33 Of The Best Diving Sites In The World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to three on that list.

Cozumel, I liked it. Lots of fish, but not so great for coral. Then again, it was after the hurricane. Would definately go back.

Bonaire, I love the place. Tons of macro, coral everywhere, super stupid easy diving, and for me cheap and convenient!

Great Blue Hole, Belize- Underwhelming. Had to deal with a long pounding boat ride out and back from Ambergris Caye, there was really not much of interest to me at depth. The only cool part about it was the sharks near the surface, but they stayed too far away for my camera. The atoll dives we did that same day however made the trip worthwhile.

Honestly I see the Blue Hole in every top list, and I wonder why? Just my opinion anyway. Glad I did it but unless it is included in another trip I will never do Blue Hole again...

I'd have to put my vote in for Curacao and Queensland Australia. Some of the best diving that I'd ever done. Though it is funny... the picture for Vanuata looks like the tugboat wreck in Curacao.

I'd say that a lot of the sites listed are based more on popularity than quality.

I wasn't all that impressed with Maui. It was nice ... but I'd hardly put it in the "tops in the world" category. In fact, I'd put it near the bottom of the warm-water dive destinations I've been to.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What didn't you like about Maui? I've only done one dive in Hawaii back in 1980, although I lived there for nine years...and realize it's an "aquatic desert" relative to the Indo Pacific as far as species diversity due to its isolation. But the visibility that's there at times can make up for other shortcomings...IMHO...although it's kind of cold there too...but not for a PacNW diver.

What didn't you like about Maui? I've only done one dive in Hawaii back in 1980, although I lived there for nine years...and realize it's an "aquatic desert" relative to the Indo Pacific as far as species diversity due to its isolation. But the visibility that's there at times can make up for other shortcomings...IMHO...although it's kind of cold there too...but not for a PacNW diver.
I didn't say that I didn't like Maui ... it was nice enough. I just don't think it rates "best in world" status.

I can get 200 foot vis in Crescent Lake ... that doesn't make it a world-class dive site.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I often read that the Dahab Blue Hole is a very dangerous dive, and they repeat that here. Nonsense. I have been on dangerous dives and that isn't one of them. The fact that quite a few people have died there doesn't make it dangerous, it just means that it's too easy for people unprepared by training, experience, temperament and equipment carried to jump in and give it a go.

I agree with most people's assessment that the Belize Blue Hole is an underwhelming dive site. Yet people queue up to pay their $250 to go there.

I Though it is funny... the picture for Vanuata looks like the tugboat wreck in Curacao.

Yes, I thought that too.

Been to Maui (fun) Bahamas (Nassau is an underwater wasteland compared to other places), Catalina (my vote for a great dive location), Florida Keys ( depends on the location), Bonaire (hands down a winner).

Ribbon Reefs GBR not there???

Also why no Vancouver Island?

And no St Lawrence wreck dives? Great diversity of wreck types, no mention here. PFFFT.

I third the don't handle the sealife sentiment.

I've been to several of these spots and have to agree with Grateful, Cannibal Rock, Komodo. Raja Ampat. Lembeh, heck even Tulamben out classes Cozumel by a long shot, but God made chocolate and vanilla for a reason. imho there are a few nice dives in the Carib but most of them have been tore up and beat down.

Don't think I've seen Roatan on *anyone's* list...
Haven't been there, but plan to next couple of months... (is this an oversight, or just nothing special?)

I've done 11 of the 33----Loved them all, especially Chuuk and Palau's Blue Corner.

P.S. Gilboa Quarry is by far the best quarry in the US, maybe beyond.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom