Battle of BCs (Another one)

And the last BC standing isssssss .....

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just recently switched from a Seaquest Balance that I really liked to a Ranger simply because the fit of the Ranger was better for me. I used an XL Balance and now have a LG Ranger. I have a long torso but I'm not very wide and the shoulder adjustments on the Zeagle made it fit well without having the waist dance around me.

Also the Ranger will take smaller & larger bladders as well as carry twin tanks.
Here's a link to a video of the re-threading of the Rip-cord. Make your own decision!
IMHO it's not as easy as the sure-lock of the Aqualung BC, but also it's not brain surgery either.
If you can use dive tables you can re-thread this bc!
Oh wait maybe that's the problem:D!

I thought this thread was of opinions on these two BC's Not about weight distribution. Lets stick to the subject guys, if not start your own thread:popcorn: and give me the link cause the fight is pretty good !!

I do agree that the Ripcord system is a No-Brainer, they even have a video and a guide, what more do you want !!! Someone to do it for you.

The purpose of the weight release system is emergency, how many dive emergencies do you have? You shouldn't have any with the proper training and Buddy checks !!

Anyway I never plan to use mine....I see it as a safe quick system and I won't need to buy new pockets if I ever need to ditch them.

Love the flexability in sizing of the Ranger. Mine has a waist section that is a different size than the shoulder harness. Love that it's two pieces and you can get them in different sizes at no extra charge. It is so comfortable, and was the most secure fitting BC i have used. Having the huge bladder took some adjustment. Like Scubatoys Brigade, that's a great idea.

I thought this thread was of opinions on these two BC's Not about weight distribution. Lets stick to the subject guys, if not start your own thread:popcorn: and give me the link cause the fight is pretty good !!

I do agree that the Ripcord system is a No-Brainer, they even have a video and a guide, what more do you want !!! Someone to do it for you.

The purpose of the weight release system is emergency, how many dive emergencies do you have? You shouldn't have any with the proper training and Buddy checks !!

Anyway I never plan to use mine....I see it as a safe quick system and I won't need to buy new pockets if I ever need to ditch them.

I beg to differ. I pull my weight pouches out at the surface before boarding the dive boat and hand them up to someone making it easier to climb up the ladder. That may not be a big deal in warmer climates carrying minimal weight but in cold water such as Lake Superior wearing a full 7mm farmer john bibs with a 7mm shorty over the top plus gloves, hood and boots you need to carry a lot more weight. I would give the edge to the Sure-Lock system over the Zeagle threaded system in that case. I do still think a normal weight belt is just as easy to use though when you take it off you are handing your full weight up instead of half at a time.

Gaffer

I beg to differ. I pull my weight pouches out at the surface before boarding the dive boat and hand them up to someone making it easier to climb up the ladder. That may not be a big deal in warmer climates carrying minimal weight but in cold water such as Lake Superior wearing a full 7mm farmer john bibs with a 7mm shorty over the top plus gloves, hood and boots you need to carry a lot more weight. I would give the edge to the Sure-Lock system over the Zeagle threaded system in that case. I do still think a normal weight belt is just as easy to use though when you take it off you are handing your full weight up instead of half at a time.

Gaffer

This is the biggest misconception with regards to the Zeagle system.
You CAN remove the weights from the Zeagle without pulling the ripcord and dumping the weights.
You simply unzip the weight pockets and remove the weight pouches, then hand 'em up.

I have a black diamond but you aren't getting factory warranty at leisurepro.

Without trying to hijack the thread, L.P.'s warranty is actually BETTER than the manufacturers. The duration is the same and they'll just give you a new item, they won't even attempt to repair a broken item. I like new. I dive an Oceanic Chute 3 (bought at an l.d.s.) and love it. O.K. I hijacked. Sue me.

This is the biggest misconception with regards to the Zeagle system.
You CAN remove the weights from the Zeagle without pulling the ripcord and dumping the weights.
You simply unzip the weight pockets and remove the weight pouches, then hand 'em up.

My bad. I actually thought about that a few seconds after I posted, seeing as it did not make sense to me to design a BC that way. I suspected that there must be a way to remove the weights short of the ripcord and when I looked at the Ranger online I saw how it works and I would have to say that it would have the advantage of only losing your weights in an emergency vs losing the Sure-lock pouches along with the weights on a Seaquest BC. As a matter of fact I once lost a sure-lock pouch on my Pro QD because it wasnt snapped in all the way and fell out. I am severely hearing impaired and when I take out my hearing aids prior to diving and have a hood on I am for all practical purposes completely deaf and can not hear the click when the pouch is snapped in.

Gaffer

I have had my ranger for 100+ dives I bought it used and have had no problems no little things breaking no fraying etc...

My bad. I actually thought about that a few seconds after I posted, seeing as it did not make sense to me to design a BC that way. I suspected that there must be a way to remove the weights short of the ripcord and when I looked at the Ranger online I saw how it works and I would have to say that it would have the advantage of only losing your weights in an emergency vs losing the Sure-lock pouches along with the weights on a Seaquest BC. As a matter of fact I once lost a sure-lock pouch on my Pro QD because it wasnt snapped in all the way and fell out. I am severely hearing impaired and when I take out my hearing aids prior to diving and have a hood on I am for all practical purposes completely deaf and can not hear the click when the pouch is snapped in.

Gaffer

Don't feel bad. As I said it is a BIG misconception about removing weights from Zeagles. Even among retailors.
I have often said Scott (Zeagle) needs to put something on his web site in the FAQ section.

You don't need to hear anything snap when loading a Zeagle with weights. You just need to be sure to zip the pockets.
The rip cord would be hard to deploy accidentally. The handle is velcroed in place. If the thing was deployed you would see the handle flopping. The newer Zeagles have a stop so you don't loose it.Also the weights would fall out as soon as you loaded them.
Just need to be sure you load the weights in the weight posket and not the storage pocket.

Another nice thing about the zeagle system. I was out once with a guy who was underweighted with a new wetsuit. He picket up some rocks and put them in the weight pockets.

Back
Top Bottom