New Here from Singapore! Getting Certified in Thailand - Where to Go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Visibility at Phuket dive sites depends on the site. Normally, novice divers doing an Open Water course will dive at Racha Yai, where you can expect 20m plus visibility.

Racha Yai

In an advanced open water course a dive site such as the King Cruiser Wreck is often dived where visibility can be anything from 5 - 20m.

King Cruiser Wreck

Or, if you have time and a little more money and decide after your Open Water course that diving is the best thing in the world (as many people do), you might decide on the Similan Islands...

Similan Islands

Weather is H.O.T. Had a nice big thunderstorm last night for about 30 minutes to cool off. March and April are the hottest months.

Hmmm... Batfish, you had me sold. Any good dive school to recommend?
(*Curious) And what do you do in Phuket?
Yup, HOT months are great. Chose the hot months on purpose to escape the heat. And the best way to do it, is to go diving. :wink:

gnojoey:
Hmmm... Batfish, you had me sold. Any good dive school to recommend?
(*Curious) And what do you do in Phuket?
Yup, HOT months are great. Chose the hot months on purpose to escape the heat. And the best way to do it, is to go diving. :wink:

I have been to Phuket last year and the year before that. When diving around Phuket & Phi Phi, I dived with Calypso Divers based in Kata. I booked with them the next year for a livaboard to the Similans.

They were great. Our scheduled boat was cancelled due to engine trouble. The guy at Calypso (can't remember his name) arranged for a rep from Thai air to be stood at the airport as we disembarked holding a sign with my name on it and his number. I called him and he informed us about the boat. He had arranged for us to have an option, either go straight to the marina from the airport (he had sent our rental gear on ahead, in case we chose that option) or wait till the next day to go on a different boat.

We chose to go straight to the marina (they payed for the taxi!!) and we sailed that night. Very impressive service. (We hadn't even payed any more than a deposit at this point!!) The boat was Queen Scuba run by Grand corel divers. A very good boat & good dive guides.

Thanks for the info Chuffy! Will look into Calypso as suggested. Am still looking around for more information. Thanks. :)

As it turns out Songkran = GoodFriday/Easter this year but I hear the South and Pattaya may celebrate Songkran later in the year. Watch out for pretty girls squirting powder and dubious fluids at you.. :)

I did my courses with West Coast Divers (www.westcoastdivers.com), they were very good and the classes were very well run. Make sure you opt for the 3 day option to save time, we even did lessons/knowledge reviews on the boat ride over to save some time. I liked the schedule because you get to practise those skills out in some of the nicest sites. Even caught a turtle on my 3rd dive! Very impressive...

Thanks again Traminer, for the link and the info. :)
Will check them out.
Hope Songkran is fun in Phuket!

Thanks there dive_lover88. :)

HI,

Firstly, welcome to the new dimension- soon you'll be flying like a naut..aquanaut..

if you got plans to do diving in mid april. I suggest you keep your options open till 23rd April. ADEX is round the corner, many operators are giving new PADI packaged courses as well as learn to dive and probaly win a trip ...just not sure when this lucky draw closes.

I did my Open Water in real milky waters and then my advance in Thailand Koh Phi Phi. Under good hands I don't see much of a problem.

If yo cannot wait, try the following that I dives with:-

1) Scubacat
2) Sea-bees
3) islanddivers
4) South Siam Divers
5) Rachseamaster
6) Fantaseadivers
7) paradise divers

Have been diving with them for years since 2000 until I switched over to Borneo diving over these 2 years. My last trip was in early 2005 with South Siam.

Most of them are pretty well organized and the prices are thereabout reasonable.

HOpe you find what you are looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom