fins style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPBECK I have never seen anyone wear Volos- not that it matters but who makes them?[/QUOTE:
Mares: it was their answer to the split fins about 3 years ago. They're not split longitudinally but "hinged" transversely by creating a sort of crease.

Best,

I'm enjoying my Volo's as well. very little effort, and they go just fine.

I'm considering picking up some jets soon though.

I have seen those Mares Fins- My bad- Do you really like them better than Jet Fins?
And do they have the same Buckles as the Quatros?

I really believe that if you have to carry any kind of wieght or you have to use the Froger--- The Jet Fin is the way to go- You just have to give them time to build up your legs a tad...

I can see why people like the Atomic's or any other type of Split Fins but they do have their draw backs... I have a pair- Some of My buddies have them, But I still say that once you build those muscles nothing can keep up with the big black bricks-

You may argue that it could be that since I have built those leg muscles that is why I dust others while doing the surface swims - I thought that too so I tried switching to my Atomic's- But no go it didn't work.

I dont really care what type of fins people use as long as they dont siltout in front of me- That sucks-

JPBECK:
I have seen those Mares Fins- My bad- Do you really like them better than Jet Fins?
And do they have the same Buckles as the Quatros?

Hey JP,

Now it is I who have to plead ignorance...Who makes the Jet fins and what's their configuration? I've really only dived with the Mares and my former fins, huge, heavy, clunking things with an odd design incorporating the foot pocket below the fin blade with hinges at the sides of the pocket to connect to the blade. Got em from a Herrington catalogue back in my snorkeling days. Can't remember the brand name, but it's one of the major manufacturers (was it OceanMaster??)

My Volos have the standard Mares buckles, with the cam closures and slide locks. I've had no trouble with them but I've seen other folks who've had the clasp assembly pop out of the peg built into the side of the fin body and had a hard time popping it back in. Also, the slide locks can be a bit tricky to unlock when you've doing the figure four bucking bronco routine on the ladder in heavy seas...

Best,

I chucked the straps on the volo's and opted for spring straps from Boogie711. So much nicer, I hated those stupid buckles.

The reason I went with volo's is because it takes little effort to swim them, and my knee is pooched. I already hurt badly after a dive, and big fins would kill me right now. Also, I can still frogkick these fins just fine. I've yet to try Jets, but once the knee is fixed (surgery) I'll be looking into them.

Well SCUBA PRO puts their name on them- I dont know who actally who makes them - Possibly SCUBA PRO- They are made of Rubber--Solid Rubber -- They are almost shaped like a tri-angle in the middle of the fins are a few slots for water to get pushed through The ones I have dont have a name on them cause I took them when I left the NAVY-

When I put them side by side with my other buddies they look idenical I would bet your life that they are Jet Fins-
The Jet Fin Design has got to be 20-30 years old cause my old man brought his home from the NAVY too...

In my expirence most people like the type of fins they were trained in... You wont find many old timers using split fins or the type you use now. They will not part from their Jet Fins-
for Example:
Once (before I got my Spring Straps for my Jet fins) -I snuck over to my old Mans house to snag his, cause my rubber strap broke- He about beat the crap out of me- That showed me to never touch another man Jet Fins...

OK, just found the website. One question: how do you adjust for different sizes?

Thanks,

No --lots of people make their own straps- It looks like Boogie manufactures them-- I see he has a web site so check it out. You can buy them from different manufactures too-Manta and DiveRite, Halcyon comes to mind.
Spring straps attach (simi-perminately) to your fins- They eliminate adjusting because they are made of Stainless Steel- Nothing can break on them- You never need to adjust them--

I really recomend them highly- A bit pricey around 70 bucks- YOu can make them for about 30 bucks- but it will take time away from your diving...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom