Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but I got the impression that the Fijians do not judge people by how much money they give or do not.

Yeah. We all are different and in any case we are customer / tourist. Even for the most awfull customer you have to treat him with respect and with the same quality. Or change job. Change business far aware to customers or even people specially when you met different culture.

Im not on computer I can't quote. But Scuba K7 according to your profile you are instructor. Show some love bro' your 'that diver' is kinda bad judging...

Yeah. We all are different and in any case we are customer / tourist. Even for the most awfull customer you have to treat him with respect and with the same quality. Or change job. Change business far aware to customers or even people specially when you met different culture.

Im not on computer I can't quote. But Scuba K7 according to your profile you are instructor. Show some love bro' your 'that diver' is kinda bad judging...
No, no one HAS to treat an awful customer with respect, show no respect to me or my co-workers and you can get the **** on and go elsewhere, here we have the right to refuse service to those types!

If I go to AU, I don't tip, why? That's the custom. FL Keys, I'll tip because that's the custom. Yes I have no problem passing judgment..whether it's that diver or joe diver, in fact I get paid to pass judgment. You'll get what you get and give, and I'll get what I get and give. Insulting the locals is not in my play book wherever I may go, even if I plan on never returning. There's some love for ya! Cheers

This is interesting. LOL

In any case US and MX are not the center of the world specially speaking about diving and mentality. You and your co-workers are not the only one who can bring such great and higher standards of quality and maybe better respect. Even for tourist who might not paid a tipping.

Alright time to sleep and it will be a nice night. I will still stand with "choose your instructor" should work the same for "local dive center/shop"

I had a coworker that used to work handling baggage and shuttling people from the airport to hotels. He's now well employed and it's been years since that job. He still hates Canadians, Brits, and Aussies. I asked him why and he said, "They don't tip but expect the same service as people that do".

I tried to explain that tipping isn't part of those cultures. He wasn't having any of it.

Leave whatever impression of yourself you choose.

Personally I would follow the local traditions and if that meant not tipping I wouldn’t tip. But also here in Florida I have giving really good tips for excellent service but on the other hand I have giving bad tips for ridiculous service.

Growing up I fished on a party boat every chance I could and I became a regular and would do all my own things including marking fish and going into employee only sections regardless I knew crew worked for tips so I would always throw $10-20 to the crew.

I didn’t mean to be insulting but the question was what happens if you don’t tip in places where it is the culture and I gave the top two answers that came to mind. Last year we went to Japan and in reading up about the trip read that it was insulting to leave a tip so we did not. As for being European or not I am Irish and my husband is English but we both believe in respecting local customs. No one says you have to do anything but I don’t get the point of arguing over another cultures customs. Not one single one of us does everything right but only what hopefully works best for us. Whats the problem with showing respect for others?

The OP asked what is typical for a specific location. I just read 45 posts arguing the pros and cons of tipping. Sometimes it may be prudent to read the original post and when posting try to respond to their question. It has been informative, but I'm still not sure what the typical tip for a 2-tank boat dive out of PCB is. :)

Cheers -

Crap, another TIP thread. $TEN DOLLARS PER TANK. And, no PROFESSIONAL (eg. PADI "Dive Pro") should EVER work for free. Rant for those who know me, since I'll be away from SB for 7 weeks. TMH
P.S.-- I dived with Dive Locker in PCB years ago and $10 seemed OK.

Alright I will follow local customs-

If I have to travel in US/MX it will be for cave diving and wrecks only. I'm fully capable to care and rinse my own gear at my home or european country (made UK, Spain, Belgium, Italy, Malta) and as I am kinda sure I can do the same in a US or MX boat I will make a compromise and prefer cave diving / wrecks. That way Its more fun and I will clearly have no issues at all to offer decent tips.

Impress me by offering me a beautifull cenote and I will be more than happy. And I will tip but I will still care of my gear and tanks.

It was very informative btw thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom