The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
Regardless, the DS hose doesn't remain attached to the CC bag. It is a smooth "connection" and pops right off. This is another example of a piece of a system being criticized without understanding how it works.

I didn't criticize it. I only said it isn't needed. I can only see one in GI3's pocket (http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/right_pocket_contents2_r.jpeg), so I can only assume he only takes one. Since I think we can all agree George is a DIR diver, we can probably assume it's DIR to carry one. (and if it isn't DIR, why does George have one and why is someone using one in an instructional movie on the 5th D website?)

So, If it was a critical piece of equipment, you would need two in case one fails. Why only take one?

Because it's not needed.

(you may be right on the fin downward thing though.. gotta think about that one more)

NWGratefulDiver:
Yes, I know ... I was using a Halcyon SMB at the time (Laurynn's or Uncle Pug's, I believe). Nice bag ... but I prefer my Oxycheq semi-closed.

The comment wasn't directed at you, Bob. :D

FWIW - I've used it in 41 degree water without any free-flow issues.

You have to admit, though, that the possibility is very real depending on the quality and tuning of your regs. I have also never had freezing issues with my SP Mk25/S600, even down to 36 degree water, but plenty of others have, thus I'm always mindful of that when I use them.

TX101:
I didn't criticize it. I only said it isn't needed. I can only see one in GI3's pocket (http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/right_pocket_contents2_r.jpeg), so I can only assume he only takes one. Since I think we can all agree George is a DIR diver, we can probably assume it's DIR to carry one. (and if it isn't DIR, why does George have one and why is someone using one in an instructional movie on the 5th D website?)

To the best of my knowledge, GI3 has no involvement in GUE.

I've never seen a piece of equipment like that (the thing on the right??)

It's not being used in the instructional video. The guy (I believe it's Andrew G) is removing his drysuit hose and connecting it to the inflator stem on the liftbag, just as I and every other GUE Student were taught to do.

So, If it was a critical piece of equipment, you would need two in case one fails. Why only take one?

Are we still talking about the thingamajig in GI3's pocket? Who knows what he uses that for. I certainly doubt it's a critical piece of equipment. And if it is, he doesn't need 2....his buddy would carry a second one. He's primarily a cave diver anyhow, who probably doesn't have much need for a liftbag. It could have some other purpose.

Ok, what is that thing? It's definitely got teflon tape on it and a few connectors, but hard to see from the angle and size of the pic..

Looks almost like a homemade airgun or OC liftbag inflation device.. *shrug*

What "thing" are you asking about. The "thing" on the left is an adapter for turning a second-stage LP hose into an inflator LP hose. The "thing" on the right is a spare light bulb with wet connector.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
What "thing" are you asking about. The "thing" on the left is an adapter for turning a second-stage LP hose into an inflator LP hose. The "thing" on the right is a spare light bulb with wet connector.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
A-ha.. ok. So it's an adapter to turn a second stage LP hose into an inflator hose then (the thing on the left). I knew what the thing on the right was.

O-ring:
A-ha.. ok. So it's an adapter to turn a second stage LP hose into an inflator hose then (the thing on the left). I knew what the thing on the right was.

Underwater? Damned if I know. I do have one in my save-a-dive kit ... so that if I need to change out an LP hose I have options.

I would assume he carries one for pretty much the same reason.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Yes, I know ... I was using a Halcyon SMB at the time (Laurynn's or Uncle Pug's, I believe). Nice bag ... but I prefer my Oxycheq semi-closed.

FWIW - I've used it in 41 degree water without any free-flow issues.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've got some Halcyon semi-closed bags and love em. Do they even still make them? I don't see them on the web site anymore.

i've done it both ways...inflating with the primary and by exhaling into the bag. I still prefer to exhale into the bag. I feel like I have more control and hiting the purge button in cold water just goes against my nature. Even though you're not purging mych air or doing it all that fast.

I was never really interested in the closed circuit bags and haven't trid one but it would be possible to freeze and free flow the first stage but if done in short bursts I wouldn't expect a problem.

NWGratefulDiver:
Underwater? Damned if I know. I do have one in my save-a-dive kit ... so that if I need to change out an LP hose I have options.

I would assume he carries one for pretty much the same reason.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
That's kinda what I was thinking Bob...I couldn't see a need for it underwater. *shrug*

MikeFerrara:
i've done it both ways...inflating with the primary and by exhaling into the bag. I still prefer to exhale into the bag. I feel like I have more control and hiting the purge button in cold water just goes against my nature. Even though you're not purging mych air or doing it all that fast.

Same here, haven't had a problem using a purge either. A slow careful burst is no different than taking a normal breath IMO. I like to exhale a little air into the bag to get it under control and vertical, then give a slow purge.

Slow being the key word here.

Back
Top Bottom