Getting my own tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good for you on breaking out of analysis paralysis!

Just for the record, this does not need to be true:

Most AL80s are +4.4# buoyant when empty. Different HP100s are different, but, as an example, mine are -1.5# buoyant when empty.

If you know your weighting with an AL80, then all you need to know is the empty buoyancy of the AL80 you've been using and the empty buoyancy of the HP100 (or whatever) you're thinking of. Subtract one from the other and that tells you how much weight to change and still hit the water just right.

For mine: -1.5 - 4.4 = -5.9#. So, if I got from an AL80 to my HP100, I am 6# more negative than I was before (comparing empty to empty) and I can take 6# off my rig or belt and hit the water with pretty much exactly the same buoyancy when I get to my safety stop at the end.

The only thing to really work out is your trim. Going from an AL80 to an HP100 *might* change your trim a little and prompt you to move a little weight around. Maybe. But, any change there will probably be pretty darn minor.

Yup, worked perfectly for me when I went from an AL80 to an HP117. Just had to play with my trim, moving the weights around. The *total* weight was perfect the first time.

An Al80 is a great tank and less than half the price of a steel tank. It's also pretty handy for both a new diver or an experienced diver. I still have and frequently use the first tank I bought while diving the great lakes (it's an Al80). You'll see plenty of people on dive boats here using those. A steel tank can be added later if it suits your needs.

Removed by rx7diver.

Last edited:
IMG_3349.JPG
Meet my new friends Bifur and Bofur. :D HP80s I just brought home. Named after two dwarves from The Hobbit since they're short and fat. :rofl3:

I was thinking HP100s, but the HP80s really are better for my short stature. And they're so short! Yay! Easier to schlep! And I get to take lead off my belt.

My dive buddy has my AL80s on loan to use, as he doesn't have his own tanks. He saves $$ by only getting air fills, instead of renting tanks, and I get the AL80s out of my living room (I have a small place and my gear lives in my living room). He's schlepped them enough for me, he might as well use them! :D

ETA: and since someone will probably ask - no big green/yellow nitrox stickers on my tanks since the shop banks 32%.

Last edited:
>> ETA: and since someone will probably ask - no nitrox stickers on my tanks since the shop banks 32%.<<

Explain the relationship between no Nitrox stickers and your shop banking 32%? Trifle confused what you mean.

>> ETA: and since someone will probably ask - no nitrox stickers on my tanks since the shop banks 32%.<<

Explain the relationship between no Nitrox stickers and your shop banking 32%? Trifle confused what you mean.

My tanks don't need to have the big green and yellow nitrox stickers on them since they're not O2 cleaned. If your tanks are filled with pre-mixed nitrox, your tanks don't need to be O2 clean. They only need to be O2 clean if you get partial-pressure nitrox fills.

My tanks don't need to have the big green and yellow nitrox stickers on them since they're not O2 cleaned. If your tanks are filled with pre-mixed nitrox, your tanks don't need to be O2 clean. They only need to be O2 clean if you get partial-pressure nitrox fills.
Always depending on which expert you ask.

Congratulations on your newest acquisitions!

I wanted to make a little observation on your comment below, regarding height and tank length. Like you, I am somewhat vertically challenged (5'5" on a goood day <g>}. I've actually discussed this topic in at least one of my class reports - basically I chronicled some of my own experiences using different tank sizes (length, volume, steel vs AL, etc).

To try to summarize: my very first of set of tanks was a pair of Faber LP95s. I had gotten advice from my LDS (in Atlanta) that they would be the best tanks for me bc of their length and my height. As discussed in my report (and other posts), it actually turned out that longer tanks, like AL80s, LP85s and 104/130s, were much easier for me to dive as doubles - the weight distribution kept me from feeling "head heavy" in a trim position.

I'm still experimenting with the best tanks for SM bailout - i love diving with LP45s, but when that's not enough gas, I'm mostly using LP85s (and stages). But i realize there may be better options for me, for SM, so I'm keeping my mind open on that front (as well as my eyes, for deals)!

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to point out that the idea that short tanks are better for short people isn't always a truism! Of course it may very well the case for quite a lot of people, but the best way to know how well a tank/set of tanks is going to work, is try them out, where possible.

In closing: I've been enjoying your updates and hope you continue to have as much passion for diving as you've been showing us! And most importantly, that you keep having fun! :)

View attachment 420596 ...I was thinking HP100s, but the HP80s really are better for my short stature. And they're so short! Yay! Easier to schlep! And I get to take lead off my belt...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom