Underwater Towns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henryville:
(Really a reservoir, obviously) in New Milford, CT holds at least one small community (Jerusalem) and any number of sites with structure. An iron bridge across a former river is a popular site. A buddy and I dropped right into a barn foundation last fall at another site, there were harnesses, wagon springs, a jar full of shoing nails sitting on a foundation wall, it was cool but shallow and low vis.

Now that's cool! Didn't find an anvil too did you? Great story.

WD

Sounds like an amazing dive, and one you need special connections + knowledge to get in on. I'll be going there sometime in the next couple of years & would love it if you'd email me about how you get this set up, and how your trip goes.

Henry:
A friend of mine who is working in the China as a dive instructor right now just dove at The Gorge. She visited a site that was an old temple. Max depth was about 90 feet and abosolutely stunning. I am getting more details on it so I can go. But there are significant logostic issues such as getting the right contact in Beijin, hiring the boat and captain, she was only able to get fills up to 1,400 PSI and it was dirty air.

A brief qoute from a news agency "From start to finish, the project will cost up to $29 billion. More than one million people will be relocated.

When the towering 1.2-mile wide wall is complete, in 2009, it will be used for the metamorphosis of one of China's most scenic and most pristine landscapes.

The result will be a 370-mile-long lake that will consume 19 counties, 153 towns, 4,500 villages, and the scenic canyons that have inspired poets and painters for centuries."

Almost 5,000 dive sites, many of which are of historical value. Cool or what!?! I think this beats out any of the other flooded dives menntioned.

Henry

reefraff:
Lots of little hamlets were submerged by various TVA projects - check with them or with local dive clubs in the area for some locations.

As to those legendary man-eating catfish, would something like this qualify? :11:

If that doesn't I think this will:

Fish whopper: 646 pounds a freshwater record

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8404622/?GT1=6657

Even though it looks like an underwater city and is certainly a problem with the image on Google Maps, my first thought when I saw it was "check that out...how cool would that be to dive it?"

Link to secret underwater city :wink:

North of Kansas City.. not sure what the problem with the image is though.

Mangla Dam in Pakistan. A whole village was eaten by the lake that formed after its contruction. Became a big political issue. I have never dived that place though.

Anyone get wind of any good underwater cities in NC. Or any good lakes or rivers. I'm just getting into river diving and have my spots in the Lumber river but am looking to try some other places.

I have worked at Round Valley and can assure you there are no structures left. The army corps of engineer's leveled everything before it was flooded. Still a cool place to dive, but no town.

Lake berryessa had the town of Montecello, but I think it was all razed before being inundated. The old stone bridge is divable though, and at sever drought times, you can walk to it. Like they said, usually just foundations. Boca Resevoiur also had the town of Boca. Located just behind the dam from what I have been told. Still rements visable below the dam on the dry side of the dam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom