New Here from Singapore! Getting Certified in Thailand - Where to Go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Scubadudee. I know the Asia Diving Expo (ADEX) is coming soon, however my leave cannot be delayed, lest my employer find it tempting to postpone them forever. :p So, no matter how irresistible the offers at ADEX might be, I have to go. Besides, I wanna catch Songkran in progress and that cannot wait. Just don't tell me how cheap the discounted diving packages get, I know I'm likely to bang my head against the tank. Sigh. Still, I know I will enjoy all the diving, so I know it's worth it. Thanks for the info!

Hiya pinklizard! You really do love pink huh? What a collection of pink gears you have! :)

More questions here scubaboard members!
1. What other things do I have to pay for, besides the course fees?
2. I heard that it's compulsory to get the Padi manuals for the course. Anyone knows what's the latest editions for both the OW & AOW manuals? And the rough price guide please? Do I have to buy from the diving school themselves or can I buy it off the local diving shop first (don't wanna offend anyone)?
3. What other stuff will the diving schools try to sell you?

Thanks for all your answers and help so far. Greatly appreciated. Don't mind my questions! :)

The prices are pretty much as stated in their respective websites. West Coast Divers in Patong for example will do OW+AOW for 10.5k and 8.5k respectively with the certification+textbook fees at 2k per c-card for a total of Bh 23k (i.e. approx S$1000). At that price, its comparable to what u would pay in Singapore except it is said that the diving in Phuket is better than Aur. Plus, none of that long coach/boat rides.

The certification fee usually includes brand new copies of the textbook with dive tables and the shops will give you the books when you book the course for you to study before the first day. Yes it means HOMEWORK!!! But there is something to be said about reading up while getting your tan lazing on the beach.

The course fees would usually include full set of dive gear (ie shortie, fins/mask/snorkel, BCD, reg) and 2 meals onboard the boat. Only thing you may consider is tip for the crew, I usually drop in a couple for the decent boat boys who help me off the boat.

When you are certified, you may want a proper folder for your log book. That's about it for costs. Don't get your gear until after you finished the course.. :)

About ADEX, any idea if there will be deals on equipment and stuff there? Am looking for a new regulator and wondering if I should hold out till ADEX for discounts.

Traminer:
About ADEX, any idea if there will be deals on equipment and stuff there? Am looking for a new regulator and wondering if I should hold out till ADEX for discounts.

Fill up this survery and you will get free entry to ADEX.
http://www.ssci.com.sg/dive/survey.asp
:D

gnojoey:
Hiya pinklizard! You really do love pink huh? What a collection of pink gears you have! :)

2. I heard that it's compulsory to get the Padi manuals for the course. Anyone knows what's the latest editions for both the OW & AOW manuals? And the rough price guide please? Do I have to buy from the diving school themselves or can I buy it off the local diving shop first (don't wanna offend anyone)?

Thanks for all your answers and help so far. Greatly appreciated. Don't mind my questions! :)

Some schools may force you to buy the basics from them or may bundle them with the course. Basics = Mask/Fins/Snorkel

Hi to Ringo and Pilot81! And thanks for the info as usual Traminer.
There should be good deals at the ADEX, but I won't be here by then. Should be somewhere in Phuket enjoying my dive when it happens. :)
Thanks for answering my questions everyone. I hope my questions didn't offend anyone working for the dive schools/centers, just trying to arm myself with as much information as possible. So if I didn't phrase myself quite properly, I apologise for it.
Thank you all and keep all the info coming in!

Traminer:

I know I definitely am. Was at ADEX the last time it was in S'pore and stuff were going for a steal e.g. equipment, trips, courses. I'm sure you'll be able to get a good deal for what you're looking for! :wink:

gnojoey:

I am doubtful that the courses definitely require you to purchase the manuals. In fact, you may book the accomodation online (if you go in pairs) saving on the unnecessary costs in the twin sharing via tour agency.

Next, I actually suggest you can even consider walk-in to bargain on the spot. But take it as your last resort. Usually, when you take up the open water, it costs alittle more and if you include the Advance then I should say your quoted sum of round SGD 1000 inclusive of the manuals are still alittle high.

Not all dive centres will recommend you to buy and buy. Suggest you walk into shops in Singapore concourse or lucky plaza and also browse the shope in Phuket before committing to any purchases.

In phuket, all courses include the full set of gears. In fact, Phuket dive does not necessary require you to wear wetsuits. But if you really wish to , drop by concourse as one of the shops there is having a clearance sale of SGD99 for a simple wetsuit that is a pretty average set.

As for fins, mask, snorkel check out after you are back from Phuket in Adex.

I generally think you have been quoted alittle too much. It should fall between not more than 15 to 17k baht in total of the courses inclusive of everything except manual is not guaranteed in the free list.

Check around with friends on PADI Open water manual or SSI openwater manual. The edition will not differ by to much. I do have a SSI open water manual to borrow if you wish to but most operators in Phuket goes through Padi.

Feel free to ask as many questions.

Happy diving

I have an PADI OW manual if you want, but the knowledge review have been ripped out by a very lazy diver who didnt want to go and photocopy the pages, namely me.

I agree with what the rest said about gears.I regretted the computer that i am using now.
Safe diving &peace out.
Darren.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom