The future of this forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321:
However when a Tech1 diver is comparatively "advanced" you'll find that the highest level questions getting asked are DIRF level. And since those have already been asked and answered ad naseum, it gets boring. So people drift away to social networks which are more supportive.

That certainly occurred prior to the creation of the DIR forum, and as you say, seems to continue to be true now. Must not be so much a factor of signal-to-noise ratio anymore as it is constant questions "asked and answered".

wb416:
That certainly occurred prior to the creation of the DIR forum, and as you say, seems to continue to be true now. Must not be so much a factor of signal-to-noise ratio anymore as it is constant questions "asked and answered".

There are only so many DIRF level questions to ask (somewhere around 40-50 unique issues max IMO). To me it feels like most have them have been asked and answered about once every 4-8 months.

1 post for the question
4 pages of non-DIR answers by the merely internet DIR educated
6 pages of corrections by people who are at least on the right track
2 pages of trolls
4 more pages of retorts

= one exhausted community.

maybe those 50 basic issues should be summarized and made sticky as a 'quick FAQ before you post..'

rjack321:
There are only so many DIRF level questions to ask (somewhere around 40-50 unique issues max IMO). To me it feels like most have them have been asked and answered about once every 4-8 months.

1 post for the question
4 pages of non-DIR answers by the merely internet DIR educated
6 pages of corrections by people who are at least on the right track
2 pages of trolls
4 more pages of retorts

= one exhausted community.

In fairness, anyone new to DIR wants to learn by discussing it, not having to read FAQ's. They want the same opportunity that others before them had. Hopefully folks will step up to the plate to help answer questions in a useful fashion.

Like others, years ago I eagerly answered questions for a period, and then succumbed to "burnout". Now I just want to have fun diving! :D

Hopefully, there's a fresh supply of divers willing to answer questions for the next generation of people asking questions.

Well, we've put a red notice at the top of each page, and on the main DIR Forum page. Take a look...

Do you have to be using a certain skin?

JeffG:
Do you have to be using a certain skin?
Hummm...I'm using Default. Can you NOT see it?

Rick Inman:

I see it, oops, was not supposed to answer :)

Rick Inman:
I use the "Classic" and I don't see any difference.

JeffG:
I use the "Classic" and I don't see any difference.

Same here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom