New Here from Singapore! Getting Certified in Thailand - Where to Go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, supposingly I want to do a little sunbathing naked or maybe half-naked without offending the locals, by any chance, are there any nice, secluded spots to do it (Phuket or Phi Phi)? :wink:

I just found out today when i went to book my Timor/Bali/Singapore flight(on my way back to LA) it was sold out? I need to come into Singapore a day early. I will have 2 nights and one tourist day. What is there to do? Suggestions. Which hotel is in a better location The Conrad Hilton or the Hiltion on Orchard Rd.

Any info is appreciated.

Most of the places in Singapore has become very much modernised and touristy. But having said that, there are still a few places left to visit. I have a good link for you to check out - http://www.visitsingapore.com/publis.../en/index.html
Both of the hotels are equally good, and that depends which do you rather prefer. Conrad is near the Marina Bay, slightly away from the crowds (quieter compared to Hilton), which is much better for you cos there is a few museums/cultural halls you can visit there. Hilton is in the heart of the shopping district, crowded but a relatively nice area to stay in if you like shopping.
And like I said most places in Singapore are meant for tourist, so you will definitely need to pay to get into some of them. But some architectural of the old still stays, you can visit Chinatown, Little India, Clarke Quay, Boat Quay to have a feel.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Hi,

just browsed around. Hmm...visiting during songkran should have not much effect towards PhiPhi stay as the island are mostly muslim community.

As for the accomodation. Suggest to check with the Phuket or PhiPhi tourism website to see if all the accomodations are in operation prior to going there.

Hey lady, Partying with (near to or over) 10,000 very drunk people in Had Rin, Koh Phangan is hardly my idea of fun. Plus, I ain't too much of a drinker, will hardly last through the 7th Singha (if you are talking about drinking in one sitting that is). And by some miraculous chance I do have my 7th Singha (which I really doubt so). Wow..you can drink...by CAN or Bottle ? :)

Well, remember Drink no Dive ... cos it does affect your stamina as well as the nitrogen level inside.

dm_junkie:
Hi,

just browsed around. Hmm...visiting during songkran should have not much effect towards PhiPhi stay as the island are mostly muslim community.

As for the accomodation. Suggest to check with the Phuket or PhiPhi tourism website to see if all the accomodations are in operation prior to going there.

Hey lady, Partying with (near to or over) 10,000 very drunk people in Had Rin, Koh Phangan is hardly my idea of fun. Plus, I ain't too much of a drinker, will hardly last through the 7th Singha (if you are talking about drinking in one sitting that is). And by some miraculous chance I do have my 7th Singha (which I really doubt so). Wow..you can drink...by CAN or Bottle ? :)

Well, remember Drink no Dive ... cos it does affect your stamina as well as the nitrogen level inside.

Hahaha... Thanks for the tip, dm_junkie. I ain't too much of a drinker at all, that's why I said if I ever had my 7th Singha, it wil be "by some miraculous chance"... I would be lucky if I ain't throwing up by my 3rd or 4th. So, no worries about me mixing drinking and diving. I think that's hardly going to happen, I rather achieve my highs through other means. And NO, I'm NOT talking about drugs either (yes, I'm a boring geek). :wink:
One more week before I hit Thailand! Can't wait!

Woo hoo! My countdown to Singapore is a little more than a week away as well! Diving the historical Force Z Battleships Prince of Wales & Repulse on the liveaboard M/V Empress; spending a few days afterward at the Orchard Parade Hotel (right across from the Orchard Towers:D ); then heading up to Phuket and the M/V Mermaid II cruising the Similans/Richelieu Rock, and then back down south to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang; and lastly, perhaps a side trip to Bali if the Travel Budget allows before reluctantly heading back to Los Angeles (and cold 16 deg C rainy weather) . . .Thanks for the good tips!

Yo gnojoey, sleaze in Phuket's in Patong, but somehow, i like staying there, usually stay on a few days after a dive trip. You see all the strange, and wonderfully weird things going on, if you're not the type to get affected by all that carrying-on.

Another one for the Empress trip, have a good time Kevrumbo, you have a great dive itinerary..geez!

pinklizard:
Yo gnojoey, sleaze in Phuket's in Patong, but somehow, i like staying there, usually stay on a few days after a dive trip. You see all the strange, and wonderfully weird things going on, if you're not the type to get affected by all that carrying-on.

Another one for the Empress trip, have a good time Kevrumbo, you have a great dive itinerary..geez!

:)
Hi pinklizard! To be frank, I'm quite okay with that type of scene. They are of lives' funny and sad. Oh-so-very-human. Now that I have decided on the Andaman, it's a tugging choice between Phuket and Phi Phi for my OW and AOW.
I have heard so much from the guys, what about you pinklizard? Would really love to hear from you regarding your experience getting your OW and AOW, and where would you go for to do your OW & AOW (given the choice to do it all over again)? And if private coaching is more worth it to do than group coaching? Would really love to hear more from the ladies!

pinklizard:

I'll be staying in sleazy Patong a few days after the liveaboard trip --how much more strange and weird can it be than Los Angeles/Venice Beach? Can't think of a better way to reacclimate to urban life after being on boat for a week . . .:wink:

Gnojoey take your Basic OW in Thailand, rent your gear for now, and get as many dives & practice as you can --have a great time! Then I recommend skipping AOW, go back home and take a GUE DIR Fundamentals Course instead with Gideon Liew:
http://www.livingseas.com.sg/home1.html

Gnjoey, sent you a PM since I named a couple of ops and don't want to sound commercial.

I beg to differ on the OW and AOW. The depth limit of 18m on the OW will limit some of the dive sites you visit in Phuket, and the option to night dive, which is a truly different diving experience (we're talking leisure diving here), is definitely worth doing the AOW soon after the OW. I'd go OW/AOW, couple of dives, then DIRF. But that's just me.

Have fun in Patong, its a barrel of laughs if you find the right company. And if you don't, make sure you double bag :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom