fins style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

s7595

Reaction score
as always the more info you have makes diveing more fun
so I ask the ? does a split fin in current out perform regular fins
my fins are areis velocity .
a buddy of mine is thinking of buy scuba pro split fins
as is the case with lds you get so many opions
talked with some dive masters
so now need to get you guys voice
thanks

Maybe best in the fins section, but me think a troll.

From what i gather, the benefit of these fins is that they are gentler on your ankles, they work in a slightly different way than regular fins. They are pretty much useless for anything but flutter kicking as they are so flimsy. As for currents, unless you are drifting with it, i would say forget it.

s7595:
as is the case with lds you get so many opions
Right - and so the *best* way for you find the fins for you is to try them. Everyone's opinion aside, in the end it is what works best for you...

I have a pair of Atomic Split fins that will make your legs feel like you are not moving them- I used them for two years now before I switched back to Jet Fins because I could not master the Frog Kick in them- Frog is important for the type of diving I do-

By the way if you use your ankles to kick with you have other problems (see top of post)... You point your toes and use your leg musles.

GJ62 is right you should try them on in a pool to find the best ones-

typically people like the style of fins they learned with but if your looking for something new check out the Atomic Split Fin- they might be the most expensive fin out there but if you like swimming with no felt pressure you will like em. There are knock offs out there but they dont perform the same- they usaully are more flexible along the blade which means it will seem like you arent going anywhere when you are swimming- that because you are not. The Atomic fix that problem by stiffining the edges.

If it were my money I would get a pair of old Scuba Pro Jet Fins- $100.00 and take the other hundred you would spend on the Atomic's and go diving!

As a matter of fact you can buy my Atomic fins for a $100.00- they have custom springs installed for the fin straps.

JPBECK:
By the way if you use your ankles to kick with you have other problems (see top of post)... You point your toes and use your leg musles.
I agree kicking should be done with your legs, be it thighs (quads/hams) for flutter, inside and outside thigh and a bit of glut and calf for frog, abs and thighs in a wave motion for dolphin, and slightly more calf for the modified flutter and frog. I was told by others they were gentler on your ankles, hence relaying info, its like saying some training shoes cushioning is good for your feet, ankles, knees - but you dont actually rely solely on them to run! Look in context if you can. From what i gathered you point your toes at a different angle for split fins compared to regular ones for the flutter, hence it is easier on your ankles. Also your range of motion is less and the kick tempo faster with the split fins than regular - again less movement = easier on joints.

I have tried the Atomic split fins and found they were nice, i could zip around quite well with a flutter but couldnt do that much else with them as any other movement they just flopped about like a wet paper bag. I might still contemplate getting some for drift diving, but really my mares quattros are just fine for me to do any kick on i please at this time.

Mares Quat are nice all around fins- very powerful- But the weak link in them is the buckle assmembly- But that's true of most any fin. - I really think that for the everyday sport dive the Atomic's are the greatest- Even in a strong current thay jam- Here in Southern Ca when there is a strong current we deal with it most of the time- But you are right you can only do the Flutter/ modified Flutter- I dont think they are good for carring much wieght either- The resaon why I dont use them anymore is that my Rebreather has sooo much drag that I need the extra ummph that the Jet fin delivers- Plus since I dive in Wrecks out here the Frog is perfered... unless you want you bubby to cut you hose and leave you for dead- You gota use the Frogger...

You know what I mean since you live in the capital of Wrecks and Caves! I envey you soo much!
We have the Kelp you have the Wrecks and Caves I'll trade you any day! The Diving that is... not the Weather!

Have a Good-um

I agree that the Atomic split fins are great all around for open water diving. I switched to them from Dacor Panthers, and have been very happy. There's no feeling of resistance when you kick, which can be disconcerting at first.

You definitely have to consider the kind of diving you do, as well as your personal style. I like to cruise very leisurely, not exert myself and get the most out of my air. Plus, my body is thin, and I'm fairly streamlined. The Atomics are a great match for all this.

If you're doing a lot of cave or wreck diving, you should consider the points made in earlier posts.

Fins are definitely a matter of personal preference, as others have said. Mine is for the Volos for the combination of extreme comfort (feels like I'm finless in the water), tons of propulsion and tremendous stability in any attitude from frog to straight leg to verticle hovering. And the little "rings" created by the so-called hinges are dandy for hooking fingers into while hovering zen-style during safety stops!

Best,

Zen Style huh- funny I can picture that in my head- the only differnence is I am wearing my Turtle shelled ReBreather- and I have two bail-out bottles on my left side. Funny Image

I have never seen anyone wear Volos- not that it matters but who makes them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom