What regulator do you guys recommend for deep water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAK52580:
Poseidon's are OK, but they require an environmental seal on them. I dive a SP MK25/S600 and have never had any problems with it. I dove it to 34 degrees and it breathed like a charm. Just make sure not to breathe it on the surface before you descend to avoid possible condensation build-up and you will be fine. Although this is not just a SP recommendation. You shouldn't breathe ANY reg on the surface prior to a cold water dive.

I love my reg, and just bought an identical second for my doubles.

Only time I needed an enviornmental seal on my poseiden was for shallow Ice dive. Not for in the water but out of the water.
In water temps were 34-36 deg, and reg performed flawlessly. The problem was on surface water in the diaprham chamber froze up in the 15 deg air (w/-17 deg or so wind chill)

Lots of views, preferences, favorites on this question, always. Most regs today are great equipment, although some are better suited for DEPTH. I use Zeagle and Poseidon often. Scubapro and Apeks are good choices as well. (If your deep dives are going to be cold that is certainly a factor as well) Look at what is available locally for you.
Norm

apeks cant go wrong with them , then zeagle , atomics, scubaPro

KidK9:
I'm going to start my advanced nitrox, decompression procedures, and extended range in the next month or 2. I of course will be getting a DIN setup, but I'm wondering what regs you guys recommend? Thanks
I would suggested poseidon, I dive with them on my twin set and on my side slungs, I find them a little harder to breath with upto 10 metres but after that sound, abit more expensive then most reg's but your lifes worth it

I have several. DS4's, Black Pearl, ATX 200, TX40.....

I think that the big thing with regs is that you have to have them serviced and adjusted properly. My take on it is that most people can't tell the difference anyway :06: , and the differences are from tuning more do than the reg. I know that there are plenty of lower quality regs out there and I am referring to differences between the top of the line stuff.

Look over how many ports you will need (and position) for your future rig setup and start there. For example, ATX 200's are great but in my mind do not rig as neatly on doubles as the DS4's..... so that helps me make the decision.

Good luck

The new Poseidon Xstream 1st stages use a thermodynamic heatsink, no more rum filled rubber cups needed (darn). "Full" servicing on the Xstreams is required only every 2 years, so that may be a consideration.
Shipping the critters out runs $6 - $8 each way, so if your local shop charges a bundle it may even be cheaper to use a competent non-local shop.
If I didn't have Poseidon regs coming out of my ears I'd probably go with an Apeks.

Aqualung LX Supremes: environmentally sealed first stages, overbalanced, rates easiest breathing (check WOB tests--it is possible that there is now something that beats it as I have had mine for a year now and I have have not checked to see what has come out in the past year). Service is inexpensive (try that with Poseidon!) because parts are covered for life under warranty.

I do out of air drills on a regular basis. I have had a chance to take a breath from these regulators, side by side, with almost everything else on the market. I have never had an easier breathing regulator. I have also had mine down to over 200+ and they still breathe effortlessly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom