What regulator do you guys recommend for deep water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've use my Aqualung Micra ADJ, but only for the reef diving.

I've got one too that I got about 4 years ago. I don't really like how easy it free-flows when it's out of the mouth. It breaths great, but get the mouthpiece pointed a bit up and it starts freeflowing.

I recommend Poseidon.

ShakaZulu:
I like the black ones, they work well. Apeks bro............5 million DIR divers can't be wrong.

5 million, really.............................. surely you must mean PADI................. :D

Back on thread..... Current world record on open circuit scuba is on a Mares Abyss, 313m. And yes he lived :wink:

Atticus:
The shop I work with suggests Apeks DS4's to our tech students. They are (relatively) inexpensive, easy to service, and common.

I dive DS4's to 200' regularly and am very happy with them.

As was mentioned, a critical factor is going to be service - what lines does the shop you dive out of carry and service?

[my opinion] If you choose Poseidon look into the service costs up front. A good talk with your repair technician along of the lines of "What is this regulator likely to cost me per year" is probably in order. They are excellent regs, but (usually) require more effort to keep functional.

Atticus

What do you use as a second stage?

Get a pair of Mares MR12 Protons. Great performers, light weight (a big bonus if travelling to remote locations), relatively inexpensive and will definitely do the job for any dives within the extended range course depths.

MAK52580:
Myself and 4 of my dive buddies tried the MK25/X650 combo on a trip to the Bahamas in January. It breathed wet for every one of us. Although I am a fan of SP, until the refine the X650 and work out all the kinks, I would not recommend it.

Am surprised to see so many comments about the s600. i have been using mk25.s600. Have been diving it constantly since starting. 4 degree water at times and over 30 metres at other times and no probs. Has always breathed like a dream. Is interesting to see what problems can occur in the same product worldwide.

DA Aquamaster:
I also use low pressure (2250-2400psi) tanks and I think this makes a big difference.

I'm confused (happens occasionally) and must be missing something in what you said.

Say I have an LP tank and am taking a breath that causes, say 1 liter of air to pass through my 1'st stage. Now I put the same reg setup on a high pressure tank. There's still 1 liter of air coming through there per breath. The flow rate/pressure differential on my second stage has not changed, that's isolated at the first stage (or at least I thought this was always the case). So how does using the LP tank make your second stage less likely to freeze - or was the context about first stages freezing?

Brian Gilpin:
Atticus

What do you use as a second stage?

On my DS4's I have TX50s, on my ATX200's I have the ATX200 second stages.

I also have an ATX50 with an ATX50 second on it.

I believe I have the part numbers correct for the second stages; I don't really think about them much.

-Merlin

Atticus:
On my DS4's I have TX50s, on my ATX200's I have the ATX200 second stages.

I also have an ATX50 with an ATX50 second on it.

I believe I have the part numbers correct for the second stages; I don't really think about them much.

-Merlin

Thanks for getting back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom