BP&W vs jacket BC, AGAIN!

What BCD did you first dive, and how do you dive now?

• I started with a BP&W and still dive a BP&W

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I started with a rear-inflate BC and still dive a rear-inflate BC

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I started with a jacket BC and still dive a jacket BC

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • I started with a BP&W and now dive a rear-inflate BC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I started with a BP&W and now dive a jacket BC

• I started with a rear-inflate BC and now dive BP&W

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I started with a rear-inflate BC and now dive a jacket BC

• I started with a jacket BC and now dive a BP&W

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • I started with a jacket BC and now dive a rear-inflate BC

Votes: 7 6.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started with a Scubapro jacket for several years and then bought a Scubapro Seahawk BI. I'd say right now I dive the Seahawk about 70% of the time and my jacket 30%. Tried a BP/W and didn't find it to be any better than what I had. Actually, didn't like it as well.

Someone once told me: "You only ever hire consultants to tell you things that you actually already know."

Not sure why that thought suddenly popped into my head.

When I started this thread I not only had a good idea of how it would turn out, but also of which regulars would post. Knowing how it is likely to turn out is different from: (1) caring how it turns out; and (2) having certainty in the outcome.

I didn't bother with the poll part because I knew how it would turn out. The many polls and surveys done on ScubaBoard on similar topics over the years have shown clearly that BP/W users are highly over-represented in the sampling population here, so the results have no meaning in relation to the diving world as a whole. (And, just for the record, I went from back inflate to BP/W, so I am not anti-BP/W, just anti-trying to draw any conclusions from this poll.)

I have worked as a contract instructor for two different shops here in Boulder, and I have a decent working knowledge of what goes on in the other Colorado dive shops. Colorado has among the highest per capita number of divers of any state in the nation, so we are not a diving backwater. We have a surprisingly large number of dedicated dive shops considering our landlocked location. Only a handful of shops in the state sell BP/Ws, and those that do sell very few. I have not heard of any widespread discontent among divers with the equipment they purchased. In fact, I have never heard of it from anyone at all. The retail staffs with which I work never mention it, and I never hear about it when I teach advanced classes or refreshers to people who own their own equipment. In my experience in Colorado, the OP statement that divers buy gear and then regret their selection is a huge stretch. Colorado divers buy jacket BCDs in overwhelming numbers, and they seem to be happy with them.

the OP statement that divers buy gear and then regret their selection is a huge stretch. Colorado divers buy jacket BCDs in overwhelming numbers, and they seem to be happy with them.

That is an excellent point. I took it for granted that there was a significant proportion of divers out there who were discontented with their initial purchases, but that perception is based upon SB posts only. And as you noted, SB has definite biases. I will edit the OP. Thanks for bringing this up.

Keep in mind, one can only have a chance of "discontent" or "regret" (not saying they will) if they have a chance to evaluate different options. Given that opportunity, they may or may not come to that feeling. When presented with a biased answer to questions (and that bias going either way), it is in no way easy to have a independent evaluation. Even if the equipment may be available, if it is not in favor with the seller, chances are, it will not be set up properly for the individual to have the best opportunity to see it in the best light. I have to actually cross an international border to actually see a BP/W in a shop that I consider "local". The ones here do not carry them....its not in their "program". Years back when I got my back-inflate, it was never set up for me, and in fact, I hated it from day one, but needed it rather than my BC because of diving a dry suit. I learned on my own that things were not correct. I also learned there were things I could never get right, hence the quest continued, and for me, a BP/W became the best option (again, for ME).

Started with Jacket, bought a back-inflate, now dive a Bp/W or my back-inflate w/ DIY crotchstrap (depending on instructor's requirements)

Now I'm wishing I had another Bp/W so I can have one w/ a quick release when it's required. I hate diving my back-inflate, it's too bulky w/ the pockets..

Still love my Oceanic Probe BCD. Great fit, lots of pockets and SS rings. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

FWIW in my family we have 4 Oceanic BCDs, one Zeagle Ranger and an Aqua Lung Lotus i3.

The evolution went something like this:

• CO2/oral inflate Mae West (surface-only horse collar)
  • No floatation system beyond wetsuit and weight belt
  • Bouée Fenzy for demanding dives, none on normal dives (horse collar emergency inflation system using a small HP cylinder)
  • Back to the Mae West during US Navy Scuba dives and surface swims
  • Bouée Fenzy BC (Replaced the oral inflator mouthpiece with an inflator off a drysuit of the day. Used the small bottle in addition to the inflator for especially deep/demanding dives.)
  • Wing ordered as spares from Watergill’s At-Pac and adapted to a blow-molded plastic back pack. Used it on all Scuba dives.
  • Stainless Freedom Plate and OxyCheq Mack V for singles in cold water, Mack V and the same old plastic pack for warm water where I don’t need the weight.

I didn’t vote since there wasn’t an appropriate selection. I tried a few poodle jackets and hated it even more than the horse collar.

Nothing (1966-1972) -> Horsecollar type (1972-1978) -> Wing of various sorts (1979 present). But all along and still today, I often just do without.

I am a poodle jacket free zone but my wife has a nice comfy one!

N

Back
Top Bottom