deco regulators - apeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mentioned the Apeks XTX50 which is a great regulator. There is really no need to jump up to the XTX100 or XTX200, they're all essentially the same 2nd stage; The important thing is what first stage it includes. I use a combination of ATX50s (older models) with DS4s for my backgas and DSTs for my stages.

I believe the XTX50 comes with the DST first stage (swivel turret) which works great for stage/deco bottles.

There is really no way to o2 clean the pressure gauge and not much needs to be done, especially if it's brand new. You could replace the o-rings on the HP spool and used o2 compatible grease but other than that, nothing needs to be done.

There are certainly other great regulators out there that work just as well but Apeks tends to have a large following and favored by a lot of tech divers for their simplicity and ease of rebuilding.

You may also want to look into HOG regulators. They share a similar design to Apeks regulators and work just as well. Down side is, I dont know how common of a presence HOG has in the UK.

The XTX 50, 100 and 200 2nd stages are identical except for chrome doodads on the regulator cover. All the innards are identical and function exactly the same. So what you want to look at is which 1st stage reg you'd like.

Many use the DST and DS4 1st stages for their deco regs. The LP hose may need to be slightly different length depending on whether you choose a 1st stage with or without a turret. There are pros and cons to either :)

Fdog makes a very good point of sticking with the same brand for all your regs. Makes servicing much easier since you get to know the regs and only need to stock parts for one kind of regs.

I like my Apeks regs, but have been using Scubapro MK10 / G250 for deco :) more because I had them already. I will likely swap them out for Apeks along the way.

I also use ATX 50s and DS4s, excellent regs. Oh, in COLD water (46 degrees) and no worries. I did see an O2 Titan deco set on northeastscubasupply.com for $260....tempting.

My thoughts, with the caveat that I own primarily Apeks and Zeagle regulators, so I am a bit biased.
i am considering purchasing a decompression regulator for a stage tank. i was looking at the apeks xtx50 o2 cleaned regulator. i believe that DIR divers tend to steer towards apeks. Is this a good choice?
A very reasonable choice. Apeks regs are well-made, reliable, breathe well, etc. I presume, when you say that you are looking at an 'o2 cleaned' XTX50, you are referring to the 'XTX50 / DST Nitrox' model. This would serve your needs quite well. Whether you want / need this particular model is another matter. I do not see any need for a turret first stage for a decompression regulator. I also don't personally see the need for a XTX50 for a decompression regulator. You might take a look at the Apeks XTX40 / DS4 Nitrox regulator. Fully functional and quite a bit less expensive.
i hope in the future to be a trimix diver, would this reg be suitable for decompressing with some helium in the deco mix? YES
how often would i need to get it o2 cleaned? TOUGH question. Some people recommend having it cleaned every time it is serviced.
Does any body else use this reg for deco?
I have used a DST with an ATX50 second stage for deco, both on 50% and 100% O2. Works well. However, my primary deco regs are both AT20s, with a US4 first stage. Less expensive, I have never had any problem with them, although I am usually not completing decompression in very cold water (US4 is NOT a good cold water reg).
Also why do some websites offer this in an a clamp version? surely din 300 bar is better?
I suspect you mean 'yoke' rather than 'clamp'. This is to some extent simply a matter of personal preference. Most of the decompression divers I know, and dive with, use only DIN valves and regulators (I do). But, I have a few diving acquaintances who use AL80s with a yoke valve (and, therefore, a yoke regulator) for their primary deco bottles. I would suggest you go with DIN, but that is a personal preference of mine.
i believe that there is not much difference between the xtx 50, 100 and 200 and since the 50 is slightly cheaper i would opt for this.
No reason at all to go with a 100 or 200 for your intended use. As noted, I would actually go with the (less expensive) 40.
Also does the pressure gauge (SPG) have to be o2 cleaned?
No, in fact it cannot be, although Apeks does sell an 'oxygen compatible contents gauge' for a hefty additional fee (I would not buy it, myself). What some people will do is clean the connection ports on the hose.

small point, in the UK a yoke is referred to as an A clamp.

Apeks Nitrox regs sold in the UK have the M26 fitting, not DIN. This means that your stage cylinder will need an M26 valve to suit. Or you could just buy a standard XTX with a DIN valve and use that, which is what many divers do. The XTX40 is even cheaper and practically the same, and it is still possible to get an ATX40 for even less ~£165 for a first and second stage. I use an ATX40/DST stage reg because all my other regs are Apeks, they're reliable, robust, cheap and easy to service.

Avoid US4 first stages if you intend to use them in the UK, as noted above they are not cold water rated.

By the time you're using helium in your deco mix you'll be doing some seriously deep dives. An XTX or ATX will be fine for that too.

The xtx50 makes a great deco reg. I prefer a turret/swivel on my deco regs but non-turrets work as well possibly with a slightly longer hose.

Im using mk10/g250's for deco and my bg regs are Apeks. I do end up stocking more parts kits than when I was all Apeks.

I use Apex Tek3s with XTX200s.
The only real down side is the excessive retail price for parts. Another minor issue is that with the tek 3 the short hose has a fairly sharp turn required.

I would suggest that you look at HOG regs as they perform equally well but have substantially lower cost of ownership.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom