GUE Tech 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Seriously...get a grip and go buy some hooked on phonics...you might be able to then read the title of the forum: "General Tek Discussiuons"...clearly you have lots of useful info to add to this discussion about a specfifc tech class you've taken with GUE or otherwise.

NAUI-DM, IANTD Nitrox, GUE Fundamentals

Why don't you answer your own question? I'm waiting to hear all about your extensive technical diving experience.

wb416 once bubbled...

Careful... I seem to recall a particular saying regarding "...people that live in glass houses...", and another about "...wrestling with a pig...".
I know...I'm just a little on the easily pissed off side this morning...I would have kept my mouth shut...or...keyboard silent if I hadn't read his response to my appreciation of the trip reports that were posted earlier in this thread....I know I don't have a lot to add...but I have loads to gain from reading those reports...Frankly, I find your web page most informative...thanks for keeping a nice documentary of your transition bob...I for one have enjoyed reading it!

I know I'm probably going to take a slap on the wrist for calling him half-educated and all...oh well...it's not a first....probably won't be a last...

chrpai once bubbled...

Why don't you answer your own question? I'm waiting to hear all about your extensive technical diving experience.
Seriously...LEARN to READ!!!! Cram your pie-hole full of something for a while and read. When you find my question in this thread...other than "Why do you guys have to go and ruin a perfectly good trip report thread?" Let me know

roakey once bubbled...
....At this point in time the only guarantee of getting a good instructor is going to GUE, due to the other agencies lack of quality....

:rolleyes: Now here is an outstanding example of the kind of sheer arrogance that really hacks everybody off!!!

It assumes that ALL divers seeking training are too stupid to ask questions, seek references, and make ANY decisions on their own. They must, of course, be led by the nose-ring to the "ONLY" font of wisdom!

It also assumes that the rest of us are about to believe that ALL OTHER INSTRUCTORS (i.e. those who have not been blessed by the GUE wave of the hand and kissing of the ring) are incompetent!

The effrontery and arrogance of this kind of statement is truly breath-taking, but, unfortunately, typical of what we have come to know as fanatical cultist behaviour.:fury:

...And, yes, like Fiona, I find that I am a bit grumpy today, having been up all night helping people affected by the storm in our area yesterday.

Nevertheless, the statement that: "No one knows the right way but those of us who follow THE PATH" reminds me of a certain guru named Jones, who did, in fact, say: "Drink this Kool-Aid. It's GOOD for you!"

:fire:

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...

:rolleyes: Now here is an outstanding example of the kind of sheer arrogance that really hacks everybody off!!!

I couldn't say it better.

PS- When the hell are we going diving my fellow Houstonian?

I don't have anything against GUE, but I still disagree with roaky.
The concept that a diver is incapable of working out who is good and bad and therefore they are the only viable option is a nonsense. It does depend on exactly what you want to learn as well.
To be fair I have never knowingly met a GUE trained diver, I do however know plenty of very competant IANTD trained ones. Every area has it's own self selecting groups that are actually doing the diving in a given area, usually using techniques that work for a given set of conditions etc - it's a matter of finding out who they are and speaking to them to find out who the good instructors are.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
I know...I'm just a little on the easily pissed off side this morning...I would have kept my mouth shut...or...keyboard silent if I hadn't read his response to my appreciation of the trip reports that were posted earlier in this thread....I know I don't have a lot to add...but I have loads to gain from reading those reports...
It's easy to get caught up in it... but remember the end result... it's all about having fun with your diving... it's not good to try and force anyone to do anything they're not interested in doing. You give your testimonial... let them know what's out there... and let them make their own decisions just like someone let you make yours.

I'd also like to add that GUE doesn't have a monopoly on good instructors, although IMHO, it certainly helps increase the odds significantly of finding a good one. There are non-GUE instructors out there that are every bit as passionate and particular about the knowledge they pass on as GUE instructors, although again, I'd like to add, that every GUE instructor I've met so far has a pretty high level of excitement and passion about what they're doing and teaching.

Everyone has to make a choice that they can live with. What's yours going to be?

Frankly, I find your web page most informative...thanks for keeping a nice documentary of your transition bob...I for one have enjoyed reading it!
thanks... I read some of that stuff now and wonder... "what was I thinking??" It's also useful for reminding me where I came from and how far I have yet to go...

I know I'm probably going to take a slap on the wrist for calling him half-educated and all...oh well...it's not a first....probably won't be a last...
hey.... what's one more bruise?

bob

wb416 once bubbled...
I'd also like to add that GUE doesn't have a monopoly on good instructors, although IMHO, it certainly helps increase the odds significantly of finding a good one. There are non-GUE instructors out there that are every bit as passionate and particular about the knowledge they pass on as GUE instructors, although again, I'd like to add, that so far every GUE instructor I've met so far has a pretty high level of excitement and passion about what they're doing and teaching.
I whole heartedly agree with this statement, and respectully disagree with roak. Not everyone is going to find a perfect instructor with GUE. It is a fact, you can't please the world. There are a number of instructors who are very passionate about their diving, their students, and their student's diving. Those all happen to be traits I found with the 4 GUE instructors I've met, and with at least 4 others I've met personally who are by no means a GUE instructors...

I apologize to all for my earlier rant...I was probably out of line...

And Bob...keep the good stuff coming!!

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...

It assumes that ALL divers seeking training are too stupid to ask questions, seek references, and make ANY decisions on their own. They must, of course, be led by the nose-ring to the "ONLY" font of wisdom!

It also assumes that the rest of us are about to believe that ALL OTHER INSTRUCTORS (i.e. those who have not been blessed by the GUE wave of the hand and kissing of the ring) are incompetent!

The effrontery and arrogance of this kind of statement is truly breath-taking, but, unfortunately, typical of what we have come to know as fanatical cultist behaviour.:fury:

...And, yes, like Fiona, I find that I am a bit grumpy today, having been up all night helping people affected by the storm in our area yesterday.

Nevertheless, the statement that: "No one knows the right way but those of us who follow THE PATH" reminds me of a certain guru named Jones, who did, in fact, say: "Drink this Kool-Aid. It's GOOD for you!"

:fire:

I understand what you're saying, they get under my skin too.

However, I hope that the "wide net" you cast in your post regarding "cultist behavior" is simply a reaction to some posts you disagreed with, and not, rather, a reflection on my posts or those like Uncle Pug that are simply trying to share what we've experienced.

Take what you want from my posts, but I'm not interested in arguing or berating anyone into anything... your choice alone.

regards,
bob

Bob,

You are quite correct. I am not against the DIR style of doing things, nor am I against GUE as a teaching group. I have many friends, particularly instructors in the cave diving community, who dive and teach that style. I have learned much from them.

I am against arrogance. I am against the kind of statement that displays "cultist" arrogance. That's all.

As for our ancient and honourable Uncle Pug, I hope he never stops writing. I howl with laughter at his stories!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom