Easy Cave diving destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you take a cave course with a good instructor, there's the chance you won't pass the class first try. It's not easy. You have to master the skills. And the skills aren't easy.

If your bio is correct and you've done 25-49 dives, it's pretty unlikely that you could pass my Cavern and Intro to Cave course in the first 5 days.

I'd go with Mexico, on the mainland there is a lot more of a selection of caves to mix up the training, with the shallow depths and short drives to the caves you'll get a lot more time underwater and variety during the course. The option for varied complex navigation is also better in mexico, and of course once you're done you have a much better selection of caves to dive at your level.

The long drives to the caves, to get fills, short bottom times because of depth, lugging around steel tanks, diving in colder water and fighting the flow I don't think really adds much to the training as much as it's just a pain in the backside. It's an easy add on to learn about flow later. Personally I'd advise trips to florida once you're tech-cave (or for training) and don't mind doing a bit of deco to make the most of the dives. It's a great location, but as far as training goes unless it's logistically much easier to go to florida then it's Mexico hands down.

Edit to add, if you're doing it on your own and need a buddy to dive with then there is a great community in Florida, generally a friendly bunch so you're likely to find someone at a similar level who'll go diving with you. In Mexico, people are generally working in the industry so will guide for a fee or coming down in groups so already have their teams set up for some vacation diving.

Long drives to get fills?

There's three dive shops within 15 minutes of Ginnie. There's two dive shops within 5 minutes of Peacock. Distance for fills is not an issue. Cold water (72F) is not an issue for the guy from Canada. High flow and heavy tanks could be an issue. But I'd say the bigger issue is only having 25-50 dives under his belt.

Heavy tanks? I normally dive with Steel 120s.

Cold water? My OWC was in 30F, not C, F water.

High flow, current, yes can be an issue.

I should be at around 75-100 dives by next year.

I do not know if I ever would ever do cave diving again after this trip. It is just one of the many things on my "wanna do" list for diving.

Heavy tanks? I normally dive with Steel 120s.

Cold water? My OWC was in 30F, not C, F water.

High flow, current, yes can be an issue.

I should be at around 75-100 dives by next year.

I do not know if I ever would ever do cave diving again after this trip. It is just one of the many things on my "wanna do" list for diving.

Cave diving training is not a course you can just breeze through. While for some agencies 100 dives may cover the minimum, it's up to the instructor whether or not you're ready for the training. It's also not something you fo a whim to scratch it off your bucket list. I personally had over 3000 dives, was an instructor and had been diving for over 15 years before I felt secure enough of my ability as a diver to become a certified cave diver. Now having done a few hundred cave dives I still learn something from every dive, from every one of my dive buddies and from every one of my students.
My point is, why do you want to take on cave training? Do you feel you have the necessary skills with >50 dives? I am in no way attacking you or your siving abilities, but cave diving is not something you should let your ego drive you towards...

I'll second Merritt's Mill pond. You can fly in, rent everything you need at Cave Adventurers, there's a ton of variety right in the backyard. If you're lucky, you can get Edd Sorenson to teach you, otherwise, he's got some good cave instructors on tap. I've got a house I rent to cave divers right on the pond, PM me if you want to know more. The Peacock Springs area is another great place to train, Bill Rennaker's shop, Cave Excursions, is right on site and he's got lodging too.

I have no hard set date to have it done by. If I do it next year, 5 years, or 50 years from now is irrelevant. It is on my list of dives to do. Whether I am certified to do it, or do it in somewhere larger with someone attempting the certification. I am not really looking to do those tiny caves that I might barely fit in.

Go to Riviera Maya, dive with Prodive Mexico in the cenotes. Huub runs a good operation and cenotes are an easy entry to cave diving. I can help put together a package from Canada for you if you like. Tulum is also good cave diving area. But stay on the mainland, not Cozumel.

Cheers
Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME

Either here or in Florida, you're goin to have to work for it. It's not as easy as learning the skills and enjoying the dive. You have to work hard in a cave course. High flow, little flow or no flow, mistakes have serious consequences

Exactly. Nothing about a proper cave course should be easy. If I go to a class and the instructor sees that I am easily completing the skills, I want him/her to ratchet things up and see what my breaking point is.

Back
Top Bottom