GUE Tech 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwfletcher once bubbled...
Just out of curiousity ... what are the facts again? All that I have seen so far is opinion and speculation. Sorry, I had to ask.
Must be a product of public education...

The facts again:

I never said that you had to be GUE trained to be good.

I never said that only GUE instructors are good.

Almost all divers that have taken the DIRF class have been amazed at being shown a ton of stuff that they had no idea about before the class.

Of course, understanding the facts above would have simply required reading my post for actual comprehension, rather than taking the easy way out and simpley posting a cute quip. If you feel that any of these are not actual facts, I'm more than willing to discuss them, but supply counter examples, not just the typical anti-DIR whining as you so accurately demonstrated.

Roak

The facts again:

I never said that you had to be GUE trained to be good.

I never said that only GUE instructors are good.

Almost all divers that have taken the DIRF class have been amazed at being shown a ton of stuff that they had no idea about before the class.

Is this a function of the class (nobody else is offering the equivalent of a "DIRF") or of the instructors?

Could PADI/SSI/NAUI/etc offer such a class? Sure. They (at least so far) don't seem to see a reason to do so.

I would argue that the facts that are averred, accepted at face value, do not promote the case that GUE instructors are "good" in a greater proportion than any other agencies.

(Note that I'm not arguing they are - or are not - just that the facts averred do not support the conclusion being claimed.)

roakey once bubbled...

Must be a product of public education...

Roak

Actually, I am a product of Harvard Law School. Thank you anyway for the condescension. In addition, I challenge you to find one anti-DIR post under my screen name.

Opinion Time:
It appears to me that most here do not possess an aversion to DIR methods. It is the arraogance of a few self-proclaimed disciples of GUE such as yourself that tends to sour the milk for those of us simply seeking knowledge from all sources. This has been my first DIR post ... and is most definitely the last. I enjoyed Jarrod's books, but definitely prefer not to have the negative association.

I keep thinking someday y'all would outgrow the behavior of picking a fight and whining when we fight back, but it's been going on for years and I guess it'll continue...

Take a DIRF class and come back here and tell us you learned nothing.

Roak

Genesis once bubbled...
Is this a function of the class (nobody else is offering the equivalent of a "DIRF") or of the instructors?
Very good Genesis, you saw that there's two ways to make the other agencies at par with GUE:

GUE goes into the toilet

The other agencies climb out of theirs.

There's nothing stopping the other agencies from having the level of quality that GUE currently has. But they're going to have to get rid of a ton of inferior instructors, and that means loss of revenue and, well, for that reason I'm not holding my breath.

But I can always dream...

Roak

pwfletcher once bubbled...

Actually, I am a product of Harvard Law School. Thank you anyway for the condescension. In addition, I challenge you to find one anti-DIR post under my screen name.

Opinion Time:
It appears to me that most here do not possess an aversion to DIR methods. It is the arraogance of a few self-proclaimed disciples of GUE such as yourself that tends to sour the milk for those of us simply seeking knowledge from all sources. This has been my first DIR post ... and is most definitely the last. I enjoyed Jarrod's books, but definitely prefer not to have the negative association.

Oh. In that case, I'll write s-l-o-w-l-y. :wink:

Roak is not being arrogant. GUE openly acknowledges that it is not intending to mass market their product. That is the fundamental difference between GUE and the other, larger, agencies.

I have not been diving with all of the GUE instructors, or even most of them. However, I can say that the GUE trained divers I've been in the water with have exhibited an overall level of competance that exceeds the level demonstrated by other divers of comparable experience. I'm far more comfortable with a GUE trained diver than I am with a diver from another agency.

That doesn't mean that non-GUE divers cannot be good, safe, skilled divers or that GUE training automatically makes someone a better diver. However, I do find far fewer issues, or none at all, when diving with a GUE trained diver who actually uses the training than when I'm with divers from other agencies. The similarity of the training and the adherance to a common set of rules results in a dive with fewer potential surprises.

I'm not surprised this thread ended up this way. I guess every GUE/DIR thread does.

I initially asked about GUE Tech 1 because I have a chance to take the course. I am leaning towards GUE because there is no other agency aside from NAUI and PADI around here.

I know that PADI and NAUI both have tech programs. But I have always associated both organizations with o/w reef divers. GUE has been associated with tech, tech, tech, and more tech.

Chickdiver could probably give you more information about Naui's Tech program. I believe that she is a Naui Tech Instructor.

If you have the chance, and have taken DIR-F (I believe that its now a pre-requisite), go for it. Great course and you'll have your helium cert for normoxic when you are done.

I am defiantly taking the DIRF. I have the option of taking DIRF and then Tech 1 for $800 out the door. That includes everything.

I just don't know if I will have the time to take Tech 1. May have to wait until next year. :(

And I just put this thread up to see some others insight on the course. I did speak with a few (mostly through emails) and they were very helpful. If I had the time I would defiantly take the course.

$800 for both DIRF and Tech 1, including everything???
Does that include gas fills, boat fee and such?
If so, that's an amazing price.

For the couple of Tech 1 classes that were held in this area, the cost was significantly higher, as boat trips, gasses, and instructor expenses added up to a pretty high sum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom