Which BP/W system to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never *ever* suggested only DSS gear is fit to dive, or that anybody that chooses some other path is a lessor diver. For you to imply that I have is uncalled for.
I never implied anything of the sort and you know it.

Again what is in question here? What is the most reasonable, most cost effective, most likely to be useful information to provide to a *New* diver looking into his *first* BP&W.
Your gear fits the original question nicely. My only issue is the people who adopt the "If you even think you want it, you must not know what you are talking about." or, "It's only there to make the Scuba Company more money." attitude.

But alas, they are a small but vocal group.

I never implied anything of the sort and you know it.

When you quote me or reference me by name in a response the implication is you are responding to my words. It is specifically my intent when I quote you.

Your gear fits the original question nicely. My only issue is the people who adopt the "If you even think you want it, you must not know what you are talking about." or, "It's only there to make the Scuba Company more money." attitude.

One more time. The OP declared himself to be a *new Diver* seeking help with selecting a BP&W. By his own admission he lacks the experience to know what he needs and or wants.

Tobin

I'm in the same position as the OP. I don't know what you decided but as soon as I get the cash I'm buying from Tobin.

- Best support, I talked directly to the guy who designed them, dives them, and supports them
- He manufactures just about every part in house including the molded plastic parts and RF sealing the wing bladders.

it kinda sells itself..

Andy, no need to correct anything. :wink:

It's always hard to sell simple vs "more features" Today's consumers are conditioned to expect more features. Just look at the "cockpit" of today's autos vs one from 20-30 years ago.

I was just having a conversation with someone on this very topic the other day. Its funny how people feel they need power windows, power seats, power mirrors etc..... But the first time a motor in the window goes out it cost well over 300 dollars or more to get it replaced. With the older more reliable hand crank you just go to Auto Zone and buy a new crank for aout 10 dollars.

I become amazed at how people want the in dash navigational system that when it eventually goes bad they cry because its over 1000 dollars to get the system replaced versus a simple 200 dollar GPS from best buy.

People are sold on what they see not what the reality is in many cases too. All too many times people go looking for a regulator and walk into a dive shop looking for a simple one to do shallow dives with. The clerk then takes them back to the catalac model and preaches the buy or die scenario to the customer. Then the customer realizes with experience he was shafted by a money hungry clerk and blames it on the diving world as a whole and never comes back to diving.

People should do more research on what they buy instead of looking online and reading the sellers reviews (which always make the product sound like its the greatest thing you can buy no matter which product you choose.) Go out and ask people who have simliar items have and get hard facts not opinions. Dont take someone saying this is a piece of crap as a turn off but instead find out WHY its a piece of crap. On the other hand dont take someone saying this is the best you can get but instead ask WHY its the best one can get. I see way too many people buy something soley off of someone elses opinion which is never a good thing.

The american way of life hinges on bigger is better when many times less is actually best.

Last edited:
Agreed.

People can't see the harm in a plastic QR buckle snapping...... wait until you've had that happen on day 2 of your dream liveaboard holiday...

I'm in the same position as the OP. I don't know what you decided but as soon as I get the cash I'm buying from Tobin.

- Best support, I talked directly to the guy who designed them, dives them, and supports them
- He manufactures just about every part in house including the molded plastic parts and RF sealing the wing bladders IN THE USA.

it kinda sells itself..

There, fixed it for you. :wink:

Agreed.

People can't see the harm in a plastic QR buckle snapping...... wait until you've had that happen on day 2 of your dream liveaboard holiday...

No biggie - the boat can rent you a poodle jacket!

:eyebrow:

DevonDiver
It's a very simple mind set to embrace, "Plan every dive for the highest probability of making and completing a dive before you even enter the water!"

Last edited:
This thread is nuts......

The back and forth seems crazy......

Dive and let dive......

Each diver has to make their own choices...I don't look at a someones gear and decide if I would or would not dive with them.....

I have seen great divers with hog, BCD, chlorine bleached brown with Aquaseal all over it BCD), soft pack, hard pack, vintage, loaded harness, Hawaiian rig, old school BCD (parkway with styrofoam inserts), rebreather, no wing, double bladder wing......etc...

It's about the diver not the gear.....once you find what works for you, it works.....

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom