Battle of BCs (Another one)

And the last BC standing isssssss .....

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i carry a spare weight belt in my bag in case I have to use the rip cord system. If there is an off chance when I do have to ditch (and my weights can be recovered), I can just throw them in a weight belt and re-thread the ranger later.

Zeagle get's hammered on this ripcord thing. You only use it in an emergency. I've been diving for 30 some years. Never ditched my weight. Belt, pocket, rip cord, whatever. Never.

Carrying a spare belt is a good idea as there are always block weights around.

Still, with the Zeagle pockets, you can unzip and dump part of your weights. The trim pockets in the lower position can be dumped as well.

Good idea for a poll. Who has had to ditch weights. Maybe when I get a round tuit, i'll post one.

Honestly, both of those BCs are junk. Too much lift, and too much extra crap dangling everywhere. Go to DeepSeaSupply and get a high quality, modular, tough backplate/wing setup -- for a price that's right in the middle of the two you mentioned (stainless steel backplate, standard hogarthian harness, LCD30 single tank wing with 22mil [thicker than normal] bladder).

I love this website, but one thing that pisses me off is everyone telling people to forget BCDs and buy a BP/W. What gives you the right to tell me what to do with my money?

Everytime I see a thread dealing with BCs in any way, someone always pops in and chants BP/W !!! It gets annoying very fast. If a BP/W wing is so superior to everything, why do dive shops primarily sell jacket or back inflated BCs?

Not everyone who dives is a technical diver.

Dont know much about the Black Diamond, but I love my Ranger.

I love this website, but one thing that pisses me off is everyone telling people to forget BCDs and buy a BP/W. What gives you the right to tell me what to do with my money?
When did I ever tell you (you especially) how to spend your money? Answer: never. Heck, I never told anyone how to spend their money. I just put my opinion in the mix.

SkyAce2004:
Everytime I see a thread dealing with BCs in any way, someone always pops in and chants BP/W !!! It gets annoying very fast. If a BP/W wing is so superior to everything, why do dive shops primarily sell jacket or back inflated BCs?
Because most dive shops are best described by the word "clueless".

SkyAce2004:
Not everyone who dives is a technical diver.
I'm not a technical diver. Neither are the brand new open water students at the university scuba program where I volunteer, who all start out using a backplate/wing setup.

When did I ever tell you (you especially) how to spend your money? Answer: never. Heck, I never told anyone how to spend their money. I just put my opinion in the mix.

Go to DeepSeaSupply and get a high quality, modular, tough backplate/wing setup -- for a price that's right in the middle of the two you mentioned

As far as I know, ive never spoke to you before. Im speaking in a generalizing matter. You are also not the only one im referring to. Im just annoyed with everyone saying "buy a BP/W" // "ah, you wasted your money on that BC, should have gone with a BP/W"

I purchased a Ranger with peace of mind knowing I can later modify it, and expand to a BP/W setup as my technical skills evolve. I did hours of research before I made my purchase. The ONLY negative thing ive heard about this BC in consistency is the ripcord system. (And how many times have you ever had to ditch your weights?)

How is an oversized lift bladder junk? How are D rings junk? What does the ranger have on it that you would classify as "extra useless junk"

I cant say this enough but it just rubs me the wrong way when you elitist's keep going on about minimal whatever. Maybe I want the features the Ranger has. To each their own, but dang you guys are pushy.

I dont know where you live, but I live in South Florida. It seems this board has A LOT of northern/cold water divers. Maybe thats why im seeing what I am.

(And how many times have you ever had to ditch your weights?)
Never. :wink:

SkyAce2004:
How is an oversized lift bladder junk? How are D rings junk? What does the ranger have on it that you would classify as "extra useless junk"
Oversized lift bladders tend to increase drag, making it more difficult to move through the water. Something more streamlined allows you to slip through the water with ease. 65lbs for a single tank wing? Ridiculous... Not that it matters since most divers are completely vertical or dive at a 45º angle anyway, but I digress. :shakehead:
I have a friend with a DeepSeaSupply LCD30 wing. Fully inflated, when viewed from the front, you can't see it behind him.

D-rings aren't junk -- they're great. I have 5 on my harness in specific locations for specific jobs. Anything more than that, imho, is excess. I feel the ones on the Ranger aren't in optimal locations.

ZGLT.jpg

Extra useless stuff -- cummerbund, chest snap, d-rings where you don't need them (extra D-rings too; I'm counting 12 if you count the plastic ones), quick releases, etc.

SkyAce2004:
I cant say this enough but it just rubs me the wrong way when you elitist's keep going on about minimal whatever. Maybe I want the features the Ranger has. To each their own, but dang you guys are pushy.
Not pushy -- just don't want people to buy stuff they don't need, and will probably never use. Not elitist at all.

SkyAce2004:
I dont know where you live, but I live in South Florida. It seems this board has A LOT of northern/cold water divers. Maybe thats why im seeing what I am.
I'm in NC (check out my profile :wink:). While we have chilly water now, in the summer it is warm enough to dive without a wetsuit if you wanted to...

Go here and read. Great gear setup...

Well, like I said earlier.. I did hours of research before I made my purchase and the Ranger fits me well for my diving skills. As I advance and progress, I know I can adapt the ranger (and convert to a BP/W later on in time). For now, it does what I need it to do.

Ive seen that website and have it bookmarked. I dont have all that gear. I barely have the minimal stuff to even be diving. Heck, I just got certified back in Sept. But living in FL, im very used to snorkeling. (mask clearing, kicking techniques, swimming). I picked up the OW fast and ive already started practicing on the "tech" skills. Mainly now, im trying to zero in my trim. Im still a little bottom heavy because I have lean muscular legs. Even after shifting weight around on my BC, I think ill need to purchase a farmer john wetsuit.

Ill be getting my Nitrox certification in about 2 weeks, and Ill be going for my AOW in mid april. Then after I get comfortable and the task load is 2nd nature, ill be going for cave training so I can go play around in Ginnie Springs in northern FL. Im only 22 years old, so I hope to keep diving throughout my lifetime and get better as I age.

Sorry for coming off like a dick, but this hobby isnt cheap. And when you are a college student, you just dont have the money to throw around to buy new gear. I just cant stand it with people say "BUY THIS" and then just ride it to no end.

Yes, I know the a BP/W setup is minimalist and reduces drag and is very streamlined. But thats not what I wanted to start off with.

I purchased a Ranger some years ago and while I paid way too much for it ($500) at a Dive Shop on a trip because my original US Divers Calypso BC mysteriously shrunk over the years. The model I bought was before the Rip Cord system and only had the Velcro weight pockets with red fabric pull handles. I used it exclusively for about 6 years. I have loved it! I have also recently (1.5 years ago) purchased a BP/W. I went all out and got the nifty one with BLUE H's because it looks COOL! I do however feel it has significantly improved the way I dive. I feel it has really streamlined me in the water, allowing me to further trim the amount of unnecessary weight I have previously carried. It is easier to don/doff and pack. As a DM I assist a good friend who instructs with Open Water Classes. I have also enjoyed at least exposing students to alternative gear kits. (I use my trusty old Ranger for Confined Water Training, in order to conform with the “Wear similar gear configuration as students” thing.

My Instructor Buddy doesn’t dive a BP/W but knowing my affinity for it has no issues with me using it for the Open Water Dives and even agrees with the benefit of students seeing alternative gear configurations.

I am proceeding with my Instructor Training in April/May and have just recently purchased a new SEASOFT PRO BC (a jacket style BC) to use for Teaching (my old Ranger is still very much functional but a little cosmetically rough due to a couple hundred Open Water (Salt, Fresh and Chlorine) Dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom