GUE Tech 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cornfed once bubbled...
Sorry bud, but you pretty much started this when you put down all divers, instructors, etc.
Not once, not twice but THREE times I made darn sure I stated that it's not all divers or instructors.

Are you so worked up you can't read what I wrote through the spittle on your screen?

Or do you have a comprehension problem?

Roak

Let’s try this one more time. I’ll use little words, even.

The oft repeated quote “It’s not the agency, it’s the instructor” is an ADMISSION that agencies have bad instructors that you have to avoid.

My ONLY point is that at this point in time you are guaranteed to get a good instructor if you go to GUE, not so with the other agencies, as ANYONE who has uttered the statement “It’s not the agency, it’s the instructor” has to agree with, because it’s a tautology (ok, one big word, go find a dictionary).

Roak

roakey once bubbled...

The oft repeated quote “It’s not the agency, it’s the instructor” is an ADMISSION that agencies have bad instructors that you have to avoid.

My ONLY point is that at this point in time you are guaranteed to get a good instructor if you go to GUE, not so with the other agencies, as ANYONE who has uttered the statement “It’s not the agency, it’s the instructor” has to agree with, because it’s a tautology (ok, one big word, go find a dictionary).

Roak

Although I pretty well agree Roak, I think you're casting the net a little widely. Alot of issues that have been answered by that statement have been with standards between agencies, teaching methods, and personalities. I don't see the only reason being a bad instructor.
And, although someone can be a very accomplished instructor, they may also be a total dufus. I don't see any agency immune to that.

MD

roakey once bubbled...
Let’s try this one more time. I’ll use little words, even.

Roak

pssssstttt... I think someone charged your fire extinguisher with gasoline instead of an oxygen inhibitor.... or should we change your title from "regulator" to "catalyst"? :D

roakey once bubbled...

Not once, not twice but THREE times I made darn sure I stated that it's not all divers or instructors.

Are you so worked up you can't read what I wrote through the spittle on your screen?

Or do you have a comprehension problem?
Well, let's see...

Up until you got involved in this thread thread it wasn't much more then “here's a link to a tech 1 report”. Then flw said, “that's nice but GUE is so small there might not be and instructor near by but don't worry there are plenty of non-GUE people who are good instructors.” To which you replied,
Using the premise that your skills aren't very good and that the vast majority of divers out there skill's aren't very good and the vast majority of instructors out there skill's aren't very good, how to you go about finding the good ones?
<snip>
At this point in time the only guarantee of getting a good instructor is going to GUE, due to the other agencies lack of quality.

So yeah, I'd say you put down all other agencies. But then again, you aren't the first person to question my reading comprehension so it probably isn't that good.

Frankly I don't care if you corrected or clarified your statement two, three or four times because it doesn't change the fact you started this ball rolling. Your later statement about anti-DIR people picking fights and then whining when people like you fight back is totally unfounded.

Oh, and I'm not the one all worked up here.

Okay, Drew, have you been drooling over that Victoria's Secret computer screensaver again? Tsk, tsk!:wink:

I'm beginning to think that someone is sneaking in and sending posts to the board while Roakey is out diving. First he talks about other agencies being in the toilet, and says that other writers are "products of public education" or, as in your case, that they can't read.

Then the "real" Roakey comes back and says: "I never said any of that, and, besides, all of you are whiners anyway!"

This multiple personality stuff is hard to keep track of, isn't it?:confused:

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...
Okay, Drew, have you been drooling over that Victoria's Secret computer screensaver again? Tsk, tsk!:wink:

My wife has been out of town for a couple of days... (hangs head in shame)

BACK ON SUBJECT. What about GUE Tech 1? If you all want to keep on arguing about the principles of instruction then start your own G.D. thread.

Because of crap like this, the search function on this board is useless.

There is too much effort involved, to find any useful information on this board because of this ****. I have surf through 190 threads, only to find out that 90% of the post are complete bull**** and WAY off topic!

I thought someone was assigned a job to keep this from happening.

On track..

WJL once bubbled...
Relatively few people take GUE's Tech1 class each year, and of those that do, few are members of this board. I don't remember any Tech1 class reports being posted here. That being said, I know that BCS, Scot and wb416 from this board, among others, were in a Tech1 class in August in Ontario. Scot and BCS (Brandon) are GUE Fundamentals instructors, you can reach them at their web site www.scubaguys.com. I imagine they will be happy to tell you about the class and what to expect.

vlada once bubbled...
Took it with Dan MacKay in Kingston

it was am amazing class, learnt a lot and i am a way better diver after it

If you want details, please PM me

Vlada
[/QUOTE

boomx5 once bubbled...
Delia has a real nice trip report from her Tech1 class postedHere.

patmandu once bubbled...
There are a couple of reports on my website

http://www.northeastdir.com they are located in the 'library' section.

You'll find a T1 report written by me and one by another individual. There's also a report on my cave 1 course as well.

please let me know ifyou have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them

Patrick

HolgerS once bubbled...
I am diving for 12 years, being an active CMAS instructor and did the DIR-Fundamentals and the Tech-1 class this year!

Amazing, I relearnt diving! My personal opinion: in comparison to all courses from all agencies I watched so far, GUE has the REAL concept teaching for Tech. Very tough but really teaching the obvious right things for diving tech safely and challengingly.

I personally have decided to go for the Tech2 class also and to adapt my own Advanced Nitrox classes to GUE Tech1 classes!

I recommend everyone pursueing REAL tech diving to go for GUE.

Safe diving
:) HolgerS

Manos once bubbled...
SOme tech 1 articles in my webpage.

Regards Manos

http://www.dir.cy.net/dirf.html

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
Chickdiver could probably give you more information about Naui's Tech program. I believe that she is a Naui Tech Instructor.

If you have the chance, and have taken DIR-F (I believe that its now a pre-requisite), go for it. Great course and you'll have your helium cert for normoxic when you are done.

paulwlee once bubbled...
$800 for both DIRF and Tech 1, including everything???
Does that include gas fills, boat fee and such?
If so, that's an amazing price.

For the couple of Tech 1 classes that were held in this area, the cost was significantly higher, as boat trips, gasses, and instructor expenses added up to a pretty high sum.

IMHO the rest of the post's are
Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

"moot", a point that is "of no practical importance; irrelevant."

[/B]

cornfed once bubbled...
So yeah, I'd say you put down all other agencies. But then again, you aren't the first person to question my reading comprehension so it probably isn't that good.

Ok.. I've had enough requests to look at this thing, that I actually did.

In all honesty, I've got to agree with Roakey. No, I've not taken a GUE course... but:

How many people have heard of a DIR-F grad realizing later that their instructor wasn't all they thought they were cracked up to be at the time they took the class?

Yes, my OW instructor was great... until I learned better. My AOW instructors were great... until I learned better. My Cavern instructor was great.... I got lucky. My Adv Nitrox/Deco/mix instructor prospects looked great, then I started to figure out what I really was looking for, and went off in search of a new instructor... who, of course, is great.

Roakey's point is just being missed by everyone. He's not blanket bashing. He's pointing out that if you blindly choose an instructor from any agency, there is a chance you'll get someone that isn't any good. You might have questions you are going to ask to gauge if they are a good instructor, but how do you really know until you figure out what you _didn't_ learn in your class? You don't know what questions you need to ask until after you take the class. So you really are running on faith for any instructor you choose... because you're not going to know the questions you needed to ask until after.

Spectre once bubbled...

Yes, my OW instructor was great... until I learned better.

Roakey's point is just being missed by everyone. He's not blanket bashing. He's pointing out that if you blindly choose an instructor from any agency, there is a chance you'll get someone that isn't any good.

My OW instructor was great. I didn't realize that at the time, but when I found out how crappy my AOW instructor was I did.

Now I might accept Roakey's point, if that is what he actually said. But it wasn't. He clearly stated that there wasn't any chance you'd get someone bad from GUE. Clearly different from what you are saying he said. And hence the arrogance and bashing. Hence why I said someone is changing "it's the instructor not the agency" to "its the agency not the instructor"

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom