GUE Tech 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roakey once bubbled...
Ever notice how *every* OW student's instructor was absolutely fantastic? They don't know good from bad.

So is *every* real estate agent, what's your point?

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Seriously...find something better to do with your time.

Like what playing darts or watching people make left turns? :D

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

What is a "mute" point. A point that lacks the power of speech? If so, why is that relevant to this discussion?

Perhaps you mean "moot", a point that is "of no practical importance; irrelevant."

Aren't dictionaries wonderful things?

Rule number one (no not that rule one) of the Karl_in_Calif Memorial Ad Hominem Society is: "Don't use dictionaries to help with your posts"

Option one : Without a doubt, type it out!

This is a very interesting thread. First we have an ad hominem.
Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
Is this supposed to be written in the English language?
Followed by a counter ad hominem.
chrpai once bubbled...
Obviously there is no merit to your argument since you can only attack grammer.
Very interesting, indeed.

Genesis once bubbled...
So Kool-Aid references are very appropriate today.

This might be the most useful piece of information in this thread!

chrpai once bubbled...

I love this Internet brainwashing that GUE has perfect instructors and perfect students. Someone is trying very hard to change "its not the agency its the instructors" to "its not the instructors its the agency".

If all the instructors for all the other agencies are so damn bad, show me the body bags.

The GUE instructor I know who teaches Tech 1 went to an ITC (instructor training course), interned on 2 courses, led a course whilst being assessed, has to demonstrate thet he is diving regularly to the standard that he is teaching and is reassessed every three years.

The TDI instructor I know received a phone call after he passed his Trimix course "Send me a cheque for £20 and we'll send you a trimix instructor's ticket"

Can you spot the difference?

Chris

Since the UK only has one GUE instructor, I don't think a random sample of 1 is very helpful one way or another - if the figures on the gue website are accurate, he isn't actually _ that_ experienced in gas diving comparatively speaking anyway -especially if you take caves out of the equation.
TDI probably does have it's share of inexperienced and/or poor instructors - however it also has it's share of very experienced and good instructors - if you spend any time talking a course through with an instructor, it'll become apparant fairly early on how much experience actually _in_ the water they have.
What you need is an instructor that has been around long enough to have already seen every possible CF you could contemplate making beforehand, and hopefully to be able to pre-empt a student making them - a good instructor will probably have been around in one way or another longer than gue have been in existance.

Tibbs once bubbled...

The GUE instructor I know who teaches Tech 1 went to an ITC (instructor training course), interned on 2 courses, led a course whilst being assessed, has to demonstrate thet he is diving regularly to the standard that he is teaching and is reassessed every three years.

The TDI instructor I know received a phone call after he passed his Trimix course "Send me a cheque for £20 and we'll send you a trimix instructor's ticket"

Can you spot the difference?

Chris

Hmmm ... I do not know anything about TDI. However, after that crazy statement I had to find out if what you said is true. Apparently, it is not. Click the following link to find out what it takes to be an Entry Level Trimix Instructor for TDI:

http://www.divetekadventures.com/Classes/InstructionInstructorTrimixEL.htm

It takes significantly more than you indicated!

The usual misquotes and bad assumptions, I should have know better…

I never said that you had to be GUE trained to be good.

I never said that only GUE instructors are good.

Given the reactions from almost all divers that have taken the DIRF class (paraphrased: “Oh my gawd, I thought I was a good diver but he DIRF showed me otherwise!”) it appears that most are ill-equipped to determine if an instructor is good or not. This was true of me, too.

These are the facts, deal with them; ranting doesn’t change them.

Roak

roakey once bubbled...

These are the facts, deal with them; ranting doesn’t change them.

Roak

Just out of curiousity ... what are the facts again? All that I have seen so far is opinion and speculation. Sorry, I had to ask.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom