Why Sling to The Left?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy:
OP...IMO you can sling your 'pony' on either side---no problem.

If you are diving a 7' hose it is mostly customary to sling a single bottle to the left side. Its also comfortable to sling 2 bottles on the left. My pers. choice when typically diving 2 bottles is to sling 1 on each side regardless of a light canister or the 7' hose .....and it is no problem deploying a 7' hose from the right side with a slung bottle.....if it bothers you then tuck the hose in your waist belt. I am even a follower of lefty lean and righty rich when I do sling 2 bottle to the l/r configuration. I don't dive a DPV,,,outside of a few yearly spins recreationly, so back wash is not an issue. When diving multiple bottles of 3-4 it becomes much easier to handle those split up IMO also.

As to a single small pony bottle I would sugg. the left....but its your bottle so place it were you feel most comfortable!

Excellent summary.

nereas:
I believe you gave a poor answer, that is what I believe. And your poor answer has nothing to do with me.

Sir,
No need to berate or talk down to Jason. I think we can all be adults and discuss things without talking down to him.

Respectfully,

Ben

texdiveguy:
....and it is no problem deploying a 7' hose from the right side with a slung bottle.....if it bothers you then tuck the hose in your waist belt. ...

Great, maybe you can tell me how you route everything on your setup, and do you change the way the hose is routed depending on if you do have a bottle on the right or not?
When I tried it in my default setup, with no changes for the fact that a bottle will be on the right side, I seem to get the hose trapped between the top and bottom snap. Are you attaching the bottle first, then routing the hose around the outside of the bottle?

Jasonmh:
Great, maybe you can tell me how you route everything on your setup, and do you change the way the hose is routed depending on if you do have a bottle on the right or not?
When I tried it in my default setup, with no changes for the fact that a bottle will be on the right side, I seem to get the hose trapped between the top and bottom snap.

* Are you attaching the bottle first, then routing the hose around the outside of the bottle?

Jason....yes that is what I do....the bottle is clipped off and then the hose is routed 'last'....my practice is to always route the hose last to avoid entrapment of the 7' hose.....I have done that in the past( getting hose entrapped)....luckly I caught it and learned my lesson. :wink:

texdiveguy:
Jason....yes that is what I do....the bottle is clipped off and then the hose is routed 'last'....my practice is to always route the hose last to avoid entrapment of the 7' hose.....I have done that in the past( getting hose entrapped)....luckly I caught it and learned my lesson. :wink:

Cool, thanks for explaining it.

Jasonmh:
Cool, thanks for explaining it.

No problem....happy and safe diving!!!

NorthWoodsDiver:
I have to ask why does everyone keep their pony slung on the left.

Thats kinda personal dont you think.. :rofl3:

ok, I find that its less problems with interferance with hoses if its mounted on the left.. Also dive caniters are usually mounted on the right so you balance yourself out..

Only problem I have seen so far is the pony gets in the way of my computer.. But I've gotten used to it..

Tim Greaves:
Thats kinda personal dont you think.. :rofl3:

ok, I find that its less problems with interferance with hoses if its mounted on the left.. Also dive caniters are usually mounted on the right so you balance yourself out..

Only problem I have seen so far is the pony gets in the way of my computer.. But I've gotten used to it..

Throw that baby on your wrist and you'll be good to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom