Intro to Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre:
When was the last time you checked the purity of your argon? Regardless; if you _were_ to macgyver your way into using your argon reg on your deco bottle; there is going to be so much water in that reg that an o2 flash is rather unlikely; and it -definately- ain't gonna be o2 clean anymore.
Maybe you should only dive in O2 clean water...

simbrooks:
So in answer to Humba's question, there is no actual class for it, most seem to get into it around the time of doing adv nitrox/deco proceedures classes. However looking at Humba's allegiances to DIR, do they teach anything about doubles in the Tech courses through GUE? Or would it be a case of redoing DIR-F with doubles to check things out again?

In DIR-F you would only get valve drills & Trimming needs. Since DIR-F does not go into deco there is no need to practice the 9 faliures and would take too much time away from the real importance of the class. In Triox and Tech 1 you would go into the 9 faliures and be tested on them with real simulations.

Just so you guys know they do have UHP argon and higher grades that could be used with straight O2, would that be expensive!

When I decided to get twins, I just did some reading, sites like this really help, there are plenty of threads on the topic. Once I figured out what I needed for gear, I got the stuff together, and set up my doubles.

I'm spending lots of time in doubles at the recreational level before I start with any sort of technical training. I started with the shore dives that I know well, got out and dove the sites the same way I did in a single. It made the change nice and manageable, I did about 30 shore dives in the twins over the winter before I took them on a boat dive.

I had about 90 dives before I made the switch, it took some time to get my routing and configuration sorted out, but like I said, there is lots of info out there. One of my regular dive buddies has his mix card, and he was a great source of advice.

So, asking questions here, and finding someone who dives doubles was a good way to get started for me anyway. I'm sure it will work for you.

IndigoBlue:
If your argon bottle first stage is O2 cleaned, you can switch it underwater to one of your deco bottles if that reg fails. True, you would have to do a lot of switching, including a hose with a second stage on it, and that would entail having a tool with you.

Or ... you could always just use your snorkel ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cnidae:
Just so you guys know they do have UHP argon and higher grades that could be used with straight O2, would that be expensive!

Ordinary welding argon is cleaner than medical O2.

If my argon was dirty enough to cause problems I would be sending it back to my gas man because my welds would be nasty.

cnidae:
It's not the argon that's the problem, it's the seawater that would get in while you're switching that makes the idea of O2 cleaning an argon reg ridiculous.

Ben

Spectre:
I'd love to; but I gotta go argon clean my o2 regs... just in case.

cornfed:
Maybe you should only dive in O2 clean water...

Doggone it!! Just when I thought I had things figured out, now I find out about "argon cleaning". Ayyy, la chinga!! Of course, if I only dive in O2 clean water....aw, that'll never happen!!! :wink:

----------------------------------------------------

:cwmddd: "Well, monkey, I don't give a peddler's damn whether you wank DIR or dive Supreme."---(Mr. Natural)

With so many failures I think it is time to just surface and take a hit if it comes to that.
Of course it is likely that tanks full of gas with working regulators are probably available on the surface and you can do a missed deco if needed.

IndigoBlue:
Sometimes Mech betrays his lack of experience, and this was one of those times, LOL !!
And your lack of judgement betrays you. I don't know who you're trying to impress here but you need to cut it out. Do you have any clue who you're talking too? I don't recall anyone asking humba what he is experience level is. In fact, the only discussion about his experience was in the opening post where he said he doesn't think he's ready. So please tell me, IB, why you are talking to him about hypoxic mixes and dives requiring 3 stage bottles?

Humma, please please please do not listen to IndigoBlue! The advice he is offering (while not inherently dangerous) is silly to be giving to someone that has as little experience as you suggested you have. He defends his arguments by belittling people that are actually trying to give you solid information. When getting advice from an anonymous source like this you should take everything with a grain of salt and talk to as many different people as possible. This will help you sort the good advice from the bad. Don't be surprised if IB's advice falls in the later category.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom