Conshelf fans welcomed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Conshelf SE2 with a Calypso 6 secocnd stage as octo.
These regs are so durable I'm still waiting for it to be unusable so that i will change regs. but i think these might out live my diving years. And I'm already diving since 1981.
During the early years my main air supply is the Calypso 6.
Logged in more than 500 dives then I just stopped counting.

Calvinator:
Is Aqualung able to sell the 1st Stage and 2nd Stage Primary separately? I'm not sure whether my LDS can provide me the Legend 1st Stage and Conshelf XIV 2nd Stage only. I saw them having both, but in full sets. What my concern is, they might tell me to get both full sets and combine them myself to get the combination that I wanted.

Calvin.

Yes! they will sell them seperately. Your dive shop should be able and willing to set it up. If you already have the Conshelf why would you want to order it again? just pick up the 1st stage and combine them.

Hall

OK, since I haven't bought a regulator in many, many years, I haven't really looked at the new ones. Heck, I can remember having to test dive a prototype UW diver communication system for SUNY Selden because the other oceanographer's regulator was a Calypso J with only ONE LP port. The comm system required a second LP port and my Connie XI had 2 LP ports. Damn cold test in January in Long Island Sound to boot!

Back to the original post though, I do not think that the Conshelf series came with multiple HP ports. Of course, you could always substitute a first stage from another regulator and use a Conshelf second stage.

Hallmac:
Yes! they will sell them seperately. Your dive shop should be able and willing to set it up. If you already have the Conshelf why would you want to order it again? just pick up the 1st stage and combine them.

Hall

That's my problem, I don't have them both. Neither the Conshelf XIV 2nd stage primary nor the Legend 1st stage. :eyebrow:

Why do you believe that you will have a better regulator if you "pick and choose" components?

garyfotodiver:
Why do you believe that you will have a better regulator if you "pick and choose" components?

I don't believe that I'll get a better combination compared to the standard ones. It's just my personal preference. That's all. :wink:

Technically, the original combinations for each Conshelf XIV and Legend should be better when suited with their respective 1st and 2nd stages. But, the Conshelf XIV 2nd stage looks better than the Legend 2nd stage. And the Legend 1st stage has 2 HP ports, which is what I need: 1 for analog gauge and 1 for transmitter.

Regards,
Calvin. :eyebrow:

Calvinator:
I don't believe that I'll get a better combination compared to the standard ones. It's just my personal preference. That's all. :wink:

Technically, the original combinations for each Conshelf XIV and Legend should be better when suited with their respective 1st and 2nd stages. But, the Conshelf XIV 2nd stage looks better than the Legend 2nd stage. And the Legend 1st stage has 2 HP ports, which is what I need: 1 for analog gauge and 1 for transmitter.

Regards,
Calvin. :eyebrow:

so why not buy a standard legend, and use the provided second stage as an octo and use your precious conshelf as a primary. If looks are more important to you than performance. Don't know why you would want to do that. Too lazy to check but has it been mentioned that the legend is over balanced and the conshelf is not balanced.? Less than ideal

I would not mix and match if it could be avoided, not because it could not be made to work but because it is less than ideal and you really don't gain enough with the remote/mechanical spg combination to make it worthwhile.

Consequently I would be more inclined to stick with a conshelf first stage and change my perception of needing two HP ports for both a transmitter and a mechanical SPG.

If the transmitter fails, just abort the dive. You should be checking it frequently enough to know within a couple hundred psi how much you have left, and if you have not been checking it enough, it's irrelevent as you either have enough air to finish the dive, or you don't and having a backup SPG announce the fact you are screwed does not really do much for you as Elvis will have already left the building so to speak.

If you end up having to abort more than once a season, then just dump the transmitter and use a regular SPG. In my experience, the transmitter can be unreliable and a normal SPG makes more sense. In 20 years of diving and over 1700 dives, I have never had a mechancial SPG fail.

rescuediver009:
so why not buy a standard legend, and use the provided second stage as an octo and use your precious conshelf as a primary. If looks are more important to you than performance. Don't know why you would want to do that. Too lazy to check but has it been mentioned that the legend is over balanced and the conshelf is not balanced.? Less than ideal

is the conshelf 14 not balanced? i didn't know that. so to say, that making a legend into an octopus is quite costly.

DA Aquamaster:
I would not mix and match if it could be avoided, not because it could not be made to work but because it is less than ideal and you really don't gain enough with the remote/mechanical spg combination to make it worthwhile.

Consequently I would be more inclined to stick with a conshelf first stage and change my perception of needing two HP ports for both a transmitter and a mechanical SPG.

If the transmitter fails, just abort the dive. You should be checking it frequently enough to know within a couple hundred psi how much you have left, and if you have not been checking it enough, it's irrelevent as you either have enough air to finish the dive, or you don't and having a backup SPG announce the fact you are screwed does not really do much for you as Elvis will have already left the building so to speak.

If you end up having to abort more than once a season, then just dump the transmitter and use a regular SPG. In my experience, the transmitter can be unreliable and a normal SPG makes more sense. In 20 years of diving and over 1700 dives, I have never had a mechancial SPG fail.

the problem is, most mechanical depth gauges tend to corrode at the max depth reset screw and it gets very tight.

Back
Top Bottom