Crotch-straps not on all BC's=RIDICULOUS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My last non-BP type BCD (ScubaPro SuperHawk) came with a crotch strap. I could really tell the difference when I forgot to clip it. The BCD I had before that (TUSA Imprex Pro) didn't have one ... and I didn't really feel like I needed it.

Hogarthian style setups need one because of how the harness works.

I think whether a crotch strap will help you or not depends on both the style of the harness and how well it fits your body ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The whole crotch strap thing looks uncomfortable. I'd prefer the left and right leg strap configuration found on parachutes. I come from the school of thought that tighter is better and I wouldn't be able to pull the crotch strap tight enough to gain any additional stability, without causing pain. Maybe I can figure out a way to link a Swiss seat into a BC.

The whole crotch strap thing looks uncomfortable. I'd prefer the left and right leg strap configuration found on parachutes. I come from the school of thought that tighter is better and I wouldn't be able to pull the crotch strap tight enough to gain any additional stability, without causing pain. Maybe I can figure out a way to link a Swiss seat into a BC.

It doesn't take much tension to be effective ... unlike when you're parachuting. A properly adjusted crotch strap has zero effect on comfort ... even if you're diving in just board shorts and t-shirt ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You have to be able to remove your rig easily as well, not to mention weight belt issues for those who use them

Really they only pull tight on the surface, so comfort isn't an issue anyway with a soft 2" strap and everything properly adjusted

I dunno...my old jacket jobbie never seemed to give me problems in that area...

On my bp/w rigs, the crotch strap works and keeps everything stable, no issues with the boys either! :D

If the BC fits you shouldn't need a crotch strap.

For the most part I agree. If you drop your head below your feet often on a dive though, say to look in holes and such a crotch strap can keep the bc from falling down around your head.

As for sizing, some people just don't fit the model. For me, sizing of the cummerbund and shoulder straps fits best if the bc is a large, but that puts the cummerbund too high on my stomach for my comfort. An XL drops it to where I like it best but then all the straps are too big and cranked down there is a lot of play, allowing the bc to ride up or fall down.

I think a crotch strap is an option to solve that problem, but I can see where a lot of people would be turned off by it...especially newer divers who are dealing with the claustrophobia issue so many seem to experience at first.

I see it as diver falling out rather than BCD riding up.
What weight belt, the Ranger is too long anyway and
when you fit it right the weight belt doesn't fit under.
That's when it fits like a glove with no moving tanks.

Obviously not everyone goes head down vertical with twins.

And when I get there I tend the money trees in the
hanging garden but they blew it up a few years ago
so I had to start again. It's coming along fine now
but no guessing where the fertiliser comes from.

My waist is the smallest part of my torso, so when I re snug the cummerbund after my initial decent it stays put. If you are more pear shaped I could see the need for a crotch strap to hold your tank in place when you are in a head down position as your shoulder straps do when you are in a head up position.

My first BC was a back inflate, too big & rode up big time. For that a crotch strap would be great. I've still got it, maybe I'll try one. My "poodle" jacket fits perfectly & I'm properly weighted so at the surface I only need a little bit of air. It's as constricting as say, flying coach.

I've been looking at BP&W setups on the net, since so many are now swearing by them & I've noticed a bunch of companies are going away from the minimalist thing & taking the comfort route, with shoulder pads, back plate pads, shoulder detachment points & I believe, OMS even has a cumberbund (love my cumberbund) as options. I'm thinking of maybe going this route with an aluminum plate for travel. Some of the stuff is very inventive. I especially like the plate pad with a pocket for an SMB or the pouch that hangs (I think) below the plate for the same purpose. Halcyon sells trim weight pockets for the tank band. Not sure how this would work out since they'd be my only weights besides the plate though. Should the weights be closer to my waist?

The great thing about BP setups is that you can make them as much or little as you like. I would recommend starting with the HOG setup first. You will most likely discover the reason so many of us dive like this: All that other stuff isn't needed. I find nothing uncomfortable about my hog rig at all.

Where you place your weights depends entirely on you and your gear. I have no weights on my waist, and I have a good horizontal trim.

Back
Top Bottom