Why Sling to The Left?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no long hose, nor do I have a DPV. I sling to my left as I am right-handed and placing it on the left leaves my right hand as the less obstructed.

I've found, by the way, that when I'm in proper horizontal trim, in the water, I don't have any conflict between the pony and inflator, even in my old jacket BC.

multiple stages (5-6) can be split between left and right sides as necessary. Light cannister, long hose, all add to the complication but if you need it, you have to pack it, so make sure they are arranged in the proper order for use and deployment. If it';s a single stage, I just swing it to the left, learned that way, use it that way, now I like it that way. Learn it right, do it right, it'll be right... there when you want it in the dark.

nereas:
NWD, now ask Jason if he knows why the longer hose? Other than, that is what he was told to do by somebody.

Please go ahead and ask, I would be happy to explain it.
My post was in reference to the OPs question of why do so many people who sling their bottles do so on the left, it was not about "WHY the longer hose".

nereas: you must believe you live in a world where you are the only one who can think for himself.

Jasonmh:
Please go ahead and ask, I would be happy to explain it.
My post was in reference to the OPs question of why do so many people who sling their bottles do so on the left, it was not about "WHY the longer hose".

nereas: you must believe you live in a world where you are the only one who can think for himself.

I believe you gave a poor answer, that is what I believe. And your poor answer has nothing to do with me.

nereas:
I believe you gave a poor answer, that is what I believe. And your poor answer has nothing to do with me.

Tell us how you route your long hose to ensure a slung bottle on the right side does not interfere with full deployment of the hose. Maybe you are doing something different where this does not affect you, and we could all learn something...
BUT, spouting off with stuff like I am just doing what someone told me to do, does not help.

I sling it on my left for several of the reasons already listed. I'm right handed and like to leave it as unobstructed as possible. When I use it I bring the hose behind my neck and then into my mouth. Since I dive a long hose this is the more comfortable position for my hose routing. To do this with my pony it needs to be on my left. Also, diving a long hose I prefer to leave the right side unencumbered. While I can see how you could sling it on the right and still use a long hose, I prefer to keep the clutter on the right to a minimum. Another reason comes from the DIR world. There is no right waist D-ring in DIR so there would be no lower attachment point. I'm not DIR myself, just stating the reason some would give. Then again, a DIR diver wouldn't be using a pony anyway now would they.

Jasonmh:
Tell us how you route your long hose to ensure a slung bottle on the right side does not interfere with full deployment of the hose. Maybe you are doing something different where this does not affect you, and we could all learn something...
BUT, spouting off with stuff like I am just doing what someone told me to do, does not help.

Ugh! Not again.

Now what did CBulla tell me about situations like this?

Oh yah, now I remember. Where is that IGNOR button ...

OP...IMO you can sling your 'pony' on either side---no problem.

If you are diving a 7' hose it is mostly customary to sling a single bottle to the left side. Its also comfortable to sling 2 bottles on the left. My pers. choice when typically diving 2 bottles is to sling 1 on each side regardless of a light canister or the 7' hose .....and it is no problem deploying a 7' hose from the right side with a slung bottle.....if it bothers you then tuck the hose in your waist belt. I am even a follower of lefty lean and righty rich when I do sling 2 bottle to the l/r configuration. I don't dive a DPV,,,outside of a few yearly spins recreationly, so back wash is not an issue. When diving multiple bottles of 3-4 it becomes much easier to handle those split up IMO also.

As to a single small pony bottle I would sugg. the left....but its your bottle so place it were you feel most comfortable!

nereas:
Ugh! Not again.

Now what did MSilvia tell me about situations like this?

Oh yah, now I remember. Where is that IGNOR button ...

If a legitimate question asking to share information about how you do things makes you want to ignore me, then feel free. I thought you would like to back up your point with some additional info or examples, and in the process help the OP and anyone else understand the issues involved.

Back
Top Bottom