Open letter to boat dive masters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With all seriousness, may I suggest some sort of civilized discourse with the divemaster/captain/deck crew?

It doesn't happen very often but now and then a newly minted DM or instructor functioning as DM would make some comments about my rigs and getting ready to lecture me, I'd simply ask them to stop and that I am not paying them to be my instructor. That's it. No need to raise voices or get on high horses.

There are times when DMs asked me if I have forgotten my weight belt (I dive a balanced rig). I simply told them that is my configuration and they'd nod their heads.

I suppose it's because SoCal diving mentality is different from a typical summer vacation dive spot. I've never done a tropical dive vacation before so I don't know how I'd be treated by the DM/charter, but I'm sure that some frank but cordial dialogues would assuage many a butt hurts by both sides.

Life is too short to get all angsted up over little things.

DM ...... carry my tanks, set up my kit, touch and fiddle all you like, swap out my tanks, rinse my gear.
I'm going to check it before I put it on no matter who put it together and I have no problem turning on my air in the water.

Simply communicate better and set the right expectation.

With all seriousness, may I suggest some sort of civilized discourse with the divemaster/captain/deck crew?

It doesn't happen very often but now and then a newly minted DM or instructor functioning as DM would make some comments about my rigs and getting ready to lecture me, I'd simply ask them to stop and that I am not paying them to be my instructor...

In that vein, perhaps I should reconsider my strategy of telling them “I don’t take advice from common nitrogen-breathing newbies so put a sock in it”? Maybe pointing out that they have less time underwater than I have in decompression would be more tactful? :wink:

Seriously, the vast majority of DMs and crew are more interested in helping than trying to demonstrate some illusion of superiority. There are a few extreme exceptions that require blunt conversation. However, a reasoned explanation of the logic behind your selections almost always satisfies any reservations they may have for your safety and competence. Sometimes both of us learn something.

---------- Post added December 30th, 2012 at 08:45 AM ----------

DM ...... carry my tanks, set up my kit, touch and fiddle all you like, swap out my tanks, rinse my gear...

You have to be a commercial diver for that, or own the yacht. We call them tenders, but they are a little more pricy than DMs and know to serve the diver rather than question them.

Crew/DM do what they do out of love not hate. Keep that in mind and react accordingly.

Seriously, the vast majority of DMs and crew are more interested in helping than in trying to demonstrate [snip] superiority. [snip] Sometimes both of us learn something.

Crew/DM do what they do out of love not hate. Keep that in mind and react accordingly.

Both sentiments jibe with my memories from boat dives off six continents and a whole slew of islands. But then, my memory isn't what it used to be.

Just before hitting 1,000 logged dives I did a boat's long drop step-in with my old back-zip drysuit . . . still unzipped. It was actually funny to me, but also a wake-up call. I had allowed the gear-up and dive planning of my team members (recent students) to distract me to that extent, and after three days on this liveaboard the crew thought they had learned who needed supervision and who didn't. We were both wrong.

Bryan

PS. A first time for everything . . .

Reactions: Jax
I am going to relate a true story that may seem totally off topic but should illustrate the concern professionals have about doing their assigned tasks and issues of liability.

In 2003, the Australian dive operator Mike Ball had a policy requiring all divers to do a checkout dive with them before they could do their regular dives. One of their customers, with his wife on their honeymoon, told them they did not need to do a check out dive because he was certified at the Rescue Diver level and could take care of both himself and his new OW wife. The operator took him at his word and let them skip that dive. (Please note that the requirement for the check out dive was solely theirs--there was no law or other rule outside of their own operation requiring it.)

So the diver and his wife, Gabe and Tina Watson, went into the water on a fairly challenging dive, and Tina did not come back alive. Subsequent analysis showed that despite his certification, he was a barely competent diver, and she was pretty much incompetent.

Because they had not followed their own policy and had accepted the word of a certified diver that he was OK, Mike Ball was made to pay a huge fine. I assure you they will not make that mistake again.

I am going to relate a true story that may seem totally off topic but should illustrate the concern professionals have about doing their assigned tasks and issues of liability.

In 2003, the Australian dive operator Mike Ball had a policy requiring all divers to do a checkout dive with them before they could do their regular dives. One of their customers, with his wife on their honeymoon, told them they did not need to do a check out dive because he was certified at the Rescue Diver level and could take care of both himself and his new OW wife. The operator took him at his word and let them skip that dive. (Please note that the requirement for the check out dive was solely theirs--there was no law or other rule outside of their own operation requiring it.)

So the diver and his wife, Gabe and Tina Watson, went into the water on a fairly challenging dive, and Tina did not come back alive. Subsequent analysis showed that despite his certification, he was a barely competent diver, and she was pretty much incompetent.

Because they had not followed their own policy and had accepted the word of a certified diver that he was OK, Mike Ball was made to pay a huge fine. I assure you they will not make that mistake again.

And the lesson to be learned is:

1. Dive ops should avoid establishing excessive, unfounded requirements.

2. If they ignore item #1, then they should implement those requirements even when they do not make good sense.

3. ++++

if they feel that they need to verify my proficiency beyond what my c-cards demonstrate i would have no problem with that as long a they were covering the costs of that dive and that if i felt that the examiner who was doing the evaluation was not qualified i could request another examiner or receive a full refund for my charter. My issue is not if the DM wants to do a predive check but what happens if i do not feel that the DM is qualified to do predive check adjustment to my gear. Many times we do not have an opportunity to evaluate before we pay.

and final question is if I feel that the service or performance of that DM is subpar am i obligated to tip him

that is how this all started. I had what was a uninformed DM who refused to back off so I submitted then rechecked myself again and felt that I was not going to tip him. Rather than instigate a confrontation on the boat I said my peace online here and now we have 10 pages of confrontation and opinion.

I assume you made a point to tell them why you did not tip? It would be the prudent thing to communicate this. I am starting to think that you are trying to justify your actions in a public forum because deep down it is possible that you feel a bit guilty for making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom