New Here from Singapore! Getting Certified in Thailand - Where to Go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:) Thanks for the info, Scubadudee. So you haven't been back to Phi Phi after the Tsunami? I heard the prices for the accommodation went up slightly after it, hopefully not by too much though. It does help to check online for a rough guide, but unfortunately most of the good ones can't be found on the net. I'm staring at the computer so much for the last few weeks, I feel I could almost taste the tangy air of the island on my lips. Looking forward to it so much. It's been almost two years since I last went to Thailand. Really missed it.

"I do like Phi Phi, just wondering if it will get difficult to get accommodation during Songkran. And not like I can afford the more expensive resorts. :p
How's the crowd when you were last at Phi Phi? Has the travellers come flocking back? Crowded?"

Well let's start from the top. Acoommodations, I left begining of February and they were still a bit tough to get at the time though this is the end of high season now. I wouldn't worry about Songkran having that big of an effect on phi phi though if you are worried about arriving and finding no accomodations i'd suggest going to phi phi the day koh pangnag (sp?) throws their full moon party (phi phi empties noticibly durring the days surroounding the full moon). phi phi is probably the most expensive island, that said i was paying about USD 7.50 (300baht) a night while i was there.

The crowds have deffinetly returned though the town is half the size as before the tsunami. if you were there pretsunami then imagine that everything to the west (left) of the pier is gone, whereas the pier used to be in the center of town, now its on the edge of town. that said you will not have any problems finding fun things to do on the island. we joke that phi phi is does/give people there three things 1. love of diving, 2. foot injuries (everyone running around barefoot) 3. alcoholism (parties every night).

something about the accomodations: I've stayed at a few places on phi phi between april 05 - feb. 06. 1st off, the "touts" at the pier are quoting you the same price you'd pay if you went to the guest house, though if you're planing on stayin for over a week you should inquire about weekly rates, almost everyone offers monthly rates. if you do go with the guys at the pier make sure that the place they're offering you is in tonsai (town) and not on longbeach, though longbeach is nice its also quiter. a great thing to do when you arrive is drop off your bags at one of the dive shops (you wont be committed to dive with them, theydo this so you'll have a good impression of them when you look for a shop). My suggestion is to go towards viewpoint (not the resort but the hill) and look into the places there - they're typically cheaper (fan, cold shower). you have harmony house, us guest house, tropical gardens - bamboo huts and pool, uphill cotages - where i lived and phi phi dream - cheap but not great.

also at the edge of the resivoir you have 5 possibilities: rimna villa which are rickity bungalos but should be well priced as well as "the rock" which are dorm accomodations - look for the big boat in the hillside (constructed, not tsunami related :wink:. you have amena, which has nice rooms though they have two different sizes and charge the same for both also you have la casita which is a bit more expensive but they also have a frig and tele, valentines is at the same corner and are quite nice as well.

of those i've stayed at uphill, tropical gardens, us guest house, amena and valentines so if someone at the piers offering you one of those go for it, you can always say no thanks and grab something near by.

Thanks for the info and the links Scuba619!
Guess I will walk around abit when I land there, sounds like it shouldn't be much of a problem getting accommodation in Phi Phi. And it's a damn good suggestion stopping at Phi Phi during the full moon party, cos most of the travellers will flock to Koh Phangan then. :)

Waow.. thanks Scuba619... fantastic tips!

Gnojoey u owe it to yourself and to the government sponsoring your diving activities (Progress Bonus/Workfare bonus?) to fully enjoy yourself during the Songkran period. Why not go to that Full Moon Party!!! Remember to thank the gahmen when you enjoy that 7th Singha while watching the sunset in Tonsai.. :)

Thanks for the suggestion Traminer. For first all, my vacation is hardly a bonus sponsored thing and whatever I earned is no thanks to the government. But still, I admit it's sweet getting that extra bonus from the government. Cheers! :)
Partying with (near to or over) 10,000 very drunk people in Had Rin, Koh Phangan is hardly my idea of fun. Plus, I ain't too much of a drinker, will hardly last through the 7th Singha (if you are talking about drinking in one sitting that is). And by some miraculous chance I do have my 7th Singha (which I really doubt so), I will be more like cursing than thanking anybody at all. :wink:

Okay, so now it's confirmed that I would visit both Phuket and Phi Phi. What else is fun to do or nice to visit during my free time from diving? Any good suggestions and recommendations? What do you divers do during your free time besides diving? Is Phuket as sleazy as some make out to be? Thanks. :)

well let's see, in phi phi you have rock climbing that is fun, as well as trips out to maya bay (known from the movie "The Beach") Adventure Club has a cool trip called the 007 adventure or something like that as well as early morning shark sighting snorkel trips and there's a sunset booz cruise that i hear is fun though i've never been on it. unfortunatly phi phi doesn't have the best beaches in the world though long beach is nice and the area in front of hippies bar is popular with sunbathers as well as the area around sunflower bar. the two biggest things to do on phi phi are to dive and drink/party there used to be volunteer work for tsunami clean up but that fizzled out in august.

on the phuket part, i believe that the "sleazy" part (and it IS everything you've heard AND more) is mostly in patong though the only times i've been to phuket was on visa runs, shoping and to see movies. its amazing how big of a deal watching a movie in a movie theatre can be after living on an island for 9 months. in phi phi they have nightly staged thai boxing matches, i believe you can catch the real thing in phuket. if you're feeling a need for home you can always run to the mall Central Festival or wander around tesco lotus.

Thanks Scuba619! Sounds like fun. Hmmm...
Been wanting to watch a Thai boxing match for awhile now, never did get down to do it. Hopefully, will get to watch it this time round. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom