Can you reach your tank knob to turn it on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've pretty much covered it but I have one question that occured to me as I was reading your post- following your scenario: since we have ONLY seconds to make the right choice, you really, I mean, REALLY, want to make the right one. At the moment you realize your air is off, you are sucking on that reg and nothing is coming out, do you look to see where your buddy is and head for him, or do you start the reach for your tank and not even waste time trying to find him/her?

Knowing how we all are as we begin to descend, we are looking at our own gages, getting settled, equalizing, etc, and might not have constant eye contact with your dive buddy. Many times either buddy will descend a bit faster than the other so you are both at different depths. Curious what my FIRST reaction would be? You can be sure that on my next series of dives I will be trying to master the reach for the tank knob AND MAKE SURE THAT THE KNOB IS TILTLED FORWARD 30 DEGREES TO SHORTEN THE DISTANCE so I'll have an addition remedy for survial.

Scuba:
It's interesting to see various justifications for choosing one option over another.

I think you've touched upon the crux of the matter. What is REALLY required is determined by prioritizing the nature of the problem(s) and corrective options available.

Scenario: Diver jumps in with single tank, valve closed or barely open. No buddy around. He finds himself at some depth, descending unable to breath any air, or less and less every breath.

Problems in order of importance:

Number one: Can't breath.

Number two: Sinking.

Required resolution in order of priority:

Number one: Gain access to air.

Number two: Stop descent.

Available corrective options:

Turn tank valve on.

This will resolve foremost priority number one, first, then, subsequently, will facilitate resolving secondary priority number two.

Drop weights.

This will resolve secondary priority number two, first, then, subsequently, will facilitate resolving foremost priority number one.

Swim up.

This will resolve secondary priority number two, first, then, subsequently, will facilitate resolving foremost priority number one.

There is also the option of using any corrective action in conjunction with another, or all at the same time. Probable expected outcomes can be derived from examples above. I'm done for now.

Your choice.

Anyone want to add a different perspective?

Scenario: Diver jumps in with single tank, valve closed or barely open. No buddy around. He finds himself at some depth, descending unable to breath any air, or less and less every breath.

I hear this senario often around here...can't imagine it myself. Don't you tak your first breath (and second and third) before you are very deep? And what about this "sinking"? Can't you simply fin to the surface? Checking that breathing is "going well" is my top priority the firat 30 seconds after splashing.

catherine96821:
I hear this senario often around here...can't imagine it myself. Don't you tak your first breath (and second and third) before you are very deep? And what about this "sinking"? Can't you simply fin to the surface? Checking that breathing is "going well" is my top priority the firat 30 seconds after splashing.
I usually take my first breath before I jump in. Then at least one or two on the surface before I go down...

I recently entered the water with tank off... I noticed WAY before I was even 3 feet deep.

Obviously, these people don't do their safety check - BWRAF.

EVERYONE - should take a breath off of a reg where the valve has been opened, and pressurized the system, then closed. You'll be able to tell that the air is off - on the second breath. It's good to know what this feels like BEFORE it happens to you in the water.

well let us assume all that happens...You go down with no air..how long would it take to say o my god I have no air.....? 5 feet, 10...20....lets say 100 and your knob is not turned on.....and even worse you can not reach to turn it on...what I will do....? o by the way no buddy also...
I will take off my BCD and put the tank infront of me and turn on the knob...takes 4 seconds......

catherine96821:

Apparently not.

Apparently once you hit the water, you sink too fast to be able to fin again, and then orally inflate your BCD until someone can help you. Doesn't that happen to you? Perhaps you're underweighted...

- ChillyWaters

Everybody should know how many breaths it takes to empty the system, too -- for me, it takes FOUR full breaths before it starts to pull hard. That's why my standard pre-splash check is two breaths off EACH regulator (watching SPG also).

I take a few breathes to make sure the regs are working and not breathing funny. Then, I'll reach back and make sure that my valves are open. I might look at the SPG to check my start pressure, but not to check my valves. Depending on the dive, I might just inflate the wing, jump in, and then check everything at the surface.

In this case, being able to reach my valves, is a useful skill to have in the tool box. :D I generally don't trust anyone to turn my gas on for me. If they touch my knobs, I will check them myself.

I tried it yesterday while diving and YES, I can reach my own knob! The only thing is I got distracted by this new found skill while diving, and I wanted to reach back and touch it repeatedly. My dive buddies were confused, and regardless of all the life around us, couldn't help but watch as I fiddled with it.

gcbryan:
The only disagreement is over whether reaching your valve is Neccessary as in you Must be able to do it vs it's a good thing.

Basically. People said it was a NECESSARY skill. I say it isn't.

Anyways, do you want new divers reacting or thinking their way through a life-and-death situation. If you say "thinking," then you're an idiot. New divers aren't that comfortable, and should react. Drills should be taught so they are so comfortable that they can react to a bad situation.

Obviously one should think through a problem. And when you're comfortable that should occur. I'd agree that you add new tools to your toolbox as you become more comfortable in the water. Are those tools necessary -- definitely not. But can they aid in your safety -- probably.

New divers reading threads like these and say... yeah, I should do that drill too... may over fill their small toolbox such that they lose their basic tools.

gcbryan:
The lone dissenter in this entire thread is someone with less than 100 dives.

Oh boo hoo... I only have 100 dives. Give me a break! People should ask questions. If you're unable to answer them appropriately (as many people on this thread have), then perhaps that should count for a bit of self-reflection.

gcbryan:
In a driver's ed class you are taught to always stop well behind the stop sign. As an experienced driver you know that sometimes you have to stop slightly in front of some stop signs to be able to see oncoming traffic.

Experienced divers also get complacent and often feel too experienced to do the basics, such as proper buddy checks. Just as experienced drivers do -- oh yeah, who needs a turn signal anyways, eh?

- ChillyWaters

Back
Top Bottom