Getting into BP/W tricks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan:
There is a vertical load bearing plastic part under the top buckle and it is supposed to be attached at the botton and top. The top appears to be ok until it is under a load and then you can see that it is actually broken and is not attached at all.

I'm sure a new cam band/buckle will fix the problem.

:11::D

It doesn't belong there! Switch to SS and slap the guy who sold it to you! Plastic.... Huh!

Anyway, I've usually thrown "the thing" over my head when I'm dressing up. Pretty cool, with a heavy single HP (4500 psi) steel and some fixed lead in the plate. But it works. I've always had a tougher time getting the thing off my back again after a dive. Especially after a long dive, when I just have to go... Getting older isn't only about getting stiffer (huh! In my backbone, PLEASE! Whattyathink...)

But my problem has been partially because of a fixed (glued) dry glove ring system. Now there's a no-go if you can barely get the rig off anyway...

The easiest way is to become a scuba instructor. Then you get unpaid divemasters to hold all your gear for you while you kit up. If they're up-to-snuff divemasters, they should say "Bravo!' a lot whenever you do anything instructor-cool, and they should either address you as "Maestro" or "Sensei" depending where you are in relation to International Date Line.
If they're not up-to-snuff, a few discreet slaps should do the trick - you should not belittle them more than is necessary as they will come to enjoy it. If this does not work, counsel them about their poor attitude and be prepared to bust them down to Open Water I status.
If you have a lack of minions around though, while sitting down, work your left arm through normally with the gauges and slates and other stuff cluttering your left forearm, but before you do this, preposition your right arm webbing loop so it's a little open. Once the left side is squared-away, slipslide your elbow through the right hand side and *bingo*, you're well-along on the road to harnessing up.
People will think you're part of Penn and Teller it'll look that smooth.

I'm anxious about my new set of steel doubles though... Empty weight is 14,4 kilos pr tank ++ It should add up to about 35-38 kilos (85 lbs) I suppose. So much for over my head!

kompressor: I thought you northern folks were tough. Can you imaging how impressed people will be when you watch you throw those doubles up over your head?! :wink:

Tom: I may have to try your (2nd) technique soon (I have no minions sadly), as my original 'sitting on the ground' technique seems to disagree with my drysuit knees. Specifically rotating onto the suits right knee while getting up seems to have produced a small hole leading to the ever popular 'damp suit'.

Bjorn

jagfish:
Same here...

Or you can do the he-man clean and jerk up and over your head...

Anyone of you macho guys wanna do that and I'll gladly record the snap, crackle, pop for future generations to enjoy on America's funniest home videos. We can then watch the same individual stagger off into the sunset with a hernia LOL!!!

Jag, it might be easier for me to back flip into the rig then to lift it over my head the damn doubles thing probably weights more than me LOL!

SangP

Well, now I know how I will be doing it with the new double steels.

Shore diving:
Back up my 3 ton 4x4 chevy as far as it goes near the water. "Sit in" to it while the rig is standing in the rear opening of my truck. Do the rest of the checks SITTING DOWN...

Boat diving:
Big boat only. Bench. Almost same procedure as from my truck... If not possible, or boat is small, do the chevy-trick before entering the boat. If that's not possible, go have a cold beer...

the way i was taught to put on the rig was to lift the rig up onto the side of the boat or some elevated platform if possible (if on a boat, then the boatman or someone else should of course hold it to make sure it doesn't fall off). stand with your back to it. put both your hands and forarms thru the shoulder straps (works best without your instruments on), and then lower yourself down by bending your knees while keeping your back and hands straight (hands pointed down) and you should end up with your rig on. then just grab the chest d-rings with your thumbs if you need to position it further and put on the grotch strap, etc. when doing this it's best to make sure the grotch strap is well positioned when you begin so you don't start fishing for it from underneat the tanks.

with a single tank (or even doubles if you can do it), it's probably fastest to use the flip method, though i' doubt it's a good idea from a safety standpoint - especially on a small boat.

tailgate/back of van seems the easiest to me.

I've tossed doubles over my head. Don't recommend it though. It's like trying to pick up a washing machine by the sides! I did get some comments last weekend walking to the fill station with a set of doubles in each hand! :) After tossing those things around, suiting up with a single feels almost like cheating!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom