2007 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree totally. Shula should have had a couple of more years to work on the team. I'm not from Bama, but from what I hear, unless a guy is wearing a fedora and his name starts with 'Bear'- he doesn't have much leeway as far as win/loss numbers. Saban, however, is a disingenuous hump. He coaches well, but apparently is only motivated by money. Money's not a bad motivator - but it's sad to see it as the only motivator, with no loyalty or integrity attached. Ah, well, such is life and football. Thankfully I have had the good fortune of not running into any such types diving yet...

Nick the "*" Saban better turn Alabama around. Shula couldn't do it, and he had more than enough time.
It's going to be a battle in the West, and as we all know, everything could change in one day.
In the East the pressure will be too much for Florida and everyone is going to be gunning for them with even more resolve. Taking down Florida is a source of pride. Taking down Florida and preventing them from repeating as NC will be a great deal of motivation.
Now truth be known, it's who will be second to the Pac-10 again.

Well Shula was a quarterback for 'The Bear'. That's about as good as it's going to get to having another "Bear".

One of the problems in Bama' country is that Bear Bryant died in 1983 and even 24 years later no other coach can live up to him in their minds.

The other problem is their Atheletic Director and the schools board of directors. They have unlrealistic goals that their football program can go from nothing to a National Championship within only a couple years, while still under probation and with a reduced number of scholarhips to attract key players. I think if Shula had come into coaching this year instead of 4 years ago, he'd had much better results.

His downfall was not firing his offensive coordinator.

Mike, I agree, but I'm starting to feel that the whole probation and scholorship issues are starting to become more of a crutch rather than a legitimate excuse. Besides, aren't those issues over this year or the next? I'm not sure but I thought I remember reading that the sanctions were over soon.
There not going to go from zero to hero overnight, but there is enough talent around that they can build a great team. It's all about momentum; once they have success, their pride of playing for "Alabama" can carry them to a SEC championship at least. And once that happens, talent will be looking to Alabama as a legitimate contender.
Everyon (except Auburn fans) wants Alabama to do well. It's a traditional history thing. It's no different for USC (the real USC not that community college south of North Carolina).

Well.... If "little Johnny" has a full-ride-scholarship to another team, such as LSU, etc... it's kinda hard for Bama to compete with "we might be able to give you a scholarship" in another year or two.

As for other teams, I'm curious to see how Steve Spurrier does this year with South Carolina. He was teased with the Bama job, but he really thinks he's headed towards turning SC into a SEC championship team. It should be interesting to watch.

MPR:
In the East the pressure will be too much for Florida and everyone is going to be gunning for them with even more resolve.
They said pretty much the SAME THING about the Basketball Squad and in the end they prevailed. There is a LOT of pressure on these guys INTERNALLY to get the job done.
MPR:
Taking down Florida is a source of pride. Taking down Florida and preventing them from repeating as NC will be a great deal of motivation.
And repeating the feat is a huge motivation for Florida. The first 4-5 games were not played with the same intensity as the last half of the season. These guys went from not believing in themselves to having a steely resolve. Take that final match: NO ONE thought they would prevail much less blow them out. Urban Meyer is a class act and you can be sure he has been hard at work getting this team to get ready with a vengeance.
MPR:
Now truth be known, it's who will be second to the Pac-10 again.
I surely don't buy this. The SEC IS the toughest conference to play in and that is becoming obvious to all.

NetDoc:
They said pretty much the SAME THING about the Basketball Squad and in the end they prevailed. There is a LOT of pressure on these guys INTERNALLY to get the job done. And repeating the feat is a huge motivation for Florida. The first 4-5 games were not played with the same intensity as the last half of the season. These guys went from not believing in themselves to having a steely resolve. Take that final match: NO ONE thought they would prevail much less blow them out. Urban Meyer is a class act and you can be sure he has been hard at work getting this team to get ready with a vengeance. I surely don't buy this. The SEC IS the toughest conference to play in and that is becoming obvious to all.

I'm not saying that Florida is not up for the challenge, or that they don't have the coaching or talent to get the job done. What I am saying is that if you look at the two sides, the defenders and the offenders, the defenders are going to have a tougher time. Think of it this way. Florida is fighting to defend their national title every week. If I'm a, let's say Tennessee, I might be looking at one game to give my all, and that is Florida week. Every SEC team is going to look to take down the top dog and their season may be measured by how well they play Florida. Think of Georgia, South C., Tennessee, if these teams can beat a Florida, what do you think that will do for their standing??

Now as far as your quote about SEC being the toughest conference, that is just plain silly talk perpetuated by the typical bias running through sports today. The PAC-10 is the midnight conference and hence no one sees them play. Yet if you look at almost all the numbers, they match or exceed the SEC in stats. So does the Big-10 for that matter. The entire "we beat each other up therefore it's harder to win if you're int he SEC" is BS. The SEC is a good conference but they are not the only good conference.

Now let me say this for the record. I am not "knocking" Florida, or other SEC teams. I like watching the SEC, I have friends that I played with who played at SEC schools. I am also not attacking anyone (alum or fans) personally. But we all have bias. I played in the Pac-10 so I have some bias too. But i've been around football enough to know that college football does not rotate around the SEC.

MPR:
The SEC is a good conference but they are not the only good conference.
I didn't say that there were no other "good" conferences, only that the SEC is the toughest to play in. The SEC is really TWO conferences that play their best for the title of SEC champ. The odds are against you prevailing under this type of system. It is my hope that Florida will once again triumph! :D

I surely don't believe that the PAC10 has anything over the SEC. In this day of TEVO and delayed broadcasts, college games are seen by more fans than ever.

Go Gators!!!

Just don't go wide right on the 'Canes and the Gators will be good to go. They've got a very talented team with big holes to fill. They've got excellent players to fill those voids that haven't got the field time yet... but that'll change soon enough. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom