Questions about BP/W Comfort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been kicking around the idea of getting a BP/W setup as my first BCD and I wanted to have it in time for when I go to Australia.
To give you some history on my diving experience, currently I dive in the cooler temp waters so I have always worn either a wetsuit or a drysuit. I have used both jacket style and rear inflation BCD's but never a BP/W.

My question is regarding the comfort of a BP/W when no exposure suit is worn. Is this very common? I have read that if your not going to wear exposure protection than the freedom plate is the one to get. I don't recall seeing many if any pictures of people using a BP/W setup in warm temp waters while not wearing a suit. My concern is with what is between the plate and my skin. On non-Hogarthian setups there is often a piece of soft or fuzzy fabric that would rest up against the skin to provide some sort of cushion and aberration protection but I just don't see that with a proper Hog setup. I would be worried that this would be uncomfortable when I get to the warmer weathers and loose some layers :-D

What are your experiences?
Thanks!

I use Halcyon's BP/Wing and have dived with just a T-shirt at times without any issues. I have not used the Freedom Plate but would have a hard time believing that it is a better selection than a 2lb AL plate....

Last edited:
I have no personal experience with the Freedom plate. People seem to like it for both cold and warm water diving.

I use an OMS AL BP for warm water diving. It works great. It performs just as well as any other AL BP, I imagine. I've used it with and without the Halcyon backpad. I wear a 3mm full-length wetsuit and did not detect any difference +/- the backpad. If you are wearing less exposure protection, I suppose you could get some abrasions from the harness webbing and/or the backplate. If this happens, you could wear a T-shirt or a lycra skin. Not that big of a deal IMO.

If you really wanted to, you could cover your BP in some softer material or put soft pads on the harness shoulder straps. Probably not necessary, though.

I've had my DSS plate in the pool with no top of any kind on. Once underwater you don't even notice it. The webbing softens up and the plate is soon the temperature of the water. Still I would never go into the water without some type of exposure protection, even if it was just a skin. To many things like jellies, coral, etc to go without. And a skin takes up very little room in bag.

My question is regarding the comfort of a BP/W when no exposure suit is worn. Is this very common?

I've probably got 100+ warm water dives with a BPW setup and no exposure suit. I typically just wear one of the the snug fitting UnderArmour type t-shirts and a pair of swim trunks. I have no issues diving like this at all.

I've worn my BP wing with no shirt or exposure protection whatsoever. No problems.

I am a big fan of the Freedom Plate if you need the weight. However, for flying to tropical sites and diving without a buoyant suit I suggest considering the OxyCheq Ultra Lite Back Plate and tank bands with plastic buckles. I use one on a very negatively buoyant set of compact doubles in cold water.

Wings-BackPlates

It is not as stable as a Freedom Plate and a little less than a plastic blow-molded old-school back pack. However it is very light and compact for transport and does not add weight that would otherwise require additional air in the wing. OxyCheq also makes an 18 Lb wing if you want a system dedicated for warm water and air travel.

Wings-Single

You probably want some abrasion protection from the gear and the environment regardless. Skin gets very soft in warm salt water and don’t underestimate sun burn if you snorkel. Have a great trip.

I've dived my BP/W in tropical waters quite comfortably with no special considerations (and with bare skin). This, however, was with a single tank and conventional 2" webbing and cam strap to hold the tank. If I were diving doubles or a single-tank adapter, I imagine that those wing nuts over my spine might be a bit uncomfortable.

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a BP/W setup as my first BCD and I wanted to have it in time for when I go to Australia.
To give you some history on my diving experience, currently I dive in the cooler temp waters so I have always worn either a wetsuit or a drysuit. I have used both jacket style and rear inflation BCD's but never a BP/W.

My question is regarding the comfort of a BP/W when no exposure suit is worn. Is this very common? I have read that if your not going to wear exposure protection than the freedom plate is the one to get. I don't recall seeing many if any pictures of people using a BP/W setup in warm temp waters while not wearing a suit. My concern is with what is between the plate and my skin. On non-Hogarthian setups there is often a piece of soft or fuzzy fabric that would rest up against the skin to provide some sort of cushion and aberration protection but I just don't see that with a proper Hog setup. I would be worried that this would be uncomfortable when I get to the warmer weathers and loose some layers :-D

What are your experiences?
Thanks!

I would consider always wearing @ least skins(for skin protection on a reef etc)...Have used my DR al BP/W on occasion like that ie with no wetsuit.....

I've been diving a Freedom plate for a few years now and still love it. My old Halcyon plate has been collecting dust since 2005. The freedom plate hugs your waist and is curved to match your spine. It would be comfortable in any or no exposure suit.

Back
Top Bottom