Intro to Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndigoBlue:
I would talk to your instructor. That is a hard question.

I tend to shy away from the very newest stuff, like the ScubaPro Mark 25 and the S650, until it has been around for awhile, and time tested. Thats why I mentioned the Mark 20 and the S600.

Thank you!!

IndigoBlue:
If your argon bottle first stage is O2 cleaned, you can switch it underwater to one of your deco bottles if that reg fails. True, you would have to do a lot of switching, including a hose with a second stage on it, and that would entail having a tool with you.

You should share the drugs your on so the rest of us can be on the same level as you :bang:

jaydee197:
have you ever taken the second stage off of a reg, taken out the plug of another, and installed the second stage onto another reg while underwater? This seems pointless given that if you need to switch regs underwater, generally you are going to be in doubles where one of those would work if you only have one deco bottle...or use one off of another deco bottle....JD
Yeah, an argon reg would be an absolute last resort, let's see... all my regs would have to be toast, all of my buddies would have to be also (you could always buddy breathe), I'd rather feather the valve and breathe straight off of it, but it's really academic, I'm sure by the time it got to that point I'd have kicked it.

Ben

Considering that simplicity is supposed to be the key here, it seems like an awful lot of work to switch to your argon bottle for breathing. Also taking in consideration that you are supposed to remain as streamlined as possible....where would I put my handy-dandy tool? BCD pocket? Oh yeah, I'm on the doubles tread....

I think I would prefer to use the best tool of all (brain) and switch my reg to the one on my deco bottle. Talk about task loading any other way.

C.

Yeah, an argon reg would be an absolute last resort, let's see... all my regs would have to be toast, all of my buddies would have to be also (you could always buddy breathe), I'd rather feather the valve and breathe straight off of it, but it's really academic, I'm sure by the time it got to that point I'd have kicked it.

WHAT? you mean you don't have the "strip down the argon regulator and install second stage" skill down to 27 seconds flat?

oh and i took the chance of diving with you. never again.

When was the last time you checked the purity of your argon? Regardless; if you _were_ to macgyver your way into using your argon reg on your deco bottle; there is going to be so much water in that reg that an o2 flash is rather unlikely; and it -definately- ain't gonna be o2 clean anymore.

Spectre:
When was the last time you checked the purity of your argon? Regardless; if you _were_ to macgyver your way into using your argon reg on your deco bottle; there is going to be so much water in that reg that an o2 flash is rather unlikely; and it -definately- ain't gonna be o2 clean anymore.

Ya know, I'm really disappointed. Here I thought I was the only stupid diver on the board that didn't know about the ole O2 argon regulator trick, and it turns out there's lots of us :11:

Maybe we can organize a class real fast...

OneBrightGator:

Ben

Good points. Also, your hang tank(s) would have to be toast too. Those are all good points. And all true.

So in answer to Humba's question, there is no actual class for it, most seem to get into it around the time of doing adv nitrox/deco proceedures classes. However looking at Humba's allegiances to DIR, do they teach anything about doubles in the Tech courses through GUE? Or would it be a case of redoing DIR-F with doubles to check things out again?

I tried a set of doubles out last weekend with my instructor (GDI), to see how they felt, in a shallow lake (~30ft) prior to purchasing two single tanks of the same size and manufacturer (i had already tried them out as singles - elsewhere) and i was wondering how they would feel doubled up - as that would be how i would use them one day. At the same time two others were there (fray1 and starryskies) who were doing their adv nitrox/deco prep dives (ie working on deco tank use, placement, picking up dropping off tanks) prior to actual deco dives. They were both in doubles as was GDI - Fred hasnt dove doubles in the caves (so far), just a 104 with H valve, Pat (aka P2 to the conch divers) does use doubles in the caves (i think both of them are intro) cant recall the size of hers, but i think they are around 85-95 tanks. So she obvious picked up the tanks to use prior to that course and had used them a bit before, he hadnt used them in almost a year. I guess it varies for all divers when they get introduced to them and how much they use them. I liked the feel of them, but obviously am not kitted out (either equipment wise or skills/training) to use them properly quite yet - but it was nice to get introduced to them and realise what i was heading towards one day.

I am enjoying the debate/fight on the juggling of regs from every conceivable tank :yleyes: - very amusing - if you dont mind the extra weight, it does sound like you could take a full workmans bench and big old tool box down there with you to fix your problems - just in case :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom