Getting into BP/W tricks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've done about 5 dives with my new BP/W and the only thing that I haven't mastered is getting into it unassisted. I always seem to need a hand when getting in the right shoulder strap.

Are there any tricks from any of your who don't use a quick disconnect? I have no trouble getting out as long as I have somewhere to set the gear down such as a tailgate or table.

I have found it useful to have the backup lights connected to the D-rings. Then, to get in or out, I grab the lights (thereby pulling on the sholder straps) and slip the rig on or off. This helps me with my drysuit getting the strap over the dump valve.

Also, if you have the upper body strength, you can just flip it over your head to don/doff it. I do this more often with my wetsuit.

radinator:
I have found it useful to have the backup lights connected to the D-rings. Then, to get in or out, I grab the lights (thereby pulling on the sholder straps) and slip the rig on or off. This helps me with my drysuit getting the strap over the dump valve.

Also, if you have the upper body strength, you can just flip it over your head to don/doff it. I do this more often with my wetsuit.

Good point. I use that technique for getting out of the gear. For getting into the gear I put my left arm (drysuit dump valve) in first but then I can't see the right strap and can't reach it with my back against the BP but I could probably reach my primary reg hose if it is clipped off on the left D-ring and then maybe I can get my right arm in.

I'll try that next dive.

Thanks.

I don't know if this will help or not, but I put the dry suit inflator on first, then slip my left arm part way into the strap but not all the way; that allows me to stay a little away from the BP and move around a little better when getting my right arm in. Also, the right side waist strap is usually pretty easy to find and I can work my hand up that to the shoulder strap. I've actually found that getting INTO the harness is easier than getting into my old BC with the integrated weights was . . .

I also go drysuit hose, then left arm, then right arm ... and find it's much easier getting into the right arm if I squat down a bit below the level of the rig so I can reach up while putting my right arm into the shoulder strap.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i'm not dry so i don't have that extra worry, but what i find easiest is to put both arms in to mid-forearm, dink my knees down (with the rig on a picnic table or pickup gate), and scoot up into it. that's easier for me than getting into it on a boat when it's level with my butt.

radinator:

if you do this with doubles, your my hero

Nope, don't combine doubles and wetsuit. :D

I figure one reason for diving with a buddy is to give me a hand getting into and out of my harness :)

I've tried the 'sit down' technique.

The 'stand up and swing it around' technique.

The 'modified tank lift with one hand behind my back' technique.

And realistically, life is easier when someone is around to ensure you get into your gear easily :)

Just my $0.02

Bjorn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom