33 Of The Best Diving Sites In The World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob did you get to do Current City???

All the sites we did were on the north side of the Marine Reserve. My favorite was a pinnacle called Batu Bolong.

I think most of the sites we hit could've been called Current City ... but none of them had that name. Current seems to be the name of the game in Komodo ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Living in Jupiter, Fl, I can attest to the beautiful diving here. I go out almost every weekend (sometimes get up to 5 dives in) and never cease to be amazed at the beauty around me. I've been to Bonaire and the Keys and also think they're beautiful spots. Have some trips planned this year for some of the other spots on the list, and have many more I'd like to make in the future, but I'm happy just diving here, too.

Interesting list. I've done Koh Tao, Thailand; Lighthouse Reef, Belize, but not the Blue Hole; Fiji; Florida Keys... oh, yes, and good old Catalina. Done a few (thousand) dives there. HATED the picture accompanying its description.

What's with the guy grabbing hold of the octopus (and not the dangling type that Bob talks about). It should have been a picture of a giant sea bass. I just e-mailed them about it and offered to provide pictures free of charge if they'd replace the one they have up.

A number of the sites are on my life list... if I live and dive that long!

last i checked Catalina was in the pacific Jen.. :mooner:

i didn't mention tropical did i? hahaha

You're such a ****!~ You know what I mean...there is a big difference between California Pacific and Indo-Pacific!

All the sites we did were on the north side of the Marine Reserve. My favorite was a pinnacle called Batu Bolong.

I think most of the sites we hit could've been called Current City ... but none of them had that name. Current seems to be the name of the game in Komodo ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually Bob, I believe that is the local name for Current City. It's a large pinnacle that kind of sits in the middle of several different converging channels. Swirling currents EVERYWHERE!! We had to drop on flat side and kind of work from one side to the other on that face. If you came to close the edge you could feel the currents. It was a RUSH! I actually have some pretty good topside video that I took when one of the boat boys took me all the way around the rock in the inflatable. Our DM, Herry, actually said people have died there because they get sucked into a down current towards the end of the dive if they are not careful. Of course he told us this after the dive was over and we were back on the boat!!

I've been to quite a few on that list, too. A couple of them with guys from this board, as a matter of fact! Lynne, my wife and I were in Rangiroa a couple of months ago and it is far and away the best place I've been. We stayed at the Kia Ora which I very highly recommend, and dove with TopDive there which I highly recommend that you avoid. I very, very strongly recommend that you dive with Blue Dolphin dive center on the Kia Ora property. The owner, June, is very nice and runs a top-notch shop. They also service trimix and rebreathers, which TopDive does not. TopDive runs a very shabby, loose shop ... for instance they don't even really make it easy for divers to test the nitrox mix you're about to dive with - you're just supposed to take their word for it (thank God I brought my own O2 tester with me). In addition, you'll get that snotty French attitude from them that you'll unfortunately find all too often in French Poly.

I was in Komodo a couple weeks ago, and we didn't do that one. Is it in the south part of the park? I think all our dives were on the north side. We had some pretty fantastic dives, though ... definitely superior to a lot of the places mentioned in the OP's link ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Trip report??? Photos????

Looking at doing a similar trip so waiting...... or have I missed it?

Actually Bob, I believe that is the local name for Current City. It's a large pinnacle that kind of sits in the middle of several different converging channels. Swirling currents EVERYWHERE!! We had to drop on flat side and kind of work from one side to the other on that face. If you came to close the edge you could feel the currents. It was a RUSH! I actually have some pretty good topside video that I took when one of the boat boys took me all the way around the rock in the inflatable. Our DM, Herry, actually said people have died there because they get sucked into a down current towards the end of the dive if they are not careful. Of course he told us this after the dive was over and we were back on the boat!!
Sounds like Batu Bolong alright! We liked it so much we did it twice ... swimming in the lee of pinnacle during both ebb and flood. Definitely one of my all-time favorite dive sites.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sounds like Batu Bolong alright! We liked it so much we did it twice ... swimming in the lee of pinnacle during both ebb and flood. Definitely one of my all-time favorite dive sites.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes, I would totally agree...Awesome dive site!! I gotta get back there soon!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom