New BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not all the plates and wings have the same hole spacing, so there is some limitation to mixing and matching. Or at least that was the case when I bought mine, which was quite awhile ago. Anyway do check for things like that if you mix and match.

Nearly every manufacture uses the 11 inch spacing that is close to an industry standard. Some plates have a slot machined for the lower hole to allow for small differences. Other plates use several holes so you can adjust the tank and wing up or down to suit your preferences.

So far, we have someone saying
-Dive Rite wings are awesome, they are the way to go
-Halcyon wings are awesome, they are the way to go
-Oxycheq wings are awesome, they are the way to go
-Deep Sea Supply wings are awesome, they are the way to go

There are a few other manufacturers of wings, like HOG, that are also good.

I've seen every one of those wings in use, and all of them are good products. I would have absolutely no qualms about using any of them with my gear. What is much more important is buying the right size wing for your needs. My singles wing is too big, and makes it hard to dump air with a slightly off center dump valve, when the wing isn't fully inflated, plus it tacos around the tank. That doesn't mean it's a bad product, just that it's too big. I am absolutely kicking myself for not picking up a new DR Travel wing for $80 at their demo sell off last year :(

In short, you don't need to buy everything from one manufacturer. Infact, save cash and buy the plate used, heck buy the wing used too if you can find it. Or, if you buy new, buy whatever you like best. None of those brands are terrible, though some people have bad experiences with any company, and some people have amazing experiences. I think you'll be pretty happy with any of them.

Heck, buy a singles wing from one and a doubles wing from another. Aluminum plate from one, and then a SS plate from the last, and enjoy yourself! :)

If you are in Florida, Dive Rite is real close. I think DSS is out in California or atleast somewhere out west. Oxycheq....are they in north Florida? Halcyon is also located in Florida. To some people, that makes a difference.

If you want to call someone and have them walk you through the process of deciding which product is best for you from their line, I daresay that Tobin at DSS is your man. He has bouyancy needs down to a science, and will give you very specific recommendations. His products are top notch, just as good as his customer service.

As JahJah said, most mfgs have embraced the 11 inch spacing as standard.
What sometimes happens though, is the slots in wings and plates of different mfg's don't quite line up. In that case, a STA will fix it. (I prefer a STA)

Not all plates and wings are equal too.
Some plates are flatter or different sizes than others. Some have bends to avoid digging edges into the diver. Some of the holes in the plates are designed to receive the manufacturer's accessories. Halcyon's MC storage pack, DSS weight plates, DiveRite's padding for example. The spine of the DSS plates is specifically designed to receive the DSS wobble stopper and "compression blocks". Then there is the Freedom plate, Oxy travel, Oxy light weight, Zeagle Soft plate and the Dark Arts plate.

Flat plates will keep a single tank valve closer to you for easy access but may not allow storage behind the plate. (I store a very large DSMB behind mine)

Wings are different too. Some more narrow and easier to manage the gas bubble. There are different biases too. Diverite has a huge lower wing to "offset the weight on a belt". (I think they taco too much.) On the Oxy and DSS donuts you will see more lower wing on the bottom than Halcyon. Halcyon has more wing on the top with their singles wings.

On another site, somebody posted he indeed sold his Halcyon because it tended to put him in a head up position where an Oxy MV did not. I have never used a Halcyon. I have used Deep Outdoors, DiveRight, OMS and 3 different Oxy wings. Maybe others I don't recall.

If you're top heavy, maybe the Halcyon is for you?
Point is, there is a lot stuff out there.

Not sure I helped, but price is not everything. Be best if you could try them all. :)

I have 2 DR plates I drilled to receive Halcyon MC storage packs, one piece harnesses with hardware I just picked up and 2 Oxy wings. 3 different STA's. A mini Oxy, a light weight Oxy and a weighted Hammer head.

On another site, somebody posted he indeed sold his Halcyon because it tended to put him in a head up position where an Oxy MV did not. I have never used a Halcyon. I have used Deep Outdoors, DiveRight, OMS and 3 different Oxy wings. Maybe others I don't recall.

@Splitlip: I've used my Halcyon BP/W (Eclipse 30) for 7+ years in cold and warm water conditions. Never have I had issues with the air in the wing or the wing's overall shape putting me in a head-up/feet-down position.

Poor trim in a BP/W? That's a new one. It sounds like the guy who sold the Halcyon setup for that reason was very inexperienced, not very knowledgeable, or likely a combination of the two.

Not all cam band wing slots will align with the slots on all BP's.

I agree with splitlip, some wings have a bias towards the top or bottom. Trim can be affected by the position of a rigs weight, the amount on a weight belt, etc, & the bias of the wing.

@Splitlip: I've used my Halcyon BP/W (Eclipse 30) for 7+ years in cold and warm water conditions. Never have I had issues with the air in the wing or the wing's overall shape putting me in a head-up/feet-down position.

Poor trim in a BP/W? That's a new one. It sounds like the guy who sold the Halcyon setup for that reason was very inexperienced, not very knowledgeable, or likely a combination of the two.

LOL.

That was the reason for the question mark.

I don't know it from personal experience. My point was there are a lot of different products out there. DR's site at one time did say that the lower "bias" of there wings was to offset the weight on the belt. Haven't searched it recently.

Different people, different body types. Some need ankle weights, some need gaiters, some need positively buoyant fins, some negative, some need to slide the tank higher, some lower, some need trim weights up high, some add weights to the bottom of the tank, some put an ankle weight on the tank valve...all using BPW's . Maybe some need upper bias, and some lower with a wing. IJS. Wings are different.

I have seen a number of mfgs discuss "wing bias" when it comes to trim and and streamlining, and I think Tobin was one of them. His Torus has a lot of wing at the bottom. I suspect there may be a reason he put it there.

I got my BP/W from Cave Adventurers. Only had to speak to them once over the phone and they were great in helping get things figured out. Plus it seems a bit cheaper than the prices you quoted. Oxycheq 30 lb. singles wing, harness, crotch strap, SS cam bands, and AL plate for $375 shipped. Only a few bucks more for SS plate. I'm getting ready to buy from them again soon :)

LOL.

That was the reason for the question mark.

I don't know it from personal experience. My point was there are a lot of different products out there. DR's site at one time did say that the lower "bias" of there wings was to offset the weight on the belt. Haven't searched it recently.

Different people, different body types. Some need ankle weights, some need gaiters, some need positively buoyant fins, some negative, some need to slide the tank higher, some lower, some need trim weights up high, some add weights to the bottom of the tank, some put an ankle weight on the tank valve...all using BPW's . Maybe some need upper bias, and some lower with a wing. IJS. Wings are different.

I have seen a number of mfgs discuss "wing bias" when it comes to trim and and streamlining, and I thinkTobin was one of them. His Torus has a lot of wing at the bottom. I suspect there may be a reason he put it there.

Some do, some don't. The T35 has a large bottom bias, the T26 doesn't. I'm pretty sure he puts the bias there for a reason.

Last edited:
I'll throw one more name in the hat, Hollis. I have a Hollis SS backplate and wing, with a Dive Rite Hog harness. I am very happy with it. Lots of great equipment to be had these days.

I have only used the Halcyon System and Works great, Love it every dive. Luckily when i purched the system the Had a special going that you can get the doubles wing for only an extra 100.00 which I know now was an awesome deal and happy I got it. I did upgrade later to the cinch system and I have to say it is a nice convience but Noe one that you absolutly need as sometime the the straps still get stuck if the Rubber bands are close when pulling straps. I have yet to take it off under water but there is a little but extra of an ease to getting it on. My only difficulty was getting the unit on as it always seemed to get stuck on my drysuit exhaust valve

I think with 11 inch spacing and the use of a STA it doesn't really matter which brand of backplate you buy. What matters more is the material (steel or aluminum [or something other]) and the weight. I saw a 12lb (IIRC) plate at the Tacoma show last year that I kinda wish I had. You also don't really need ongoing customer service for those components. The wing, on the other hand, is an item where brands and service may make a difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom