Question for the she-p users...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would definitely want the valve where I could reach it. If you have a disconnect (or forget to hook up -- and I have certainly had both) you really want to be able to close the valve cover, because the flapper inside can and does periodically allow backwash.

But I carry my bottles on the left, and have no problem reaching the valve, which is on my left inner thigh, just above the knee.

mine is on the left, but any others will be on the right.

turning the nut makes my computer go crazy while on deco - it thinks i'm toxing. ugh.

hmm...then again, now i have two pretty big computers & i think i'll be running one on each arm, so it might be moot in the soon.

I've had one on my left and also right leg in my old suit. No real difference but my new suit has the bolt inside the leg rather than on the front (was installed wrong on other suit by drysuit repairer) and this is MUCH better. Old one used it catch on things.

wow. I have a question and it is rather embarrasing to ask...

I have been toying around with the idea of investing in a she-p for sometime now. Normally, I strip out of my drysuit between shore dives for comfort (it has been really hot here this summer).

I can't tell explicitly from the conversation, but if you are wearing a p-valve, do you stay all day in your drysuit with the valve connected? Does disassembling the valve from your DS put you at risk for greater leakage throughout the day?

And, for heaven's sake, how uncomfortable is this thing to wear all day?

no, you can disconnect from the suit & put on a little cap. you don't even look too much like you're 'packing'. disconnecting & reconnecting doesn't up your leak potential much at all.

if you get the air amount right, it's not uncomfy at all. not enough can be pinchy, and too much can feel weird. give it a try!

Thanks for the feedback about your leg choices! I can't wait to tell you how it goes :) I plan on experimenting with application and long-term wear around the house and such, until my suit is done.

Yes, you can get a clever little cap (and mine has a blue rhinestone on the top of it!) that prevents leaks while you are "disconnected". The trick is to compress the device a little bit with your other hand before you put the cap on, so that when you sit down, you aren't suddenly pressurizing the reservoir.

I often use mine for diving, and then change into street clothes and go out to eat without removing the device. It's not a big deal at all.

Just remember to NOT use the sealing cap WHILST diving...

Reading through the posts, i kind of think that 12hrs+ in the device _not_ underwater (AKA, driving, climbing, hiking, etc..) is a bit optimistic with regards to not need to do what lynne says and dry/restick at some point in time. I find that the thong underwear and boyshorts help dramatically for many women, as does the grab and pee technique. Its not the in water time that loosens it up (at least for me), its the hiking, sitting on it in the car sweating, etc... I've done 8-10hr in water days with no leaks... I've done a drive to the dive site on a 90 degree day and needed to peel, blot dry, and restick before the dive.

and just to be safe, i use a poise pad :wink:

How many women are using poise pads during their learning curve?

Even if it comes a bit loose, if you press it/grab and pee, you can still get 90-95% or more of the urine out the pee valve.

I know of one lady who uses no tape or adhesive, just thongs and tight boyshorts, she just grabs and pees when it's time... Not something I'd recommend, but I guess if you gotta pee and you are allergic to everything, you do what you can...

The reason we actually went to using the QD is so that we can click in and out easily... back in the day, when we had to tug and twist and press the barbed fitting into the she-p itself, before the QD and extension, connecting/disconnecting was indeed a concern for increasing potential for leaks...

Back
Top Bottom