New Here from Singapore! Getting Certified in Thailand - Where to Go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phi Phi has got some accomodation that offers around just less than 700Bhat including breakfast. It is not of any ratings. A simple room and shower with aircon. We stayed there for one night before; bearable though. It is about 5 min walk to the dive centres. You can walk in for the course. Actually a good choice to take your course there cos they actually let you choose your advance; opt for deep, drfit, night, multilevel and navigation. The deep and drift will allow you likely to go to Bida Noi for good wall dives.

As for openwater, not much choices. Checkout with them on the e-mail if you can do e-learning instead cos from what I know, they are promoting this as well but not sure if you still need to buy the manual.

Still borrow a current or past manual to go through first so that you will not waste too much time concentrating on the books as well. Look into the dive planning and safety aspects and fundamentals. Attempt the review questions.

Cut short some of your study time as the last trip when I was there, spend almost everynight into studying my advance manual and I did missed some day trekking with my friends.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip Scubadudee. It's like exam time all over again huh? :)
Which guesthouse did you stay with? I'm easy with accommodation, just a clean room with fan and shower will do fine for me. I actually love staying at bamboo/wooden hut with cold shower and fan, it is a cosy change from the concrete jungle we are so used to. And all I need, is to put up a hammock, with a book in my hand and I'm in heaven...

Scubadudee any suggestions on accomodations there in PhiPhi? Or should we just follow one of the touts when we get off the ferry? Am heading there myself for May day weekend. Was there previously but I suspect the little bungalow I paid Bh 500 is now swept under Ton Sai Bay.. :(

I can recommend Phi Phi Viewpoint resort if you're looking for good quality basic accomm at a reasonable price.

Hi Nitronarc. How's the price like for the place mentioned? :)

I was paying 400 baht per night for a room with a fan, double bed and basic shower. however this was last June when Phi Phi was still recovering from the Tsunami and therefore prices were low. However you would be there in low season, so should not be paying a great deal more. The view is incredible from the bungalows at Phi Phi viewpoint resort, and the staff are great too. Downside is it's a bit of a walk, but we're still only talking 5-10 mins or so to the dive boats in the morning. Worth it to wake up to that sort of view!

You will probably get plenty of different offers when you step off the boat, and you can always have a look at some places to see if you like them before committing.

Damn I wish I was back there now!

:wink:
Thanks for the tip, Nitronarc! Unfortunately, it's still considered high season when I get there. Low season will be from 20th April or 1st May onwards for most. Well, I can always strike up a bargain with them if I'm staying for longer than a few. And I don't mind a little walk here and there.
Can't wait for the break to come, and I do wish I am there right now too! Getaways are always great. Away from the hustle and bustle of city life and leave the worries of the world behind us.

:wink:
Thanks for the tip, Nitronarc! Unfortunately, it's still considered high season when I get there. Low season will be from 20th April or 1st May onwards for most. Well, I can always strike up a bargain with them if I'm staying for longer than a few. And I don't mind a little walk here and there.
Can't wait for the break to come, and I do wish I am there right now too! Getaways are always great. Away from the hustle and bustle of city life and leave the worries of the world behind us.

Traminer:
Scubadudee any suggestions on accomodations there in PhiPhi? Or should we just follow one of the touts when we get off the ferry? Am heading there myself for May day weekend. Was there previously but I suspect the little bungalow I paid Bh 500 is now swept under Ton Sai Bay.. :(

You are right. The cheaper ones (unless you wanted even cheaper are further away from the jetty. Along the right of the jetty there are a whole row of dive centres. Walk straight, past the dive centres, along the gentle slope of one pub up on your left and followed by some low shop houses with a resturant on your right (not sure if all are still around now cos that was 3 years back. Keep going until you see a grassy patch; you are not far from there, another 50m you will see the guest houses. Alittle far out for a single lady though. But I suppose the muslims there should be ok.

I cannot recall the name of this two cheaper accomodation but you can try though. Another average one is between the divecentres and the pub on your left along the path. They charge I think about 1000 to 1400 Bht think include breakfast as well. Check online; sometimes they got good deals. What we did was walk-in to enquire and tried our luck.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom