Can you reach your tank knob to turn it on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are you able to reach behind you UW and turn your tank on if it was off? Is that a skill we should practice? Have you ever practiced that skill?

I tried it on one dive last week by pushing up on the bottom of my tank but the best I could do was reach the knob with my finger tips. I could not get a firm grip on the knob to turn it on. I feel I MIGHT have been able to do it eventually but I would think that is something that needs to be done real fast. Should we practice that?

I can without an issue. But I'm also a bit double jointed.

Try using your fingers to 'crawl' to the knob. Pulling our way there and stretching out your arm. It's a good ability. Because regardless of experience, you'll forget to turn it on sooner or later. If not ask your buddy to do it for you.

B.W.R.A.F. is good to practice too, religiously.

I'm not able to reach my valve on a single while in my drysuit. I'm working on resolving this, but it may require I buy another DS. I consider it to be as important as a reg retrieval.

dherbman:
I'm not able to reach my valve on a single while in my drysuit. I'm working on resolving this, but it may require I buy another DS. I consider it to be as important as a reg retrieval.

ditto

I practice that a lot. One tip a buddy taught me is to push your elbow with your free hand. You'll get an extra 4-5" of reach than just trying to reach back.

dherbman:
I can get to both my singles valve and my doubles valves with my drysuit. With my old DUI 400 DS undies it was relatively easy. With my new DUI 400 DS undies, it is a lot tougher. They (DUI) must of changed the material.

In my 3mm...its easy peasy.

I've got my suit and my unders working against me. Since I stand up to pee, my shoulders are broader than those of squatters and it causes some tightness in the panels under my arms, which is restricting my movement. I really should have gone custom.

I've never tried giving an assist with my free hand. I've always used that hand to jack the bottom of the tank up, not that it helped. 4" will definately do the trick for me.

ortoman:
do not strech the straps of you bc too tight, so you can push the tank upwards easily..

A sloppy fit is not an acceptable solution. At least, not for me.

dherbman:
I've got my suit and my unders working against me. Since I stand up to pee, my shoulders are broader than those of squatters and it causes some tightness in the panels under my arms, which is restricting my movement. I really should have gone custom.
Thats exactly why I went custom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom