Getting my own tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My tanks don't need to have the big green and yellow nitrox stickers on them since they're not O2 cleaned. If your tanks are filled with pre-mixed nitrox, your tanks don't need to be O2 clean. They only need to be O2 clean if you get partial-pressure nitrox fills.

Your shop puts 32% Nitrox into a tank that has no Yellow/Green Nitrox bands? Not around these parts...

(I 'm a Trimix blender so I understand the theory).

They do the same around here in GA and FL. If it is banked it goes in any tank with current hydro and viz. If it is PP blended then it needs to be O2 cleaned and shops discretion if it needs the Nitrox bumper sticker.

Interesting. I thought it was cardinal rule to have the tank marked if it contained anything other than 21%? I always be learning up on here.

Will be experimenting with new weighting on Saturday at quarry. With 5mm currently wear 6lbs at waist and 6lbs in trim pockets on top of BP/weighted STA. Since I tend to be head UP, take 4 lbs from waist first?

Last edited:
I don't have Nitrox stickers on my tanks. The VIP sticker attests that they are O2 Clean. Shops from NJ to FL have done partial pressure fills for me with no questions.

longer tanks, like AL80s, LP85s and 104/130s, were much easier for me to dive as doubles - the weight distribution kept me from feeling "head heavy" in a trim position.

The shorter the tanks are, the closer their center of gravity will be to your head...

CGA
I don't have Nitrox stickers on my tanks. The VIP sticker attests that they are O2 Clean. Shops from NJ to FL have done partial pressure fills for me with no questions.

We do the same thing. If the VIS was for O2, no problem doing PP fills. I don't want to rehash the 40% vs 23.5% debate. This predates you Stu by a long time and can raise temps very fast. We made a decision in our shop to use CGA standards and that's that.

The question is whether someone will fill a non O2 cleaned tank with up to 40%. OSHA (Commercial diving standards) says treat anything under 40% as air and anything over as pure O2. CGA says anything over 23.5% is treated as O2. This is probably a good time to don a flameproof suit.

Will be experimenting with new weighting on Saturday at quarry. With 5mm currently wear 6lbs at waist and 6lbs in trim pockets on top of BP/weighted STA. Since I tend to be head heavy, take 4 lbs from waist first?

Shedding 4lbs from an AL80 to HP80 is about right.

I like to remove as much weight from the waist as possible while maintaining a balanced rig (still able to swim up given a wing failure). With a single tank, even an HP80 in a wetsuit, you should hopefully not need more than a few lbs ditchable at the waist to be able to swim up given a true wing failure. This is a good exercise as you're getting your weighting right with new tanks, especially ones that are more negative than you're used to. Get to a platform in the quarry at about 30', dump all the air from your wing with a full tank, and then ensure you can still swim up (with or without ditching weight). If you can't, then safety dictates you need more ditchable weight so it has to go on the waist.

Regarding weight distribution/ trim: You may find you are more head heavy with your new tanks configuration due to the shorter tank placing your CoG higher. Try putting your trim pockets on the lower cam band (assuming you have them on the upper tank band as is more commonly seen right now).

CGA

We do the same thing. If the VIS was for O2, no problem doing PP fills. I don't want to rehash the 40% vs 23.5% debate. This predates you Stu by a long time and can raise temps very fast. We made a decision in our shop to use CGA standards and that's that.

The question is whether someone will fill a non O2 cleaned tank with up to 40%. OSHA (Commercial diving standards) says treat anything under 40% as air and anything over as pure O2. CGA says anything over 23.5% is treated as O2. This is probably a good time to don a flameproof suit.

I've seen the debate. Definitely no need to have it again here.

The useful point (I think) is that Nitrox stickers are meaningless (except, possibly, to a shop that wants to sell Nitrox stickers). They have nothing to do with whether you can get fills from a PP fill station (or any other kind of fill station).

Similar to the "but you have to have a Nitrox C card" story, if someone ever tells me that they can't give me a Nitrox fill because I don't have Nitrox stickers on my tanks, I guess I'll just have to pull out my Helitrox card and tell them I changed my mind. Can I please have Trimix 32/0? LOL

Will be experimenting with new weighting on Saturday at quarry. With 5mm currently wear 6lbs at waist and 6lbs in trim pockets on top of BP/weighted STA. Since I tend to be head heavy, take 4 lbs from waist first?

If you are head heavy, you want to remove the weight that is closest to your head. Taking weight off your waist is probably the last resort, not the first.

Back
Top Bottom