim out a hundred feet or so (varies) and drop down, dive as short or as long as I've got gas for, nitrox at no extra charge (at a lot of places), it's buffet diving so I can bang out live-aboard dive #'s or 2 or 3 a day & relax, if you're athletic try wind surfing or kite boarding, and while the plane ticket's expensive the dive resort/truck/dive package (likely free nitrox upgrade) is a pretty sweet deal.
There are some excellent restaurants in Bonaire as well. Price wise, it may be a wash. Higher airfare and the cost of the truck rental versus paying only a few bucks per dive. What I really appreciate about Bonaire is the small island atmosphere. Kralendijk is a village compared to the bustling metropolis of San Miguel. The need to fin everywhere might affect air consumption, but with free tank fills, who cares? Being able to stay in place without effort makes photography much easier.

---------- Post added January 12th, 2015 at 10:56 PM ----------

I think Rich summed that up quite well. If I am forced to choose between Bonaire and Cozumel I have to choose both! I was in Bonaire last month and heading to Coz in less than two weeks. Later this Spring my wife and I are going to Palau. If it lives up to the billing it will be exceptional. We are doing it on the cheap so no liveaboard but I think we will have a great time with our dive shop buddies. Right now in my little frozen part of the world it is -10 F and dropping like a rock. Did I mention I am going to Coz in less than two weeks?:cool2:
IMO, Palau definitely lives up to the billing. Overall, it's my absolute favorite dive locale and I've experienced quite a few.

---------- Post added January 12th, 2015 at 11:02 PM ----------

I have no doubt PDC was underwhelming compared to Cozumel. Oahu is probably the worst of the Hawaiian islands to dive; I keep telling myself I need to try it sometime, but never got around to it because Maui and the Big Island are almost as convenient. Bora Bora has some nice shark activity and very clear water, mantas too I'm told, but the corals are monotonous and fish life scant. Next time you visit FP, try the Tuamotus for big animal diving that will blow away anything you've experienced before.

Put Indonesia on your bucket list too. Komodo, Raja Ampat, etc. Probably the best diving in the world, though some of the hardest to get to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom