Dir?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as we're talking personal anecdotes here, I find it interesting that the two most vehement detractors of DIR that I've met are super-long-timer PADI OW instructors. Maybe they were exposed to the system back when there was more "you guys are all strokes and you suck eggs" being flung back and forth, I dunno. But I actually know more DIR divers than non-DIR divers nowadays, and NONE of them go around proselytizing any system of diving to others, or publicly ridicule someone else's method of diving as unsafe.

I bet there are bad apples in every bunch, but IME the only ones that have popped up here have been non-DIR divers badmouthing DIR. TIFWIW.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]With thanks to: Dive Girl: Doin' it Right[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Basics
Please note: It would be extremely irresponsible, dangerous, and foolish for you to assemble and wear this rig without understanding exactly why you're doing it and what each little detail means.

Keep it simple
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Too many people today seem under the impression that more is always better. The basic principles of the DIR outfit are this:[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Remove all unecessary equipment - take all you need, but only what you need.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Each member of the team should be wearing an identical outfit. This makes it easy to understand each others equipment and in an emergency, kit can be swapped or cross patched.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] Lets look at each item starting from the top.

Hair

Almost goes without saying that it should be kept short, no more than 1 inch on top. For easy identification, it should be parted slightly to the left.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]
Other styles:
A French crop would appear to be a suitable alternative at first glance, it presents a number of problems:
[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] A considerable increase in task loading as it requires visiting a decent hair dressers in the first place and then regular maintenance after that.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Usually requires some form of gel/mousse. The use of hair products is strictly for strokes and only serves to increase drag and reduce efficiency.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] Other Syles to Avoid:[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] Quiff - too much task loading due to the maintenance[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] Mullet - although popular in Holland and Germany, it really doesn't get any more unfashionable than this. And anyway a hair cut named after a fish? - I ask you.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] Curly mop - although it requires no real maintenance there is a distinct likelyhood of being mistaken for Sheck Exley, Rob Palmer or Bill Stone (the horror of it).[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] Moustache - not strictly a hair cut, you may end up being mistaken for one of the above. It can create an even worse scenario when combined with cropped hair - you just end up looking like one of the Village People.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] Glasses
Simple wire rimmed are essential as they are light and unobtrousive. Designer glasses are not acceptable because they are too individual and therefore cannot be interchanged with another team member in an emergency.

T-Shirt

This is a key part of the outfit and whilst there are many t-shirts on the market, the DIR shirt must have the following criteria:
[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] White Egyptian cotton[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] Short sleeves - the correct length must be 5 inches - any longer and there is a risk of entanglement, any shorter and there is a risk that they'll look like those cap sleeve T-shirts that were worn in the 70s (thus precipitating a major fashion incident).[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] T-Shirt markings[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] The DIR logo on the front should be at least 3 inches high, as you will be instantly recognizable anyway, and there should be no other markings on the T-shirt. Beware of large oversize type as this is dangerously 80s (eg Frankie Says Relax).[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] The back of the T-shirt should have a much larger logo (at least 12 inches) with the words 'No Strokes' written on it. This will allow you to be clearly seen by other team members who may be looking for you in a conference room or busy pub.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] There is no excuse for incorrect T-shirt markings - although other agencies recommend other sizes and colors it may lead to other team members failing to recognize you.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]
Always analyze your T-shirt before wearing it. Picking up a T-shirt from the drawer or the shop without properly checking it first could be dangerous. A recent incident occurred when a Genesis Tour T-shirt was mistakenly bought from a shop (the label hadn't been checked) in the belief that it was actually a bona fide DIR T-shirt.

Trousers

Levis regular 501's with the button fly. The key thing about these is that they have the correct number of pockets and most significantly, exactly 5 belt loops of 1 1/2 inch diameter. This standardization allows team members to cross patch their equipment during a major trouser emergency.[/FONT]
There has been an trend away from jeans and towards combat trousers in the belief that the extra pockets will come in useful. This is wrong. Its just a just fashion thing as the extra pockets creates an atmospheric trapping effect, thus increasing drag.

Belt

Brown leather, 1 inch in width. These fit best into the 501's belt loops and stay properly in place. Extras like studs should be avoided as they may snag.

Shoes

Timberland desert shoes. Color: sand. Makes for easy identification of other team members and allows for interchangeability if you end up putting your foot in it and ending up on your back-up shoe. Avoid boots as they create drag (especially in thigh length patent leather).

Shoelaces

Must not be cross threaded through the islets as they will make removal and replacement difficult in the event of a major shoelace failure.

Harness

Leather, rubber, studs - just say no to bondage gear. This is Doin' It Right! (not an S&M convention - though lets face it, easy mistake to make).

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Mark Brill, 1999[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Read the Official DIR response.[/FONT]

------------------------------------------------------------------

I converted to DIR about 6 months ago and I have found that the philosophy extends way beyond diving. I think most people tend to view DIR as a gear configuration or diving objective type of thing but it really is a philosophy that you can use in other parts of your life. For instance, below are just some of the ways I've extended the DIR way of doing things into other areas of my life.

Last week some of my buddies came over to my house. Now, not all of them are divers but they do understand the DIR philosophy. So, first off, we all drink the same beer. This avoids any situations where you might be enjoying a lager and accidentally pick up an ale (or the other way around). That can be very uncool. That could quickly lead to a panic situation so we avoid it all together.

We also drink only from cans, no bottles. And we never put the beer in the refrigerator. It always goes in the ice chest in my living room. 47% of Drinking Related Incidents (DRI) occur when someone is going to the fridge for another beer so better to be safe than sorry. Of course, this is all rigged up while we're still 100% sober so there's no impaired judgment once things get cooking.

All of us wear a bungee necklace with a full beer on it just in case someone experiences an Out Of Beer (OOB) emergency. I can offer my already opened beer to my buddy and simply reach down and grab the backup off my beer necklace. And, without exception, we always use the 7 foot hose on the beer bong.

Of course, we don't stay in every night so when we do decide to go out we make sure we're still DIR. All of us wear exactly the same clothing:
  • Levi's 501 Jeans (button hole, straight leg)
  • Gap Black T-Shirt
  • Haynes boxer shorts, black
  • Gold Toe socks, black
  • Kenneth Cole shoes, Brad Pitt style
  • G-Shock watch, black band
  • Nylon belt, black, with military buckle
  • Black Leather Jacket (optional, depending on weather conditions)
This may sound a bit silly or overdone but believe me, when you're penetrating a night club, knowing exactly what you buddies are dressed like can make all the difference in the world if you're hoping to snag some hottie. Let's say I see some cutie and just before I get up to go talk to her a waitress spills a drink in my lap? No problem, because I can always swap pants with my buddy. I don't have to worry if they match, because I know he's wearing Levi's 501's. Bam, swap pants and I can still complete my objective.

Editors note: Although not specified in this email I received, I believe it is important for each person to have the T-Shirt in size XL and the pants in 34 waist, and 34 inseam, shoes size 10 - independent of your actual size.. Keeping this standardized will make sure we all know exactly what our DIR friends have on.

One thing to keep in mind about night clubs is that you seldom want to penetrate a club on beer. I know, some of the macho jerks do this and brag to all of their buddies but believe me, it's not DIR. You have to do it on mixed drinks. Obviously the mix will be different on different nights but a good vodka tonic mix is pretty standard. Again, there's a right way and a wrong way to do this. You can't just order any old vodka or depend on some bartender to get the mix right. That's what the strokes do. No, you order Stoli vodka which has an excellent reputation in the DIR partying community. The correct blend is 2oz Stoli with tonic water poured over ice in a highball glass (lemon or lime optional). I always bring a testing kit with me and if the blend is off, I send it back. It's just not worth the risk and it's not DIR.

So you penetrate the night club and you've got a good mix, now it's time to meet the ladies. I should have said this earlier but watch your drink consumption. It's a well known fact that women look 25% - 30% better in a night club and if you get all narc'd up on vodka tonic, it increases your chances of a coyote ugly blackout. You have to keep your wits about you.

If it's early, you probably have pretty good viz. Later in the evening when the smoke silts up the room it'll be harder to make out the women on the other side of the club so get your headings early. On a few occasions I've had to bust out the wreck reel just to get to the bathroom and back.

If you are lucky enough to hook up with a nice hottie, this is when doing it right really can pay off. Now, let's face it, there's a certain degree of danger involved here that I don't want to downplay. You need to minimize your risks by using the proper equipment. I carry 2 condoms. One I put on . . . well you know, and the second I put on a bungee that goes around my waist. If there's a malfunction on my primary, I can quickly go to my backup without hardly skipping a beat.

So, as you can see from these pretty basic examples, DIR is not just for diving. It's something you can use in all areas of your life.

-----------------------------------

DIR Stroke Diver Test

As long as we're talking personal anecdotes here, I find it interesting that the two most vehement detractors of DIR that I've met are super-long-timer PADI OW instructors. Maybe they were exposed to the system back when there was more "you guys are all strokes and you suck eggs" being flung back and forth, I dunno. But I actually know more DIR divers than non-DIR divers nowadays, and NONE of them go around proselytizing any system of diving to others, or publicly ridicule someone else's method of diving as unsafe.

I bet there are bad apples in every bunch, but IME the only ones that have popped up here have been non-DIR divers badmouthing DIR. TIFWIW.

Spooky, Do you know the same people I do?

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]With thanks to: Dive Girl: Doin' it Right[/FONT]

Please note: It would be extremely irresponsible, dangerous, and foolish for you to assemble and wear this rig without understanding exactly why you're doing it and what each little detail means.

Keep it simple
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Too many people today seem under the impression that more is always better. The basic principles of the DIR outfit are this:[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Remove all unecessary equipment - take all you need, but only what you need.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Each member of the team should be wearing an identical outfit. This makes it easy to understand each others equipment and in an emergency, kit can be swapped or cross patched.[/FONT]

Hair

Almost goes without saying that it should be kept short, no more than 1 inch on top. For easy identification, it should be parted slightly to the left.
Other styles:
A French crop would appear to be a suitable alternative at first glance, it presents a number of problems:
[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] A considerable increase in task loading as it requires visiting a decent hair dressers in the first place and then regular maintenance after that.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Usually requires some form of gel/mousse. The use of hair products is strictly for strokes and only serves to increase drag and reduce efficiency.[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] Quiff - too much task loading due to the maintenance[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] Mullet - although popular in Holland and Germany, it really doesn't get any more unfashionable than this. And anyway a hair cut named after a fish? - I ask you.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] Curly mop - although it requires no real maintenance there is a distinct likelyhood of being mistaken for Sheck Exley, Rob Palmer or Bill Stone (the horror of it).[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] Moustache - not strictly a hair cut, you may end up being mistaken for one of the above. It can create an even worse scenario when combined with cropped hair - you just end up looking like one of the Village People.[/FONT]
Simple wire rimmed are essential as they are light and unobtrousive. Designer glasses are not acceptable because they are too individual and therefore cannot be interchanged with another team member in an emergency.

T-Shirt

This is a key part of the outfit and whilst there are many t-shirts on the market, the DIR shirt must have the following criteria:
[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] Short sleeves - the correct length must be 5 inches - any longer and there is a risk of entanglement, any shorter and there is a risk that they'll look like those cap sleeve T-shirts that were worn in the 70s (thus precipitating a major fashion incident).[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] The DIR logo on the front should be at least 3 inches high, as you will be instantly recognizable anyway, and there should be no other markings on the T-shirt. Beware of large oversize type as this is dangerously 80s (eg Frankie Says Relax).[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] The back of the T-shirt should have a much larger logo (at least 12 inches) with the words 'No Strokes' written on it. This will allow you to be clearly seen by other team members who may be looking for you in a conference room or busy pub.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] There is no excuse for incorrect T-shirt markings - although other agencies recommend other sizes and colors it may lead to other team members failing to recognize you.[/FONT]
Always analyze your T-shirt before wearing it. Picking up a T-shirt from the drawer or the shop without properly checking it first could be dangerous. A recent incident occurred when a Genesis Tour T-shirt was mistakenly bought from a shop (the label hadn't been checked) in the belief that it was actually a bona fide DIR T-shirt.

Trousers

Levis regular 501's with the button fly. The key thing about these is that they have the correct number of pockets and most significantly, exactly 5 belt loops of 1 1/2 inch diameter. This standardization allows team members to cross patch their equipment during a major trouser emergency.[/FONT]
There has been an trend away from jeans and towards combat trousers in the belief that the extra pockets will come in useful. This is wrong. Its just a just fashion thing as the extra pockets creates an atmospheric trapping effect, thus increasing drag.

Belt

Brown leather, 1 inch in width. These fit best into the 501's belt loops and stay properly in place. Extras like studs should be avoided as they may snag.

Shoes

Timberland desert shoes. Color: sand. Makes for easy identification of other team members and allows for interchangeability if you end up putting your foot in it and ending up on your back-up shoe. Avoid boots as they create drag (especially in thigh length patent leather).

Shoelaces

Must not be cross threaded through the islets as they will make removal and replacement difficult in the event of a major shoelace failure.

Harness

Leather, rubber, studs - just say no to bondage gear. This is Doin' It Right! (not an S&M convention - though lets face it, easy mistake to make).

I converted to DIR about 6 months ago and I have found that the philosophy extends way beyond diving. I think most people tend to view DIR as a gear configuration or diving objective type of thing but it really is a philosophy that you can use in other parts of your life. For instance, below are just some of the ways I've extended the DIR way of doing things into other areas of my life.

Last week some of my buddies came over to my house. Now, not all of them are divers but they do understand the DIR philosophy. So, first off, we all drink the same beer. This avoids any situations where you might be enjoying a lager and accidentally pick up an ale (or the other way around). That can be very uncool. That could quickly lead to a panic situation so we avoid it all together.

We also drink only from cans, no bottles. And we never put the beer in the refrigerator. It always goes in the ice chest in my living room. 47% of Drinking Related Incidents (DRI) occur when someone is going to the fridge for another beer so better to be safe than sorry. Of course, this is all rigged up while we're still 100% sober so there's no impaired judgment once things get cooking.

All of us wear a bungee necklace with a full beer on it just in case someone experiences an Out Of Beer (OOB) emergency. I can offer my already opened beer to my buddy and simply reach down and grab the backup off my beer necklace. And, without exception, we always use the 7 foot hose on the beer bong.

Of course, we don't stay in every night so when we do decide to go out we make sure we're still DIR. All of us wear exactly the same clothing:
  • Gap Black T-Shirt
  • Gold Toe socks, black
This may sound a bit silly or overdone but believe me, when you're penetrating a night club, knowing exactly what you buddies are dressed like can make all the difference in the world if you're hoping to snag some hottie. Let's say I see some cutie and just before I get up to go talk to her a waitress spills a drink in my lap? No problem, because I can always swap pants with my buddy. I don't have to worry if they match, because I know he's wearing Levi's 501's. Bam, swap pants and I can still complete my objective.

Editors note: Although not specified in this email I received, I believe it is important for each person to have the T-Shirt in size XL and the pants in 34 waist, and 34 inseam, shoes size 10 - independent of your actual size.. Keeping this standardized will make sure we all know exactly what our DIR friends have on.

One thing to keep in mind about night clubs is that you seldom want to penetrate a club on beer. I know, some of the macho jerks do this and brag to all of their buddies but believe me, it's not DIR. You have to do it on mixed drinks. Obviously the mix will be different on different nights but a good vodka tonic mix is pretty standard. Again, there's a right way and a wrong way to do this. You can't just order any old vodka or depend on some bartender to get the mix right. That's what the strokes do. No, you order Stoli vodka which has an excellent reputation in the DIR partying community. The correct blend is 2oz Stoli with tonic water poured over ice in a highball glass (lemon or lime optional). I always bring a testing kit with me and if the blend is off, I send it back. It's just not worth the risk and it's not DIR.

So you penetrate the night club and you've got a good mix, now it's time to meet the ladies. I should have said this earlier but watch your drink consumption. It's a well known fact that women look 25% - 30% better in a night club and if you get all narc'd up on vodka tonic, it increases your chances of a coyote ugly blackout. You have to keep your wits about you.

If it's early, you probably have pretty good viz. Later in the evening when the smoke silts up the room it'll be harder to make out the women on the other side of the club so get your headings early. On a few occasions I've had to bust out the wreck reel just to get to the bathroom and back.

If you are lucky enough to hook up with a nice hottie, this is when doing it right really can pay off. Now, let's face it, there's a certain degree of danger involved here that I don't want to downplay. You need to minimize your risks by using the proper equipment. I carry 2 condoms. One I put on . . . well you know, and the second I put on a bungee that goes around my waist. If there's a malfunction on my primary, I can quickly go to my backup without hardly skipping a beat.

So, as you can see from these pretty basic examples, DIR is not just for diving. It's something you can use in all areas of your life.

DIR Stroke Diver Test

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Keep it simple

Hair

Other styles:
[/FONT]

T-Shirt

[/FONT]

Trousers

Belt

Shoes

Shoelaces

Harness

• Gap Black T-Shirt
  • Gold Toe socks, black

DIR Stroke Diver Test

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:Holy Shiv nuggets dude, I think you have a little too much time on your hands, but this was great.

Keep it simple

Hair

Other styles:
[/FONT]

T-Shirt

[/FONT]

Trousers

Belt

Shoes

Shoelaces

Harness

• Gap Black T-Shirt
  • Gold Toe socks, black

DIR Stroke Diver Test

holy crap!!! that was awesome!! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Diving Irresponsibly Ridiculous...

Not fair to apply to all DIR people... but I'm amazed at the number of people who sign on to this philosophy (which is really what it is,) begin configuring their gear in a certain manner and then begin telling everyone else they don't know what they're doing.

That chip on your shoulder cost you a potential sale, FYI. I asked about regulators, while keeping DIR standards in mind, and instead of giving me balanced advice, you chose to try and slam DIR and sell me something else.

I would expect a shop owner to put aside any personal prejudices they may have and try to serve the customer to the best of their ability. A lack of understanding of what DIR is does not in itself give a license to slam it at every opportunity.

That chip on your shoulder cost you a potential sale, FYI. I asked about regulators, while keeping DIR standards in mind, and instead of giving me balanced advice, you chose to try and slam DIR and sell me something else.

I would expect a shop owner to put aside any personal prejudices they may have and try to serve the customer to the best of their ability. A lack of understanding of what DIR is does not in itself give a license to slam it at every opportunity.

ESPECIALLY one that's a TDI Center. Not many "Techi's" aren't D.I.R. Almost seems like an oxymoron.

When I first started diving I heard the steer clear of the DIR cult. And for a while I thought they were a bunch of thoughtless morons. But as I began to ask questions and needed help with stuff, it was the DIR crowd that went out of their way to help me. They have even been diving with me when I had yellow split fins, a jacket bc, and bunch of danglies all over me and I did my best roto--tiller kick on the dive. Let me tell you I can produce a cloud of silt with the best of them!!!

Anyway, those folks took time to explain to me why they did what they did and suggested ways for me to improve my skills. I would say that although I am not DIR, I am a better diver having been exposed to those folks. Could I have become a better diver by being exposed to other good divers? Sure, but it was the DIR crowd that really took time to help me. Am I saying other divers don't help? Not at all. There are many helpful divers out there of various schools of thought.

Here is a link to a post Dan put up not too long ago. If you have time watch the clip. I first saw it about 2 years ago when someone was kind enough to put it on their server and give me a link. Glad Dan has put it out there for others to see. Very nice cave footage at the end. It is free to watch and even if you decide that it isn't for you, it will give you and education so that a lot of what is said on the board in relation to DIR will make more sense. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/250226-here-hi-res-download-dir-iii.html

Back
Top Bottom