Fashion tips and Faux Pas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be odd man out and fess up that I do not like the colors. I would never say anything to a person but, I like taking pictures of divers in the underwater reefscape and the neons just jump out too much. A nice black profile works nicely with nature shots and seems more harmonious. otherwise, I don't care. I would like a titanium gun metal metallic grey wetsuit. and I want some weights that look like rounds of ammo. Definitly think you should wear mask on forehead though, no matter what outfit you choose!
Also, if people cannot identify me, sometimes that can help save my reputation.

catherine96821:
I will be odd man out and fess up that I do not like the colors. I would never say anything to a person but, I like taking pictures of divers in the underwater reefscape and the neons just jump out too much. A nice black profile works nicely with nature shots and seems more harmonious. otherwise, I don't care. I would like a titanium gun metal metallic grey wetsuit. and I want some weights that look like rounds of ammo. Definitly think you should wear mask on forehead though, no matter what outfit you choose!
Also, if people cannot identify me, sometimes that can help save my reputation.

Who are you kidding. One look through that mask at 100 feet and I would know exactly who you were.....and what I was dealing with.......:)

Bobbin: I was going to give some advice like telling the guy that you wore the blue drysuit because it was the brightest thing the LDS had in stock. Then, I thought about suggesting you tell him he should try diving without turning on his air. Then, I thought back about 19 years ago, back to the time I went to work at a new office. Around my second week there, I said something to one of the women. She took it as a snide comment. Turns out she was the Managing Partner's secretary. She made my life hell for several months. As if that wasn't enough, last night when I got home from a training dive, she complained that I'm taking off at 5:00 a.m. on Saturday to dive and insisted that I be home in time for dinner. (Somewhere in the interim there was this diamond ring thing...) So, perhaps the comment was just a poorly framed greeting.

BTW: Your profile says you race sailboats. What kind?

Bobbin-along:
I was at the local site last weekend and as I was getting in the water some uber-brat standing beside me looks over and says "Bright Enough Gear?" and continues gearing up. Being a slow wit I didn't have a snapy response and spent the rest of the day rather annoyed that some toad would make a comment about my ensemble. It did seem rude, but hey I'm new to diving maybe I missed color coordination 101 in the courseware somewhere. I wear a blue dry suit, yellow fins, unpainted tank, black BC, hood, gloves. While not black and stealthy the combination seems to keep me dry, breathing, and underwater.

Has anyone here ever made a comment to a stranger regarding their gear colors and why?

I actually agree with ItsBruce.
Frankly, his comments could be interpreted in many ways. Being that you are married to a man, i'd think you'd have better insight into the primal man. This is like kindergarten when the kid that insulted and picked on you the most is the one that had a crush on you, some men never grow up. Is it possible, as stupid a line as he delivered, he intended to strike up a conversation with you? I mean if your spouse wasn't present how was he to know?

Of course the swing side of this is thank goodness for those in the world that make it more colorful, smell better, and sound better. There should be more of them.

nah... this guy was a jerk who thought he was being funny

Men completely confuse me.

When they don't talk it's because they have nothing to say.
When they do speak they usually are saying exactly what's on their mind. for example:
"i'm hungry" doesn't mean "so what kind of food are you in the mood for", it means "I'm hungry, feed me"
"I don't want to go to the ballet" never means, "Going to the ballet isn't good for me this weekend, how about next weekend. It really means "I don't want to go to the ballet"

:D

yeah, men are simple creatures

which is why you women puzzle us to no end, being rather complicated yourselves

"i'm not mad" usually means "i am sooooooooo mad at you!"

"i don't want to talk about it" means "you won't let me talk to you and share my
feelings and now i am REALLY mad at you"

:wink:

well, I remember joking with some brightly colored divers about their "Euro-fashion" and I meant it in a light hearted way. I think they understood. I wouldn't be mean about something like that but there was no way I could not comment. They had on these lycra skins that were red and yellow panels....like clown suits. I mean these outfits were obviously not to be taken seriously, there was nothing serious about them. Then, they had these things on their heads like snowboarders wear, with little stuffed horns and such. Who could keep their mouth shut about that? Not me. I think you should give people the benefit of the doubt. There are really very few mean people out there....usually people are just making conversation.

Oh, and a few of us remember what "Werner" wore.....yikes. Bright yellow body-suits have a certain message. he needed that color!

Bobbin-along:
Men completely confuse me.

When they don't talk it's because they have nothing to say.
When they do speak they usually are saying exactly what's on their mind. for example:
"i'm hungry" doesn't mean "so what kind of food are you in the mood for", it means "I'm hungry, feed me"
"I don't want to go to the ballet" never means, "Going to the ballet isn't good for me this weekend, how about next weekend. It really means "I don't want to go to the ballet"

:D

I retract my earlier thought, you understand men exactly. Therefore, clearly the man in your story was a complete ignoramous. Next time you see him let him know how all of us really feel about him :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom